4e Verisimilitude

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

RandomCasualty
Prince

Re: 4e Verisimilitude

Post by RandomCasualty »

Harlune at [unixtime wrote:1204767948[/unixtime]]
And this 'We need to rebalance everything so that this one type of guy can excel' stuff doesn't seem to exist for any class but Fighters. No one says 'oh we shouldn't have magic immune creatures, that would be unfair to the wizard', 'Having undead that can't be turned makes the cleric completly useless', or 'Rogues suck because they can't sneak attack everything in the game'

Actually we would be saying that if there were creatures that were truly magic immune. The curren magic immune creatures are "immune to some spells". I'm talking about something that was basically a walking antimagic field that totally nullified any magic you used. Buffs, summons, anything. Then we would be saying "that would be unfair to the wizard."

angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

RandomCasualty wrote:I'm going to call bullshiot on this one. Dropping stuff shouldn't constitute a credible threat against a hero. Sure it can bust up civilians and put holes in keeps and stuff, but the hero just steps the hell out of the way. If you see what they're dropping it's pretty easy to get out of the way and your accuracy at dropping stuff pretty much sucks.

It's easy to nerf dropping objects, just say that they can't hit a target unless it's stationary or taken by surprise. Period. Problem solved.

What's the meaningful difference between a deliberately dropped object and a thrown one?

Maybe because the statement you just made isn't particularly logical. The heroes are going to win and the heroes in question carry only swords, therefore any problem they happen to run into is one that can be solved with a sword. By definition I can't give you a counterexample. What kind of counter example do you even want there?

It's mighty convenient how Brak the Barbarian never has to kill a Manticore is all I'm saying.

But seriously I can point at times when dragons get killed by swords. Lodoss War for instance involves dragons being slain by weapons.

I recall Shooting Star being killed in a cave while not flying, but it's been a while and I could be wrong.

It's a difficult problem, but I think the swordsman is a staple of fantasy and needs to be a viable archetype in one form or another.

It's not that difficult. If it by definition has limited circumstances of use, it must be more effective than other options when it can be used. So people in melee should be wetting themselves over the amount of hurt they're about to soak up... once they get there.
SunTzuWarmaster
Knight-Baron

Post by SunTzuWarmaster »

Yea, I was going to mention that bows got teh maga-nerf. However, mounted archery still works fine.

The horse takes a run action, you take a readied action. Now the melee guy has to run to catch the horse (and doesn't get his attack) You fire, horse runs away. Melee guy dies.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Yeah, for those creatures the Wizard just has to rethink his tactics (apart from those who don't have to, because they already summon and polymorph their way to victory).

So why not just settle on "Occasionally you can't use your shtick, you have to settle for rethinking your tactics"?

Don't get me wrong, melee is awesome, and I want to see fighters leaping up, grabbing the dragon by the tail, then climbing up and running along the spine, all the way to the head before jamming his sword into the back of the head.

But sometimes they have to pepper it with arrows first, or rely on any one of many "Shadow of the Colossus" tricks to get the enemy within reach.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Harlune
Apprentice

Post by Harlune »

okay okay, this damned 'babies can't eat steak so no one else should ether' argument... or rather the melee fighter has trouble with flyers therefore no one should be able to fly (untill level 16 at which point the fighter instantly tranforms from being Conan to a Bleach character and can attack flyers or something I guess?) argument is just going on and on.

Why can't the melee fighter just become a bloody Bleach weaboo fightan magic guy at lv 5 instead and have some psychic warrior type feats that let him jump really freaking high or run up the side of a building and get in range of flyers that way?
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Harlune at [unixtime wrote:1204776866[/unixtime]]
Why can't the melee fighter just become a bloody Bleach weaboo fightan magic guy at lv 5 instead and have some psychic warrior type feats that let him jump really freaking high or run up the side of a building and get in range of flyers that way?

I'm working on it.
http://bb.bbboy.net/thegamingden-viewth ... ead=187[br]
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

But can it kill people with a hat?
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

I'm combining the "Power" and "Create Weapon" techniques into one that adds a splashy pseudo-elemental (it looks fancy) burst of energy to all weapon attacks, in simple terms just a typeless increase to weapon damage.
So, yes.
It would add to a hat strike as well.
A big, noisy, Capcom style exploding hat attack.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

How? unless your double move is greater than his run

Since when is the archer unable to run? If all he's doing in a round is moving, then he's running, like I said in the very quote you were responding to.

...it's pretty easy to find cover against horizontal attacks. Vertical cover is very rare, unless there happens to be a cave nearby...

So trees are rare now? Last I checked, they have branches and foliage, and even frequently are near other trees. This means you can simply move to a tree that's not directly below the archer, because there's this thing called geometry.

I'm not adverse to the melee guy requiring a bow sometimes.

I mean, you guys basically want to hose meleers. They have to carry bows...

I love your solid and clear opinion, because I would be sad if it was actually just a nit-picky and swiss cheese argument.

Angelfromanotherpin covered the response on dropping rocks.

But seriously I can point at times when dragons get killed by swords...I specifically mentioned that almost all heroes have some degree of stealth earlier.

So can I, and your point is? With stealth and/or cover (be it a rock, tree, confined space, tower shield, etc), we can force the ranged to come down to us and start stabbing it. But whenever we actually suggest such options to you, you bend over backwards to say that doesn't work against flying archers or that the melee moron shouldn't have to. Sounds like you want him to impatient & noisy to me...
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

I think it important to note that when Prince Phillip kills Maleficent in Dragon form with a sword, that she is attempting to directly stop him from getting through to the castle. If her goal had been merely to survive there is literally nothing whatever that Prince Phillip could have done about it. Indeed, if her goal had been to kill him outright she was physically capable of doing so - save for the fact that she wasn't "allowed" to actually kill the guy thanks to the prophecy.

-Username17
RandomCasualty
Prince

Post by RandomCasualty »

angelfromanotherpin at [unixtime wrote:1204771642[/unixtime]]

What's the meaningful difference between a deliberately dropped object and a thrown one?

Throw a baseball at someone.

Now try to drop a 50 lb rock on their head.

Tell me which one is harder to aim.

Dropping big stuff is going to be so inaccurate that all but mooks should be able to get out of the way. The main use of dropping shit should be smashing buildings and the like.

It's mighty convenient how Brak the Barbarian never has to kill a Manticore is all I'm saying.

Well honestly, aside from manticores and dragons, there isn't much in the way of ranged+flying creature.

I recall Shooting Star being killed in a cave while not flying, but it's been a while and I could be wrong.

Yeah, he was. But he *could* fly. That's the point. Also near the beginning they were attacked by flying gargoyle things that had to swoop down.

Since when is the archer unable to run? If all he's doing in a round is moving, then he's running, like I said in the very quote you were responding to.

Running draws an AoO. Draw an AoO, get your bow sundered. Yes, he can run, but after that it's not going to do him much good.

So trees are rare now? Last I checked, they have branches and foliage, and even frequently are near other trees. This means you can simply move to a tree that's not directly below the archer, because there's this thing called geometry.

The problem is taht the flying thing can fly below the treeline and just hit you like that. In D&D, there's not really any penalty for a flyer flying in relatively tight quarters. Unlike real life, you won't run smack into a tree.

The flier only needs be about 20 ft up to rain death and destruction from a point the melee guy can't reach him. That's well under the tree line.

So can I, and your point is? With stealth and/or cover (be it a rock, tree, confined space, tower shield, etc), we can force the ranged to come down to us and start stabbing it. But whenever we actually suggest such options to you, you bend over backwards to say that doesn't work against flying archers or that the melee moron shouldn't have to. Sounds like you want him to impatient & noisy to me...

How the fuck is hiding behind a rock going to help you against something that flies? It just gets above you and fires. Even a true won't do you much good really after a few rounds. Your only real chance to stop a flier is a ceiling, and a low ceiling at that. If the ceiling is higher than 20 ft, then you're still screwed. So yeah, tower shield helps you, but not all characters carry one of those around.

To make matters worse, fliers are faster than ground creatures too, so outrunning it isn't even an option.

Well honestly I think level 5 is way too early. I mean that doesn't even give you any levels to be "a really good swordsman" without being completely superhuman. Level 5 should be like Aragorn or Legolas. The anime guys are like Level 11+ at least.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

RandomCasualty at [unixtime wrote:1204829885[/unixtime]]
Well honestly I think level 5 is way too early. I mean that doesn't even give you any levels to be "a really good swordsman" without being completely superhuman. Level 5 should be like Aragorn or Legolas. The anime guys are like Level 11+ at least.

Never!!!
:razz:
Superjumps for everyone!
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

Now try to drop a 50lb rock on their head.

