Fallacy, Conundrum, Option; things remembered

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

JonSetanta
King

Re: Fallacy, Conundrum, Option; things remembered

Post by JonSetanta »

Well, I also believe WOTC has a Christian majority, and I do agree with Prak that it should be expressed freely. To judge by creed like that is wrong no matter which way. Not like Prak was baiting the google-eyed frothmouthing Evangelical biblethumpers into spamming and otherwise harassing; no, he was advertising his faith and beliefs, and Wizards didn't like that.
There's a few Christian or semi-Christian signatures I've seen, maybe they have been wiped too but I doubt it.
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

I'm really on the fence on this one as I am going from memory on the question of Prak's sig. WotC may have a right to define the rules in their forum and they don't always have to be "fair," but it doesn't mean that I have to agree with them.

I've always thought that the first person (my faith) is always less provocative than the second person (your faith) or the third person (their faith). Then again, I'm just not going to mention that I am a Roman Catholic Secular Franciscan or a Knight of Columbus in my WotC sig. I mean even the ASCII fish in my sig has no religious connotation ... it just looked like a cool one line ASCII art thing that can be mirror imaged and gives the ASCII bunny company.

My Sig on WotC wrote:<°)))>< (\/)
><(((°> (. .)
<°)))>< C(")(")

WotC are eceptionaly parionoid of sigs, more so than posts. That's why images aren't allowed in them, for example. Your sig shows up everywhere.
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

Knight of Columbus ... ?
Hans Freyer, s.b.u.h. wrote:A manly, a bold tone prevails in history. He who has the grip has the booty.
Huston Smith wrote:Life gives us no view of the whole. We see only snatches here and there, (...)
brotherfrancis75 wrote:Perhaps you imagine that Ayn Rand is our friend? And the Mont Pelerin Society? No, those are but the more subtle versions of the Bolshevik Communist Revolution you imagine you reject. (...) FOX NEWS IS ALSO COMMUNIST!
LDSChristian wrote:True. I do wonder which is worse: killing so many people like Hitler did or denying Christ 3 times like Peter did.
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

The Knights of Columbus a Catholic Fraternal Men's Organization founded in 1882 by Father Michael J. McGivney.

The Knights of Columbus has grown from several members in one council to more than 13,000 councils and 1.7 million members throughout the United States, Canada, the Philippines, Mexico, Poland, the Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, Panama, the Bahamas, the Virgin Islands, Guatemala, Guam and Saipan.

Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

Thanks a bunch - though I probably should have figured out by myself ...
Hans Freyer, s.b.u.h. wrote:A manly, a bold tone prevails in history. He who has the grip has the booty.
Huston Smith wrote:Life gives us no view of the whole. We see only snatches here and there, (...)
brotherfrancis75 wrote:Perhaps you imagine that Ayn Rand is our friend? And the Mont Pelerin Society? No, those are but the more subtle versions of the Bolshevik Communist Revolution you imagine you reject. (...) FOX NEWS IS ALSO COMMUNIST!
LDSChristian wrote:True. I do wonder which is worse: killing so many people like Hitler did or denying Christ 3 times like Peter did.
bitnine
Journeyman

Post by bitnine »

sigma999 at [unixtime wrote:1186556714[/unixtime]]Well, I also believe WOTC has a Christian majority, and I do agree with Prak that it should be expressed freely. To judge by creed like that is wrong no matter which way.
Actually, for serious, Prak's sig included a list of members of his particular religious affiliation (and their credentials, if any) on the WotC boards as well as a call for solidarity and others to contact him to add themselves to that list. I think that that was wholly inappropriate for those boards, regardless of the particular affiliation itself.
CalibronXXX
Knight-Baron

Post by CalibronXXX »

bitnine at [unixtime wrote:1186668158[/unixtime]]Actually, for serious, Prak's sig included a list of members of his particular religious affiliation (and their credentials, if any) on the WotC boards as well as a call for solidarity and others to contact him to add themselves to that list. I think that that was wholly inappropriate for those boards, regardless of the particular affiliation itself.

Oh yeah, I remember it now. It wouldn't bother me personally, but I can see why such a thing would be frowned upon.

And I know none of you care, but it bothers me a bit when people bandy about the term Christian when they are actually referring to Deists; I seriously doubt any significant fraction of the WotC staff are actually Christians, thought it's not impossible.
Catharz
Knight-Baron

Post by Catharz »

Please don't be too offended, but when I saw the Knights of Columbus seal I had a momentary mental failure and saw this instead:
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Catharz at [unixtime wrote:1186679279[/unixtime]]Please don't be too offended, but when I saw the Knights of Columbus seal I had a momentary mental failure and saw this instead:

Oh! It's the emblem of my home city Baltimore. There is another fried chicken joint every block, and with the people walking (waddling) around here.. it shows.

Bitnine: I did not know that one... wow. OK I suppose that would be a breach of privacy, BUT only as long as those in the list did not know they had been "advertised".
WOTC might also reserve the right to edit or remove any solicitations not relating to RPGs or WOTC games, as it is a game site.
I have put many notices and advertisements out recently, the most prominent being a call for "Fey material writers to come join us in the Feybook project", multiple threads and frequent bumping.... it worked well, and I have no warnings or deletions to this date. Hmm. :sad:
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

I'm reminded of one evening at the council' BINGO game telling a lady how to make out a check. "That's 'K of C,' and don't forget the 'o' because otherwise the only thing you will be able to get with it is chicken."

What's interesting is that in Spanish and French it is "C de C" (Caballeros de Colon/Chevaliers de Colomb)
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Speaking of noteworthy fallacies, Oberoni or someone passing as Oberoni has posted in these forums :thumb:
CalibronXXX
Knight-Baron

Post by CalibronXXX »

Catharz at [unixtime wrote:1186679279[/unixtime]]Please don't be too offended, but when I saw the Knights of Columbus seal I had a momentary mental failure and saw this instead:

Well that was hilarious, got a belly laugh out of me.