Sanctum Mage Champions: Session summary (2nd sess. now)

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Judging__Eagle
Prince

Sanctum Mage Champions: Session summary (2nd sess. now)

Post by Judging__Eagle »

The chars are in an other hread, but I got to see the Frank Bard and the Dungeonomicaon Jester in action for the first time.

The Jester and the Bard (re-write) classes we got to test for the first time last weekend.

They're pretty decent and quite a bit of fun.

The Bard pickd up the "daze audience", "inspire courage" and "destructive cacophony" performace tricks.

His inspire courage lasts a pile of rounds (1/level) and his Destructive Cacophony deals interesting damage.

The jester used acid cream pies (aka, acid vials) and a rapier to attack her opponents. The Demoralize opponent was great to help the wizard make a greased and webbed bullette helpless while the mok used his fighting style to deal Con damage.

A round later when the wiz cast Deep Slumber on a flying Wyvern and sent it crashing she climbed on top of the sleeping Wyvern and CdG'd it while the party was dealing with a pair of bullettes and an other wyvern.

In any case, among 6 level 6 PCs, they easily killed 4 wyverns and 3 bullettes.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
Brobdingnagian
Knight

Re: Planar Raiders:1st session & summary

Post by Brobdingnagian »

Dude, I so murdered those things... playing Batman is fun.
Arturian
NPC

Post by Arturian »

I would also like to point out that my Gargoyle did some interesting damage as well...I mean...come on...DBZ crater anyone?
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Well, not quite.

If you're dealing about 80-ish damage to the ground, that's about a 5-inch deep hole that your lance made in stone ground.

Since a stone surface has about 15 HP per inch of thickness.

If you wanted to do something like break a mountain you'd have to be dealing literally hundreds of thousands of damage per hit to make any difference. Since a 10-foot cube of unworked stone has 900 hp.

Even the 16th lvl fighter with dual adamantine weapons, blitz, combat school, two-weapon fighting and fully power attacking has a "burrow speed" of about 10 feet every 3 rounds in solid stone.

Stone is really, really hard to bust apart. Mostly b/c it has more HP than CR 22 Dragons.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
Brobdingnagian
Knight

Post by Brobdingnagian »

Disintegrate.
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

We had our 2nd session last night and boy, was it a doozy. Sort of.

The players had just finished the fight and some of the PCs went off to be shown their quarters, when a raccon wearing armour and riding a leopard showed up beside them, with a glowing orb of light above it.

Apparenlty, Bobbert the Raccoon, was a capable Druid and with that, Krim (monk), Goliath (Gargoyle), Miranda (rogue) and Bobbert were told to face a squad of Barbazeu (bearded devils for you layfolk).

After a few tense seconds of hacking at these green skinned fiends, the group realized that using silver weapons was a good idea and Goliath pulled out a silver spiked chain and started to combine his mobility from flying and whirlwind to strike all of the Barbazeu once per round, racking up a pile of damage per round that was not negated by the Barbezeu's damage reduction.

Up until that point, Krimm had be bashing a Barbezau with his fists of flaming ice, Goliath's 'partner' Bronx had been slowly ripping into one of the Barbezau's; while Miranda kept missing with her single attack with her mental weaponry dagger for a couple of rounds. Bobbert had buffed himself and his leapoard pet, but both weren't able to deal a lot of damage. That is, until Bobbert cast Call Lighitning and then it was all on.

After just over a half minute of fighting, two Bearded devils had been knocked out and the rest had been badly injured. As the devils didn't excpet there to be weapons that could really hurt them or magic, they thought that they would be fine. When weapons and magic that could hurt them showed up they asked for terms of surrender.

The PCs let them go, since they really couldn't get anything useful out of a Barbezau anyway.

A this point we had changed playing venues and I was DMing for Goliath and Bobbert, so I had them go do a bit of a side-mission.

Now, here is where things got interesting.

i knew that I had to send them to either kill a bunch of outsiders or magical beasts to get 'body parts' to make magic items or have the PCs approach some other powerful entitiy and have them perform a task for this creature to gain either a favour or an item from said powerful creature.

