Pimp my cleric!!!

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

ckafrica
Duke

Pimp my cleric!!!

Post by ckafrica »

Hey y'all. My laptop with all my d&d books and characters is fried and I got to throw together a cleric for an FR game to replace my beguiler that I lost on the machine (and we need a cleric so I'm stepping up). I've been talking to my DM about the kind of stomp scale discussed here and he said he wants to see it in action as none of us have refined our play to your level.

So I was wondering if any one was willing to give suggestions for a good aligned FR cleric 12th level, not an elf or a gnome (we have a hate on for them). What feats?, 32pt attribute buy, x1.5 regular equipment for the level (we have gotten way too much treasure for our level) We got access to most of the wizard's library but doesn't really need to be anything fancy. A preferred spell list and mini strategy guide would be great too.

Thanks for any help guys

The internet gave a voice to the world thus gave definitive proof that the world is mostly full of idiots.
CalibronXXX
Knight-Baron

Re: Pimp my cleric!!!

Post by CalibronXXX »

Generally when you go Cleric you pick one specialty to out-do everyone else at and just the fact that you're a cleric, and not retarded, makes you somewhere between competent and face-rockingly awesome at everything else.

So knowing your party layout and what you would personally like to specialize in would help us help you.
Neeek
Knight-Baron

Post by Neeek »

How broken are you looking to be, exactly? At 12th level, you can seriously head straight into crazytown and win the election for Mayor with little to no trouble.
Iaimeki
Journeyman

Post by Iaimeki »

You're a cleric? In FR? At 12th level? You can seriously make the game cry if you want to.

In particular, you want to look at the initiate of Mystra feat (PGtF), which allows you to cast in an AMF, and the Magic domain, which lets you you cast an AMF as a 6th level spell; standard Divine Metamagic Cheese can make this last all day. If you feel like you aren't winning hard enough, add the Spell domain and go for Magical Training (PGtF), take dweomerkeeper (CD web enhancement), and start tossing XP-free limited wishes, which should be enough to solve all your problems for you.
ckafrica
Duke

Post by ckafrica »

Well I'm trying to avoid the who wish economy nonsense because I think that is too much BS for me to handle and I will just get bitchslapped by the DM for trying it. I'd like to make all the other players wish they were clerics in combat (which considering most are playing their first game shouldn't be too hard) but mostly its to show the DM, who is doubtful of the rediculousness that 3rd ed can be, that it can be that dumb. We're definitely up against a necromancer for the time being if that helps
The internet gave a voice to the world thus gave definitive proof that the world is mostly full of idiots.
shirak
Knight

Post by shirak »

ckafrica at [unixtime wrote:1183087329[/unixtime]]Well I'm trying to avoid the who wish economy nonsense because I think that is too much BS for me to handle and I will just get bitchslapped by the DM for trying it. I'd like to make all the other players wish they were clerics in combat (which considering most are playing their first game shouldn't be too hard) but mostly its to show the DM, who is doubtful of the rediculousness that 3rd ed can be, that it can be that dumb. We're definitely up against a necromancer for the time being if that helps

You want Frank's patented Clericarcher. Basically, get Divine Persistant and abuse all those 1 round/level spells that have awesome effects. I like Spell Storing Arrows of Shivering Touch and I recommend them to you.

EDIT: Take a look at Mr. Icy Hot. Fun and pretty effective.
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

The Cleric Archer build is available on Nifty, but the 3.5 updates are as follows:

Frank wrote:
3.5 is supposedly "back compatible" with 3rd edition rules. That is to say, anything that you can find in a 3rd edition rulebook you can still use - unless it has itself been updated into 3.5 rules in which case the newer version takes precedence.

So Spell Focus only provides a measily +1 to Save DCs, but Spellcasting Prodigy still gives you a whole +2 to your spellcasting stat (which, among other things, adds +1 to the save DC of every spell you ever cast from any school). Which means, oddly enough, that everything which didn't make it into 3.5 because it was overpowered is still exactly the same (and often slightly better -relatively speaking - as the overall power level except for abusive tricks took a nose dive in 3.5).

Be that as it may, here are the big rules things to keep track of for the Archer Cleric:

* The Archer Cleric now benefits from carrying a sling as a back-up weapon, as ranged sunders with adamantine sling bullets practically always work against everything (except Adamantine Swords).

* Arrows no longer have their enhancement bonus stack with bow enhancement bonuses for damage or to-hit bonuses. Therefore all Archer Clerics should invest in Arrows of Defending - as this allows the Cleric to utilize the enhancement bonus from one greater magic weapon for the to-hit and damage bonus, and the other to armor class. In fact, since it stacks with all other bonuses (including that of other defending arrows fired that round), and the bonus lasts until next turn, this is a handy way to get +30 AC in unnamed, stackable bonuses (assuming, of course, that you are using Haste Armor backed up by Magic Vestment, which you are because you are not stupid).

* Cleric Archers can now benefit from having a higher strength from Polymorph any Object - as bows are no longer capped at any strength modifier, and Divine Power no longer caps your strength at 18. The obvious choice, of course, is to become a Solar or an Elemental Weird as their "spells" ability is of course a "special attack" which is neither Supernatural nor Spell-like (and the Weird's elemental pool restriction is a special quality that you don't even get).

* Barkskin now cumulates with the natural armor bonus granted by Poly Any Object.

* You can jack up your caster level to levels which are... very high. Since the only real use a spellcaster level over 20 has is to kill things with Holy Word - you are now free to squander up to 3 caster levels on classes that give you other abilities and still achieve maximum whupass at 20th level. Of course, the Hospitaler and such are still official, so it probably doesn't matter much.

* Tower Shields no longer give a +10 AC bonus, but instead give only a +4 AC bonus. They also no longer stack with other animated shields (total AC loss of -13).

* Haste no longer gives a +4 AC bonus, but instead gives only +1. However it also gives to-hit and save bonuses now.

* If you are willing to be evil, you can be a cleric archer without ever being a "Cleric" at all. A Wizard 5/ Mindbender 1/ Ur-Priest 1/ MyTh 10/ Hospitaler 1/ Contemplative 1/ Master of Shrouds 1, for example, has a Wizard caster level of 16, and an Ur-Priest caster level of 22. In addition, she has no less than 5 domains (of which 3, are, unfortunately, Death, Evil, and Protection), and a Prestige Domain. She has proficiency in every martial weapon, so the War Domain is not strictly speaking a necessity.

Other than that - it's pretty much the same. The weapon sizes are much more open to abuse and of course GMW grows much slower (unless you use Karma Beads, in which case it grows as fast as you want it to).

In total, the Cleric Archer is about 2 or 3 points of attack bonus behind, but has gained 22 points of armor class and does 5.5 more points of damage per hit. And that's before we get into Ur-Priest crazy-land.

Game On,
fbmf