Except for the fact not even on the ground do normal people hurl 50lb stones about the battlefield. You can dive and throw a stone with the upswing. Even then, 3.X allows one to just plain drop them and let the 'falling objects' rules take place.

Well honestly, aside from manticores and dragons, there isn't much in the way of ranged+flying creature.

Need some ginko biloba? Frank mentions imps, mephits, sprites (they can be unseelie), will-o-wisps, chimera, manticores, & harpies. Don't forget the pegasus/wyvern with an archer on its back. I could go on, but this is only a sample.

Running draws an AoO.

If you're going to try to argue 3.X rules at me, at least understand the material, and that our archer isn't an idiot. The archer isn't provoking from running if he's not adjacent to the swordsman. If you're starting these hypothetical people adjacent to each other, which is an awfully big assumption, then he can withdraw with a double move; and thus the swordsman has to run in order to actually get adjacent. Guess what? You're flat-footed while running too, which means he can't take an AoO when the archer starts running himself.

By the way, you still have yet to actually respond to the while mounted archer archetype, because this one kills the swordsman too.

The flier only needs to be 20 ft up to rain death and destruction from a point the melee guy can't reach him.

Then the flier can't be directly over the tree to shoot, which means he's going to be on one side or another, and your little swordsman can do that readied action to move behind the tree like before.

Your only real chance to stop a flier is a ceiling, and a low ceiling at that.

What kind of caves and buildings are you running around in? The standard is 10', unless it's one of those special ampitheater rooms, which tend to have lots of stuff scattered about, and certainly have adjoining rooms; and I've never seen a door larger than 15' in height in games (barring very special cases). And in those cases, climbers with ranged attacks do the same damn thing as fliers.

So yeah, tower shield helps you, but not all characters carry one of those around.

You want an over-specialized swordsman who refuses to learn how to climb, apparently can't hide or only tries to hide in an open tundra, never carries a bow or a sling, won't hide behind a tree, won't 'resort' to super jumping, never goes inside, and now he's not going to at least carry a damn tower shield?!

Obviously you are willing to admit that this 'archetype' will go away at some point, since you've been arguing for high levels for this to happen. If I'm going to play an archetype, why would I want to play a game where the archetype has an expiration date noticeably before everyone else? This part of the argument is made from the PoV that your archetype is actually worth a damn.
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
RandomCasualty
Prince

Post by RandomCasualty »

virgileso at [unixtime wrote:1204835533[/unixtime]]
Except for the fact not even on the ground do normal people hurl 50lb stones about the battlefield. You can dive and throw a stone with the upswing. Even then, 3.X allows one to just plain drop them and let the 'falling objects' rules take place.

Yeah, the falling object rules are complete ass. It basically means you're more accurate dropping rocks than you are shooting arrows. Totally stupid and I have yet to meet a DM who plays those by the book.

Plus I'm talking about how you could modify rules to prevent it. So quite simply, falling objects don't hit adventurers as a rule. Period.

Need some ginko biloba? Frank mentions imps, mephits, sprites (they can be unseelie), will-o-wisps, chimera, manticores, & harpies. Don't forget the pegasus/wyvern with an archer on its back. I could go on, but this is only a sample.

Will'o'wisps? You mean the kind that have a melee touch attack and that's it?

Imps? 1/day they can cast suggestion as a SLA, that's their only ranged attack.

Mephits have breath weapons that are 10 or 15 ft cones, meaning that a decent jump check or a polearm can enable you to reach one, as can thrown weapons.

Chimeras, ok that's one more. So you've got manticiores, chimeras and dragons. That's seriously it.

As for mounted flying archers, you can write rules to make that not work. Just say that flying mounts are too unstable to get the proper aim wtih an arrow. Firing from a moving platform is tough, especially if it shakes and you've got wind resistance making it tough to hld your bow and arrow. Again, this is a place where D&D rules are too forgiving to mounted archers. Shooting a bow atop a pegasus should be very difficult, to the point that you can only hit really big creatures.

Right now the rules are written such that fliers get all the advantages, that can change pretty easily. We can pretty much easily rewrite the rules to handle that stuff. Flying mounted archers are a pussy concept anyway, and they should give way to a heroic concept. I could care less if the rules just said "flying and archery don't mix. Period."