So I rolled up a plane that they could go to (rolled up Gehenna; top layer) and asked if they wanted to hunt lesser fiends or perform a task for a powerful fiend. Up until this point I had literally no idea as to what would happen. All I knew was that they'd be going to a plane and either go hunting or tasking.

They decided that they would rather convince some powerful creature of something than go hunting lesser fiends.

I then started flipping through my MM and found a suitable Fiendish creauture that they could contact; a Nalfeshnee mayor of a demonic outpost in Gehenna.

The PCs patron handed them a scroll outlining the requested item that he had of the Nalfshnee mayor and what he would to pay in exchange for said item (the PC's 'services' for one suitably challenging task).

So, they go to the town, meet a pair of fiendish yuan-ti abomination town gaurds that read their paperwork and point them to the 'mayors' fortress, and who then start a betting pool to see if the paladin PC will have any chance of performing his possibly given task.

Now, I wanted them to meet some of the local residents, so I rolled up a 6th lvl encoutner.... 1-4 CR 3 monsters... hmm, I looked at some of my CR 3 'outsider' options and picked a Quasit, a Hellhound.... and to mix shit up a bit, a unicorn (I mean, I've never actually seen a unicorn in game before, so what the hey).

So, the quasit accosts the two PCs and asks if they're willing to buy a brand-spanking new unicorn slave, guaranteed to have a powerful magical weapon as a horn (a unicorn horn is a +3 weapon in the MM, so the PCs know it's very valuable in the Wish economy); plus all sorts of body parts to be used to be sold as delicacies or components for magical items. At the low, low price of 3,000 gp.

The hell hound is his business partner, and the unicorn is hobbled, gagged and wrapped around with spiked steel chains that are tearing into it's skin.

The paladin hums and haws with the quasit (he also figures out that the Unicorn is more powerful than it's letting on) and ends up paying a little over 3,500 gp in various gems. They also find out that Quasits love emeralds for some reason. Either b/c they're green, or they eat them; the gibbering and drooling quasit wasn't too clear on why he was so sad that the Paladin didn't have any emeralds with his gems or why he was acting so oddly when he said that he'd trade the gems it just got for emeralds.

In any case, once ungagged, the unicorn was very greatful and asked if it can help the PCs in any way. They explain what they're here for, and the unicorn agrees that it's probably for the best that the PCs get what they need (apparently it's a Soul-Bound person) and will help them with their task.

When told that they still have to go to the Nalfeshnee and find out what 'task' he'll give them; he sort of sheepishly tells them that it's probably for the best that he doesn't go to the 'mayors' fortress with them.

So, after going around and figuring out that no inn will stable "the unicorn" (even at vastly inflated prices), the players decide to split up the party; the raccoon will go with the paladin's mount and his animal companion to speak to the Nalfeshnee mayor and see if he needs and adventuring done for him.

It turns out that the raccoon finds out that the Nalfeshnee lives up to his patron's assesment as a debauched demon lord that bothers more with preparing all sorts of crazy dishes.

The awakened raccoon druid and the nalfeshnee sit down to snack on a plate of delightfully seasoned and aged fish heads and half-eaten t-bone steaks (just scrumptious don't you think?) before getting down to the task at hand; deciding what the 'mayor' wants in echange for the troublesome soul of a paladin that his troops captured recently.

Since the Druid isn't willing to let the Nalfeshnee partake of "leopard liver with baby bulette tripe" (the Druid's animal companion and the Paladin's medium-sized 'mount'); the demon gets pouty and asks if their patron has anything other to offer him. Mostly b/c the Nalfeshnee knows that any task that he sends the PCs that is worth the value of the trapped soul will get them killed, and he wants to see what the PC's patron will pay.

So, the raccoon asks for a private room and contacts his patron via a small device of abitrary value and his 'boss' 'ports in a large mound of rubies and onyx.

The Nalfeshnee is impressed and asks if for a cut of this massive pile of gems (literally, the 10' by 10' room had so many gems that the raccoon was carried out the door by a wave of gems when the door was opened from the outside), would the Raccoon and his other companions perform a small task for him?

