About the Gaming Den?

Practice posts and questions about the boards. The registration code for this board is 'Th3G@m|ngD3n' (Note the use of numbers and symbols!)

Moderator: Moderators

radthemad4
Duke

About the Gaming Den?

Post by radthemad4 »

Occasionally while browsing old threads, I find mentions of something called the Nifty forums here, where many posters were familiar. The place seems to have been suddenly abandoned in 2008. This site has posts as far back as 2003, though many users have apparently joined around 2008, wondering if these are related. Some digging made me realize I was apparently on some kind of archive or something (I was clicked the Why Monks link on this thread). I found a link by Maj to another Nifty forum thingy on that site, which led to a newer Nifty forum...which seems to have been abandoned in 2012. While this link crawling, conspiracy theorizing, search has been fun and all, I figured it might be easier to just ask about it.

So, who's Nifty? Did the sites coexist? What'd the deal with that site and this one?
Last edited by radthemad4 on Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

http://www.tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=158&view=next

See if that answers some questions for you.

Also, the original TGDMB was on BBBoy, but their customer support sucked, so we moved to this site in a joint effort with Nifty (also a BBBoy original) in 2008.

As to why New Nifty was abandoned in 2012, I am not really sure.

Game On,
fbmf
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

well that should be filed in with the that that should be able to be unseen...

basically, moderators on WotC, ENWorld, etc forums are assholes with special privileges to be assholes, and nepotism abounds, while the average poster has to toe the line.

thus TGD was born where polite anarchy reigns for all...or the mods are less assholes than the majority of posters and everoyne is happy with that.

how exactly does that have to do with this being the old regime of CharOps forums though?
Play the game, not the rules.
Swordslinger wrote:Or fuck it... I'm just going to get weapon specialization in my cock and whip people to death with it. Given all the enemies are total pussies, it seems like the appropriate thing to do.
Lewis Black wrote:If the people of New Zealand want to be part of our world, I believe they should hop off their islands, and push 'em closer.
good read (Note to self Maxus sucks a barrel of cocks.)
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

fbmf wrote:http://www.tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=158&view=next

See if that answers some questions for you.

Also, the original TGDMB was on BBBoy, but their customer support sucked, so we moved to this site in a joint effort with Nifty (also a BBBoy original) in 2008.
Yeah, that sums it up pretty much. So when you moved, many old posts did as well, which explains why people joining in 2008 have posts dating as far back as 2003. But then, why isn't there a copy of the 'Why Monks?' thread and other old Nifty threads here?
shadzar wrote:well that should be filed in with the that that should be able to be unseen...
Er... sorry, what?
shadzar wrote:basically, moderators on WotC, ENWorld, etc forums are assholes with special privileges to be assholes, and nepotism abounds, while the average poster has to toe the line.

thus TGD was born where polite anarchy reigns for all...or the mods are less assholes than the majority of posters and everoyne is happy with that.
And everybody lived happily ever after. :)
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

radthemad4 wrote:
shadzar wrote:basically, moderators on WotC, ENWorld, etc forums are assholes with special privileges to be assholes, and nepotism abounds, while the average poster has to toe the line.

And everybody lived happily ever after. :)
i want to be able to unsee something i saw from this thread and what it referenced :cool:

yeah, the trolls around here are easier to deal with than the orcs at WotC that is for damn sure. and you don't have to kiss someone's grandmothers ass like at ENWorld or whatever that stupid rule is, cause i could give a shit less who Eric Noah is, nor his grandmother....
Play the game, not the rules.
Swordslinger wrote:Or fuck it... I'm just going to get weapon specialization in my cock and whip people to death with it. Given all the enemies are total pussies, it seems like the appropriate thing to do.
Lewis Black wrote:If the people of New Zealand want to be part of our world, I believe they should hop off their islands, and push 'em closer.
good read (Note to self Maxus sucks a barrel of cocks.)
Zherog
Knight-Baron

Post by Zherog »

When we moved, all old posts should have migrated with us. Here's the "Why Monks" thread on 'new' Nifty for example.
But then, why isn't there a copy of the 'Why Monks?' thread and other old Nifty threads here?
Nifty and the Den are different places, so things that were made on Nifty wouldn't be here unless somebody specifically recreated it.
Last edited by Zherog on Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You can't fix stupid.

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." ~ Jackie Robinson
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Ah, so that's the origin of the "Monks transform into tigers as an unofficial class ability".

I think RA Salvatore also had a monk transform into a tiger in one of his novels.
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

OgreBattle wrote:Ah, so that's the origin of the "Monks transform into tigers as an unofficial class ability".

I think RA Salvatore also had a monk transform into a tiger in one of his novels.
You are correct on both accounts.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Zherog wrote:When we moved, all old posts should have migrated with us. Here's the "Why Monks" thread on 'new' Nifty for example.
But then, why isn't there a copy of the 'Why Monks?' thread and other old Nifty threads here?
Nifty and the Den are different places, so things that were made on Nifty wouldn't be here unless somebody specifically recreated it.
Sorry, I misunderstood. When fbmf said that you moved in 2008, I thought you meant you moved here, not from the old Nifty to the new Nifty.

I still don't get how so many users' join date is 2008, but have posts in 2003.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

radthemad4 wrote:
Zherog wrote:When we moved, all old posts should have migrated with us. Here's the "Why Monks" thread on 'new' Nifty for example.
Sorry, I misunderstood. When fbmf said that you moved in 2008, I thought you meant you moved here, not from the old Nifty to the new Nifty.

I still don't get how so many users' join date is 2008, but have posts in 2003.
No, we moved here from old bb board TGD. Nifty and TGD are two different boards that happen to have once shared a lot of regulars and be hosted in approximately the same way, and they both moved hosting at the same time.

OTGD pre 2008->New TGD post 2008

Old Nifty pre 2008->New Nifty (RIP) 2008-2012

So we have posts dating back to 2003 (although a lot of them just say "User") because TGD used to be on a different board, and now it is on this one, so our accounts were all created in 2008, but imported posts from before then.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

That clears it up. Thanks.