I just want to talk about Space Marines

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

the_taken
Knight-Baron

I just want to talk about Space Marines

Post by the_taken »

I recently discovered a huge gap in my schedule. Specifically Thursday. While trying to figure out a cheap and engaging activity to indulge in, I found myself staring at my particularly well painted Assault Marine. Realizing my other options are to either watch TV, or D-load pron, I decided to pull my army out and take up the game again. Without buying anything.

I registered on one of the GW sites, and tried to find the forumns to see if the 4th edition's changes would affect my strategy. Yeah, apparently the message boards have been gone since Wednesday November 6 2006. Now I'm slightly unnerved that I gave GW my e-mail address and age for nothing. WTF did I register for? Seriously!

In any case, my current strategy is to have many squads of good ol' marines, and have them sit in terrain while I have more specialized troops like rocketeers ganking targets of opportunity. Nothing expensive, and only one squad of heavy weapons and a roving turret (dreadnought with missile/laser combo) for the enemy vehicles. I find this tactic is particularly useful against flying Nids.

For Tau, I use terrain to avoid line of sight and goad my opponent into coming out.
I had a signature here once but I've since lost it.

My current project: http://tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=56456
Voss
Prince

Re: I just want to talk about Space Marines

Post by Voss »

Yes indeed. Depending on who you listen to, they got tired of spam and/or whining and/or complaints about the lack of errata and shut their boards down. So they have none. Best (and I use the term cautiously) alternative is warseer.com.

As for marines, this may not be a good time to mention that
1- 5th edition 40K comes out this summer or fall. (its unclear at this point. And depending on who you listen to, 5th edition will be the worst thing to ever happen, and everything will be ruined forever. I withhold judgement. Apparently a pirate copy is making rounds.

and

2- it is followed shortly thereafter by another new version of the Space Marine codex.

Your plan isn't a bad one though. Large amounts of quality troops is good. If the metagame wanders through your area, prepare to be swamped by huge ork hordes.
the_taken
Knight-Baron

Post by the_taken »

5th edition? Already? Double-ya tea fvcking eff? My 4th edition rules book is still near mint and they're coming out with 5th?
I had a signature here once but I've since lost it.

My current project: http://tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=56456
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

When did 4th come out? Wikipedia says 2004. That is a short life for an edition. Of course, 4th itself was not actually an edition change, so much as an extensive errata to 3rd that they insisted you pay for.
Desdan_Mervolam
Knight-Baron

Post by Desdan_Mervolam »

I've known enough WH gamers to tell you for absolute certain that WH is NOT a cheap hobby. A halfass decent army will cost you a couple hundred alone, and they re-release the game every 2-3 years and make you buy all the books all over again.

-Desdan
Don't bother trying to impress gamers. They're too busy trying to impress you to care.