Of course they agree and find out that they have to chase down a Retrevier that has gone haywire so that it can be repaired and given new orders.

So, off the PCs go, to track down a monsterous demonic construct which their new Unicorn ally will help them accomplish.

They track it down and find out that it has been collecting piles of rocks and making two piles that it keeps sorting through.

Now, they know that Retreivers have all sorts of wierd eye-rays, but they aren't sure which ones they need to defend against, so the druid prepares a few protections from energy and the paladin can cast up to 3 resistances from energy, so they should be fine.

To 'test' out which ray the retriever has, the Druid summons a monkey (SNA 1) that goes and hits the retriever.

One pile of monkey ash and a gibbed monkey later (30+ damage to a 4 HP creature...) later, the PCs resort to firing arrows and calling lightning on the Retriever to put it down (the unicorn helps as well, by dropping an obsuring mist that keeps the Retriever from seeing what's going on 'below' it, while the PCs keep firing attacks on it until it goes down (the Gaygoyle Paladin decided to be 'brave' part way through and use his Whirlwind and Smite Evil ability; 40 damage later from a single AoO that critted, he thought that shooting arrows was a better idea.

So, they disable the retreiver, then they have to figure out a way to drag it back; fortuantely the druid can turn into a brown bear which can carry just over half of the retriever's wieght and the 'baby' bulette can do the same (two str 19 creatures with 4 legs = 3,500 max drag each, 7,000 between the two of them, plus the unicorn and the Gargoyle helping out made dragging the retriever's 6,500 lbs of wieght easy enough.

So, they bring the construct back, the unicorn waits outside of town to reduce attention and the PCs get enough gems to buy their way into the Wish economy.

At this point, the wizard player had shown up and was around to give the paladin some finer points on how to best access the wish economy (Noble Djinni's really).

Of course, xp is a moot point, since they are definately gaining in power.

It also means that killing PCs doesn't matter any more since they can true-res people if they need to.

The only real restriction was that they have to write down what items they are carrying and of course the 15,000 gp limit.

I'm not sure if they'll tell the rest of the group what happened. One of the players will ask them where they got the 20-ish Ioun stones from though, if I hear "from a genie's pocket" that will be hilarious.

Brobdingnagian
Knight

Post by Brobdingnagian »

100d6 fire damage... heh. This is gonna be fun...
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Where will this 100d6 of Fire Damage come from?

Brobdingnagian
Knight

Post by Brobdingnagian »

A Necklace of Fireballs that with ten beads that each deal 10d6 damage; 15000 gp. Normally, you can only throw one bead at a time. I've found a way around that.
the_taken
Knight-Baron

Post by the_taken »

I know. Mage Hand? Telekinesis? Benign Transposition? Floating Disk? Throw? Duct tape + (X)Bow/Arrow? Ex-girlfriend = zombie? Charm person (monster)?

Whatever. You get it where you want it then hit it with fire damage. As an unwielded item, it automatically fails it's saving throw to avoid detonating.
I had a signature here once but I've since lost it.

My current project: http://tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=56456
Brobdingnagian
Knight

Post by Brobdingnagian »

Shh! You're not supposed to tell him!
the_taken
Knight-Baron

Post by the_taken »

I had this feat on a this certain character. Not like those clumsy character options you pick once and suffer with, but an awesome super move I did. I called it "Detonating TWF". I had two Necklace of Fireballs, one in each hand. After setting the priority target on fire, back when Burning Hands set people on fire, I'd start slapping with the necklaces.

Detonating Two-weapon Fighting.
I had a signature here once but I've since lost it.

My current project: http://tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=56456
Brobdingnagian
Knight

Post by Brobdingnagian »

Nice.
Brobdingnagian
Knight

Planar Raiders: 3rd Session Possible Balance Issue

Post by Brobdingnagian »

We might have a problem with that Hydra, JE.

[counturl=64]Cryo/Pyrohydras and breath weapons[/counturl]

Err... I'll let you explain how it factors in.