Gygax is dead?

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Captain_Bleach
Knight-Baron

Re: Gygax is dead?

Post by Captain_Bleach »

norms29 wrote:say what you want about his honesty, but I still think we owe him some respect.

I now suggest we have 1d6+4 moments of silence in his memory

Yes, it is a shame that he died.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

It's 'viral' and spreads far because he's a real and influential person, not some internet joke, and he died recently. Not even mudkips could reach that kind of respect.
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Yeah, my parents knew arneson, that's how I even knew about him, but I think that some respect, or at least appreciation, should go toward gygax. The memorial thing is just stupid, though.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Absentminded_Wizard
Duke

Post by Absentminded_Wizard »

I first played D&D in one of the red box editions, so I knew the name from the beginning of my involvement in the hobby. I didn't know about all the back-and-forth between Gygax and Arneson until much later, though. And I (obviously) agree that Gygax is due some respect or appreciation. The fact that he tried to claim a much larger role in the creation of the hobby than he actually had doesn't mean he didn't play a key role in its development.

There used to be this thing about speaking ill of the dead, especially the recently dead. It would be nice if we could have a moratorium on the more venomous criticism of Gygax's many faults until he's at least in the ground.
Doom314's satirical 4e power wrote:Complete AnnihilationWar-metawarrior 1

An awesome bolt of multicolored light fires from your eyes and strikes your foe, disintegrating him into a fine dust in a nonmagical way.

At-will: Martial, Weapon
Standard Action Melee Weapon ("sword", range 10/20)
Target: One Creature
Attack: Con vs AC
Hit: [W] + Con, and the target is slowed.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Dead? In the ground? Nah, come on - 1d10 days.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Voss
Prince

Post by Voss »

Absentminded_Wizard at [unixtime wrote:1204792927[/unixtime]]
There used to be this thing about speaking ill of the dead, especially the recently dead. It would be nice if we could have a moratorium on the more venomous criticism of Gygax's many faults until he's at least in the ground.

There used to be reasons for it, too. Used to be, you lived in a fairly small, tight nit community. If you talked shit about a dead person, you upset their family and generally started issues between your family and theirs. Now? Now you've got 6 billion anonymous strangers. Miss Manners doesn't have as much practical value anymore.
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

Absentminded_Wizard at [unixtime wrote:1204792927[/unixtime]]I first played D&D in one of the red box editions, so I knew the name from the beginning of my involvement in the hobby. I didn't know about all the back-and-forth between Gygax and Arneson until much later, though. And I (obviously) agree that Gygax is due some respect or appreciation. The fact that he tried to claim a much larger role in the creation of the hobby than he actually had doesn't mean he didn't play a key role in its development.
What we should do with thieves isn't to scrape together every little thing they actually did on their own to congratulate them for ...
Hans Freyer, s.b.u.h. wrote:A manly, a bold tone prevails in history. He who has the grip has the booty.
Huston Smith wrote:Life gives us no view of the whole. We see only snatches here and there, (...)
brotherfrancis75 wrote:Perhaps you imagine that Ayn Rand is our friend? And the Mont Pelerin Society? No, those are but the more subtle versions of the Bolshevik Communist Revolution you imagine you reject. (...) FOX NEWS IS ALSO COMMUNIST!
LDSChristian wrote:True. I do wonder which is worse: killing so many people like Hitler did or denying Christ 3 times like Peter did.
Lago_AM3P
Duke

Post by Lago_AM3P »

Unfortunately, this occasion is being used to cement Gary Gygax's reputation as sole grandfather and mastermind of D&D.

So yes, I am going to talk shit about him. I'm sure people talked shit about Nixon when his ass was put in the ground even when people tried to DESPERATELY have us forget about all of the ill shit he did by hyping up what a great statesman he was. Same for Reagan. Shit, people writing this sort of pandering, ignorant bullshit only makes me want to bash them more.

His legacy is bullshit and a warped Aesop and I wish someone had the balls and/or knowledge to confront him on this.

IT'S OVER, THE THIEVES WIN.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Lago, we don't worship him. I barely even respect him.

Lago_AM3P
Duke

Post by Lago_AM3P »

'We' as in the nerd community.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

Lago_AM3P at [unixtime wrote:1204839134[/unixtime]]
IT'S OVER, THE THIEVES WIN.

Welcome to the wonderful world of capitalism! :thumb:
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Lago_AM3P at [unixtime wrote:1204856470[/unixtime]]

'We' as in the nerd community.

Ah.. then in that case there really would be no 'we'.
The Nerd Community is the most fractious, self-defeating group I've ever seen.

The general mood will change, eventually, some time not too long after his death. I'd guess that in about a few weeks from now the personal attacks will surge, the disillusionment, the bitchtastic threads and blogs, and of course... cashing on on a big anti-Gygax surge.

But I understand where you're coming from with the rejection of Gygax-fellating; it's the vultures swooping in because they smell fresh meat. There's money to be had in emotional investment, and that's why they show up now of all times.

But on other news, I joined the Facebook group "RIP, Gary Gygax".
Why?
I don't know, really... :blush:
Absentminded_Wizard
Duke

Post by Absentminded_Wizard »

I'm not sure Gygax is going to win the D&D legacy battle. Now that he's gone, Dave Arneson gets some time in the spotlight by himself as the sole living co-creator of the original game. Also, I wonder if the gag order from the old settlement is still in effect now that TSR doesn't exist and Gygax is in the Great Beyond. :smirk:
Doom314's satirical 4e power wrote:Complete AnnihilationWar-metawarrior 1

An awesome bolt of multicolored light fires from your eyes and strikes your foe, disintegrating him into a fine dust in a nonmagical way.

At-will: Martial, Weapon
Standard Action Melee Weapon ("sword", range 10/20)
Target: One Creature
Attack: Con vs AC
Hit: [W] + Con, and the target is slowed.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

I just thought that I would bump this thread for irony.

THE THIEVES STILL WIN.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Ganbare Gincun
Duke

Post by Ganbare Gincun »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:I just thought that I would bump this thread for irony.

THE THIEVES STILL WIN.
Were you expecting some other outcome? :lol: