Worstest Module EVAR

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Tae_Kwon_Dan
Journeyman

Re: Worstest Module EVAR

Post by Tae_Kwon_Dan »

Nevermind, I was thinking of the wrong module.

Was Vecna Lives! the one that ended 2ed or was that Die Vecna Die?
Desdan_Mervolam
Knight-Baron

Post by Desdan_Mervolam »

That was Die Vecna, Die.

I'm not surprised, as that one was billed as a PC killer designed to clear out your standing stable of 2e characters so you can start fresh with 3e.

-Desdan
Don't bother trying to impress gamers. They're too busy trying to impress you to care.
power_word_wedgie
Master

Post by power_word_wedgie »

Oh, something like "Tomb of Horrors", huh?
Neeek
Knight-Baron

Post by Neeek »

Nah. Tomb of Horrors was a cakewalk. We did it with first level characters. Just don't open any doors or anything and you are fine.

Or maybe I'm getting the modules confused. That happens.
Tae_Kwon_Dan
Journeyman

Post by Tae_Kwon_Dan »

power_word_wedgie at [unixtime wrote:1125548516[/unixtime]]Oh, something like "Tomb of Horrors", huh?

Tomb of Horrors was mostly about how smart your players were since a lot of the module is traps and puzzles. Die, Vecna, Die! was a total character grinder that dealt with a whole lot of unavoidable encounters with high level monsters and then Vecna himself.
Basorexic
NPC

Post by Basorexic »

FrankTrollman at [unixtime wrote:1105058655[/unixtime]]Oh heck yes. The Forge of fury less so, but the Sunless Citadel is a good introductory adventure that can be cobbled onto the beginning of virtually any campaign. I thik that everyone should end up playing through it at least once.

-Username17

I agree- I quite enjoyed it. I used it as an introduction to some friends who had never gamed before.

I find the best adventures are those which proclaim their excellence on the cover or in the title-- "The Incredible Adventure" for example.

And by "best", I of course mean the best to laugh at all the way to the garbage can.
josephbt
Knight

Post by josephbt »

Yup, The Sunless Citadel was really neat. No player deaths but tons of laughs, especially with Meepo The Keeper.
On the other hand, Forge of Fury ended with a weird TPK. The rogue saw the roper and reported a weird stony thing fishing and looking kinda dangerous. Nobody in the party had ever seen a roper, so they figured it's a monster, they'll rush it and kill it pronto with their ranged leetness.
So they buff, move in and all win initiative. The dwarf fighter throws his ax and rolls a 20. He hits the roper ONLY on a 20. Everybody cheers and are happy because it seems like a pushover. He doesnt confirm because of a roll of 3 so nobody figures out 30 AC that roper has. The sorc cast Lesser orb of fire , hits with a crit also and confirmes, so nobody gets that it has a massive SR and because of it's fire vulnerability they think it's really a weak crapy encounter. The druid summons, the rogue misses.
The Roper. It is pissed off, it is mean and it is CR 10 vs party level 3 point crap. It spreads it's attacks so the fighter, the sorc and the druid go down to 0 STR. The rogue makes one more stand and hits jackshit with a 17 or 18 roll. The sorc gets crited with roper bite and goes to happy huting grounds. Two strands are free so the rogue bites the dust also.
Scratch one party because of decent rolls that gave confidance. That taught a few lessons and made ropers anywhere universally despised.
engi

Blood for the Blood God!
Nidhogg
1st Level

Post by Nidhogg »

Heh, displacer beasts.

A player in my group had his first three or four characters killed by displacer beasts. It started a rather amusing running gag that has continued to this day (even after the player in question left the group) where every new campaign would at some point involve an encounter in which an NPC with the same name as the player gets mauled by a displacer beast. The point is to try to make the encounter (and the mauling) more humorous than the previous DM's.
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

Nidhogg at [unixtime wrote:1153733031[/unixtime]]Heh, displacer beasts.

A player in my group had his first three or four characters killed by displacer beasts. It started a rather amusing running gag that has continued to this day (even after the player in question left the group) where every new campaign would at some point involve an encounter in which an NPC with the same name as the player gets mauled by a displacer beast. The point is to try to make the encounter (and the mauling) more humorous than the previous DM's.

Hehe, I should try someting like that once in a while.... :3
Nytmare
NPC

Post by Nytmare »

We got all worked up over playing in an 'old school' dungeon delve as a filler game, and the guy showed up with a piece of crap called "Deathtrap Dungeon." It's based off an old solo D&D-esque Choose Your Own Adventure book, and is a two part adventure.

They warn people not to play the first half of the game if there is any real attachment to the characters, we discovered after skipping over it that it's basically an arena match, where the characters fight each other and the survivor wins the prize of moving on to the second half of the adventure.

The second half of the game is the *drumroll* Deathtrap Dungeon. The long and the short of it is that a retired adventurer has nothing better to do with his time than build deadly dungeons filled with traps and monsters so that once every year people can shovel themselves into it for the Trial of Champions in a chance to either win the 25K prize, or die horribly. So far everyone has died horribly.

As best as we can surmise, the adventure boils down to wandering around inside the dungeon making saves till you die. After you die, which you do frequently, our guess is that you're just supposed to pretend like you have the saved game cheat codes and just erase all the damage off your character sheet and jump right back into the thick of things.

There was some kind of rule about what magic items you were allowed to bring in, and a limit of like 2 potions. This might just be my imagination, but I'm thinking there was also some kind of rule about not resting and preparing spells while you were in the dungeon.

What really ruined it for us was when our 3 member party of level 6 characters happened upon the Wall of Force casting Lich Queen. She put a damper on the evening.

We never played again after the first night, but our guess is that the person who dies the least times wins.
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

The Eberron adventures....

Talk about railroading.

The DM doesn't even have options as to what to do if the PCs can kill the emerald claw cleric Garrow the first time they see him (we met him while we were hunkered down in a hole and fired crossbow bolt after crossbow bolt and arrow after arrow and direct damage spell after direct damage spell into his sorry hide), nor are they ... allowed to kill him later on until the plot arc finishes two adventures later.

Even then, we didn't kill him. We finally got so pissed that we beat him to a blody pulp and then took him back across the ocean to our home city and handed his ass to the authorities. Really, we handed him to the local spy agency, so he's as good as fvcked.

As for 'beating him'; actually, my Archivist solo'ed his ass in... two rounds while the rest of the party was beating the hell out of the schema that we found. I think was roughly a level above me and he seriously was very weak for a cleric.

The party instead beat up Xulo's flying metal disk form with their weapons and keeping him from combining and controlling the Huge warfored titan in the massive, massive room we were in (it was, I dunno, but it used up all of the space on chessex battlemat).

Before we start that campaign again, I want the DM to realize that if the PCs fuck up the adventure by killing or beating up and capturing someone; that's ok. Some one else could take over and continue the adventure instead.

They could possibly be weaker or more inept than their former boss; or someone else higher up may have been sent in to troubleshoot the problem).
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.