If you're going to try to argue 3.X rules at me, at least understand the material, and that our archer isn't an idiot. The archer isn't provoking from running if he's not adjacent to the swordsman. If you're starting these hypothetical people adjacent to each other, which is an awfully big assumption, then he can withdraw with a double move; and thus the swordsman has to run in order to actually get adjacent. Guess what? You're flat-footed while running too, which means he can't take an AoO when the archer starts running himself.

Wrong. You're dex denied, but not flat-footed, and thus can still make AoOs.

To quote you: "If you're going to try to argue 3.X rules at me, at least understand the material."

By the way, you still have yet to actually respond to the while mounted archer archetype, because this one kills the swordsman too.

What kind of caves and buildings are you running around in? The standard is 10', unless it's one of those special ampitheater rooms, which tend to have lots of stuff scattered about, and certainly have adjoining rooms; and I've never seen a door larger than 15' in height in games (barring very special cases). And in those cases, climbers with ranged attacks do the same damn thing as fliers.

This is D&D, the game where you've got structures that can house giants and dragons. Ceilings aren't always going to be low. Sometimes there are massive chambers and shit. Look at Lord of the Rings in Moria. That wasn't all 10 ft ceilings.

You want an over-specialized swordsman who refuses to learn how to climb, apparently can't hide or only tries to hide in an open tundra, never carries a bow or a sling, won't hide behind a tree, won't 'resort' to super jumping, never goes inside, and now he's not going to at least carry a damn tower shield?!

How the fuck are you going to hide if you're carrying a tower shield?

I mentioned stealth a bunch of times already, but you keep ignoring it for whatever reason. I don't know why. I was the one who brought up hiding behind trees and such and I said that most heroes tend to have some degree of hiding ability. But you then go ahead covering your ears and just screaming about how i say swordsman can't hide and make tons of noise.

Obviously you are willing to admit that this 'archetype' will go away at some point, since you've been arguing for high levels for this to happen. If I'm going to play an archetype, why would I want to play a game where the archetype has an expiration date noticeably before everyone else? This part of the argument is made from the PoV that your archetype is actually worth a damn.

Well, the archetype evolves, not goes away. High level still has melee characters, it's just that they fly and teleport. All archetypes have to change to some degree to gain power. A low level wizard may be Gandalf, where as at high levels he's going to be more like a god. This is a level based game, and people are getting new abilities.

Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

I *do* thinnk flying could stand to be regulated better than it is -- I'll probably have an essay up eventually about who needs it and when -- but Random, there IS a place for "really good swordsman" -- it's level 3

At level three, you are an un almost unbelievably badass warrior; effortless capable of hacking down trained guardsmen even if they rush you three at a time. Give yourself a hallway to defend and you'll fell a whole unit of ordinary troops. You can slay minor demons and things, dire animals, ghouls and other lesser undead. If this is a Tome game, you can probably take an ogre. Magic is a useful tool, but not yet *expected* -- whatever utility magic your wizard busts out is a nice bonus, not the price of entry.

Noncombat obstacles are pretty mundane, and can be overcome without magic.

You got the fly spell at level 5, and so really level 7 is the earliest time I'd expect multiple PCs to fly habitually. And you know? Level Seven characters *are* in fairy tale/anime land.

They're expected to wrest treasure from the speargun-laden claws of the sahuagin caverns; they're expected to to be able to fly, knock, and dimension door their way wherever the need to go. Invisible+bow is a viable tactic now. You're expected to be fighting demons and shit as your boss monsters, and a manticore is supposed to be something trivial to drive off.

And at level 7, people are supposed to be pulling super-leaps and riding pegasi and raising armies of the dead and flying around in airships. So no, you need a little mroe depth than just a sword.
RandomCasualty
Prince

Post by RandomCasualty »

Boolean at [unixtime wrote:1204839715[/unixtime]]
At level three, you are an un almost unbelievably badass warrior; effortless capable of hacking down trained guardsmen even if they rush you three at a time. Give yourself a hallway to defend and you'll fell a whole unit of ordinary troops. You can slay minor demons and things, dire animals, ghouls and other lesser undead. If this is a Tome game, you can probably take an ogre. Magic is a useful tool, but not yet *expected* -- whatever utility magic your wizard busts out is a nice bonus, not the price of entry.

Oh please... level 3? You get taken out by like two hits from an orc barbarian at that level. You aren't some badass warrior. Get hit by a ghoul and you'll probably get paralyzed. Like fighting 3 ghouls at once is a deadly encounter for you, and you can't beat an ogre singlehandedly without a lot of luck.

You got the fly spell at level 5, and so really level 7 is the earliest time I'd expect multiple PCs to fly habitually. And you know? Level Seven characters *are* in fairy tale/anime land.

Yes. well, I want to change that. That's the whole point and what 4E is doing.

They're expected to wrest treasure from the speargun-laden claws of the sahuagin caverns; You're expected to be fighting demons and shit as your boss monsters

Stuff you can very well do at 7th level without flight. In fact, flight won't even help against sahuagin, since your'e underwater.

And at level 7, people are supposed to be pulling super-leaps and riding pegasi and raising armies of the dead and flying around in airships. So no, you need a little mroe depth than just a sword.

Says who?

You're basing all this off where 3.5 places the fight spell. But what if it's more like 4E, where you don't get flight until later. Then you don't need super leaps and pegasi mounts to compete.
SunTzuWarmaster
Knight-Baron

Oh yea?! My hypothetical situation can beat YOUR hypothetical situation!

Come on guys, no one even addressed the fact that an archer on a horse is next to unstoppable in an open field.

Also, this is now stupid.
RandomCasualty
Prince

Post by RandomCasualty »

SunTzuWarmaster at [unixtime wrote:1204844254[/unixtime]]

Come on guys, no one even addressed the fact that an archer on a horse is next to unstoppable in an open field.

If the swordsman has a horse, then it's even again.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

RandomCasualty wrote:If the swordsman has a horse, then it's even again.

Is the swordsman allowed to ride a horse with wings?
SunTzuWarmaster
Knight-Baron

Not if the horse archer is 5' out of Run range...

Oh yea?! My hypothetical situation can beat YOUR hypothetical situation!
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

I'm talking about how you could modify rules to prevent it. So quite simply, falling objects don't hit adventurers as a rule. Period.

Except that you don't have to just plain drop. You can just grab a hefty rock that you could throw, dive and release.

Will'o'wisps? You mean the kind that have a melee touch attack and that's it?

Imps? 1/day they can cast suggestion as a SLA, that's their only ranged attack.

Mephits have breath weapons that are 10 or 15 ft cones, meaning that a decent jump check or a polearm can enable you to reach one, as can thrown weapons.

Chimeras, ok that's one more. So you've got manticiores, chimeras and dragons. That's seriously it.

I'm used to will-o'-the-wisps being alot like lantern archons, my bad on that. Imps and mephits very much do have ranged attacks, because of that thing called hands, much like harpies & sprites (of various types), another one you conveniently forgot about.

And since you will only consider the direct evidence we shove in your face, I'll include a (*) for creatures that resonate in mythology and aren't just weird things made to fit the archetype (though the fact there's an archetype to match says something). Don't forget the hands thing.
From the SRD: Arrowhawk, gargoyle*, succubus, genies*, ghost* (those with TK and those with bows), certain half-fiends, ogre mage * (oni and miscellaneous eastern demons), ravid (stay out of reach while the environment attacks is equivalent to ranged attacks), vampires* (D&D vamps can still use dominate while in cloud form, and other types of vampires in myth can fly in human form, and spider climbing w/shifting works too), ythark

Even in your appreciation for 4E, we have the spined devil. A level 6 flying monster with a ranged attack. So obviously they're still making monsters do things drastically before the PCs (which was the point of this thread I believe).

And, like it or not, it is an established archetype for there to be archers on flying mounts. It's not a fact that they are stupid, it's your opinion, and one I disagree with. *I* would rather see the stupid swordsman be removed rather than the archer with flight, since those two cannot work together (though a smart swordsman can).

Wrong. You're dex denied, but not flat-footed...

Alright, you got me on the running part. I suppose the ranged+speed doesn't pan out when they start their fight adjacent to each other, except for the fact that the swordsman has but once chance to make that sunder attempt (we can't assume he has the feat, because that takes even more effort to have than a tower shield) since it's an opposed attack roll.

Ceilings aren't always going to be low.

You speak of the vaulted ceilings as being more common than the 10' tall ones, and not dependent. Even then, we're going to have climbers & people standing in doorways partway up the wall on another level, all using ranged attacks; screwing the stupid swordsman as readily as a flier.

I was the one who brought up hiding behind trees and such...

I call bull.

virgileso wrote:Now, for when the bear gives up and goes behind cover or into his cave...

Now, I had also mentioned before the idea of "hiding under a rock". I just realized that you're possibly reading the most literal interpretation of that phrase. I mean for that technique to cover the entire range of using cover/concealment to prevent an archer from shooting at you so he has to get close to find/get you.

I would then include samples of how to go about said "hide under a rock", but you've been arguing over every damn nit-picky thing, trying to find holes with the purpose that somehow only flight is capable of doing this and no other form of keeping distance from the swordsman.

How the fuck are you going to hide carrying a tower shield?

By not wearing it when you aren't using it? It's just an extra weight in your backpack that way. If you can't hide, put on the shield.

That's why I've been 'covering my ears', because I can't hear it when you muffle it with arguing.

Well, the archetype evolves, not goes away. High level still has melee characters, it's just that they fly and teleport.

This seems like a contradiction in your general attitude throughout this thread. When we have the archetype evolve to include new abilities & it's still the archetype, then that ability isn't something that breaks the archetype; thus having flight enter the scene at an earlier level wouldn't harm your 'archetype'.
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

I just noticed the extra posts that came online while I was making that prior monstrosity.

SunTzuWarmaster, you bring ancient Eastern wisdom. RC's beligerence with hypothetical situations, which weren't meant to be simulated duels to begin with, has distracted me and left me ignoring my opinion on the situation.

I'm going to cease such debates and condense my argument/opinion...
* Maneuverability other than perfect/good needs to be used more
* Flight needs to be a greater investment than the sum of jumping and climbing
* Ranged combat and flight is a heroic and appropriate combination, as viable as dueling swordsmen
* Decisions to leave oneself tactically limited without also including/using defenses against poor situations deserve whatever happens to them (archer in melee, for instance)
* Flying mounts (and equivalant situations) should be available by level 7
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

virgileso at [unixtime wrote:1204849834[/unixtime]]I

Flying should almost always require jumping and climbing anyway. Actual flying creatures run and then jump or climb and then jump to get aloft in the first place. If you're using winged flight in normal environments, you need to be able to climb and jump well because you don't have the room to fly.

Certain creatures (like beholders) can't climb or jump, but they work just as well as non-flying creatures unaffected by terrain: they should have low flight ceilings anyway.

Pegasi and hippogryphs should be really good at jumping, because they probably have wings spans around 30'. A pegasus flies like an airplane: It runs far enough to get up the speed to make a jump check, jumps, and then it's flying. A pegasus in a forest is not a creature capable of flight unless the trees are spaced way more than 30' apart (and that's not a forest). A pegasus above a dense forest is no more capable of landing than a Cessna.

The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Draco_Argentum
Duke

Post by Draco_Argentum »

This thread is a horrid mismash of how the rules work and how they should work.

I vote for virgil and Catharz's latest posts.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

CatharzGodfoot at [unixtime wrote:1204854305[/unixtime]]
virgileso at [unixtime wrote:1204849834[/unixtime]]I

Flying should almost always require jumping and climbing anyway. Actual flying creatures run and then jump or climb and then jump to get aloft in the first place. If you're using winged flight in normal environments, you need to be able to climb and jump well because you don't have the room to fly.

Flying also has its own hazards such as wind current or visibility to ground-dwelling observers that should be factored.
However, it's obviously optimal to climbing and jumping as it is better than the sum of both.

My view on natural flight:
Monsters that rely on fly must focus on flight if it comes by physical or supernatural abilities (disregard spells for the moment). This focus in mobility should prevent the monster from attaining a high defense or attack in exchange for supreme mobility, just as flighed birds have. They aren't tough but some can still fight to some degree with their beak and claws; they can't take blows though, since their bones are hollow.
In a game setting this is a balance factor, since the monster won't last long in combat and must use flight to survive (ie: retreat)

My view on supernatural flight:
Spells break all semblance of reality. That's the point.
If you want to discuss the balance of spells, prepare to throw all inclusion of balance out because you're also ignoring fundamentals such as mass, friction, and... well.. common sense.
To determine the character level in which flight would be appropriate, one should consider the availability of flight; is there something better? Can one acquire an Epic Mount without whoring their body? How common is a constant use item that grants flight?
I personally don't hold the "player vs. monster encounter" dynamic in mind when thinking of where flight fits in, since as Frank pointed out a while ago, a L1 spellcaster with a bird familiar can fly. One must look to other measures of balance other than spell level or character level.