So, Anime You Like Lately

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

erik
King

Post by erik »

I began reading Tower of God manga and liked it. It reminds me kind of like Hunter X Hunter in that it has ongoing competitions between super-people that remain enjoyable.

Dunno if it has become animated yet.

[edit:]Oh, and yay. I found an AMV from 2001 that I loved back then and still think is great despite the age-old image quality.
Last edited by erik on Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
TOZ
Duke

Post by TOZ »

Tainted Doughnuts is classic.
Sigil
Knight

Post by Sigil »

Recently I've been watching Kill la Kill, which is currently up to five episodes.

The show relies pretty heavily on common anime tropes/cliches, which I would normally say as a negative thing, but in this case seems to work. It allows the show to move very quickly and focus on the humor and those aspects of the setting that are different than that of other anime in the same vein.

To summarize the setting: The world, or what of it exists within the show, seems to be run by giant totalitarian high schools. The students (that matter) at these schools get super special uniforms that give them super special powers. These powers are based on whatever club they belong to (gardening, tennis, etc). The protagonist and antagonist have special variants of these uniforms that are even more super special, and also need to be invoked with obvious sailor moon transformation parodies, and drink the blood of the wearer, and turn into incredibly skimpy bikini chainmail type armor.

It's weird, I like the style, and you can watch it on crunchyroll.
rampaging-poet
Knight

Post by rampaging-poet »

The UVic Anime Club finished watching Another last Wednesday. It was an interesting series, and I'd highly recommend it to anyone who doesn't mind seeing fictional characters die gruesomely. It's a lot like I've heard the Final Destination movies are once it gets going, but with some decent characterization. The human contribution to everything that went wrong seemed to be the real point, and the ending was foreshadowed perfectly.

Also, Zoidberg perfectly summed up my thoughts on every episode of Penguindrum we've watched so far: "That just raises further questions!"

I'm somewhat disappointed in Valvrave for dropping what could have been an interesting new plot line immediately after it was introduced, but I understand not wanting to have too many things going on at the same time. Episode 4 ended that story, but introduced some additional complications.
Marie had seen Haruto regenerate his eye at the end of episode 2. At the end of episode 3, she briefly talks to the Valvrave's AI, who knew her before she lost her memory (I think that's the first time her amnesia came up). She then confronted Haruto, and L-Elf shot her. She regenerated. In episode 4 it was revealed that she was the test pilot for the first Valvrave, but she was removed from the position because she leaked Runes like a sieve while Valvrave was in motion, causing her to lose most of her memories. When Haruto can't get to Unit 01, she sacrifices herself to save everyone by piloting it again.

The added complication is that Saki was possessing a boy in the Dorsian army and wasn't able to make it back to the transport they stole before it took off. She's stuck on a cliff with A-Drei, so it may be some time before she can return. She probably makes it back safely because someone identical to her appears in the flash-forwards, but with possession shenanigans being a thing it isn't certain.
DSMatticus wrote:I sort my leisure activities into a neat and manageable categorized hierarchy, then ignore it and dick around on the internet.
My deviantArt account, in case anyone cares.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

I think they knew full well what the words meant when they chose some innocent English words for the market in this:
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

What papaya is that, Koumei?
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

I just finished reading 666 Satan/O-Parts Hunter, and I must say it got better as the series went along. About halfway through the artwork got a major boost but the story was meandering and slow.

I can see why it never made it as an anime or OVA but it might have made a good standalone movie with some serious chopjob to the plot.

On to The Breaker...
Wiseman
Duke

Post by Wiseman »

Does RWBY count as anime enough for this thread? Because the first season has just completed, and I was wondering if anyone else here watched it.
Keys to the Contract: A crossover between Puella Magi Madoka Magica and Kingdom Hearts.
RadiantPhoenix wrote:
TheFlatline wrote:Legolas/Robin Hood are myths that have completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a bow".
The D&D wizard is a work of fiction that has a completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a book".
hyzmarca wrote:Well, Mario Mario comes from a blue collar background. He was a carpenter first, working at a construction site. Then a plumber. Then a demolitionist. Also, I'm not sure how strict Mushroom Kingdom's medical licensing requirements are. I don't think his MD is valid in New York.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Wiseman: I think it does count, yes.
Mask_De_H wrote:What papaya is that, Koumei?
It's the latest OAD of KissxSis (that's 09). I consider this one to be not as good as the others, but that's because this one was devoted to armpit licking action, which isn't really my thing. It had enough comedy in there though.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

Okay yeah, I can see KissxSis making a joke like that.
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Sigil wrote: To summarize the setting: The world, or what of it exists within the show, seems to be run by giant totalitarian high schools. The students (that matter) at these schools get super special uniforms that give them super special powers. These powers are based on whatever club they belong to (gardening, tennis, etc). The protagonist and antagonist have special variants of these uniforms that are even more super special, and also need to be invoked with obvious sailor moon transformation parodies, and drink the blood of the wearer, and turn into incredibly skimpy bikini chainmail type armor.

It's weird, I like the style, and you can watch it on crunchyroll.
It's similar to FLCL in it's about the transformation puberty makes on a person, and the road to becoming an adult. Just as Naota basically had a giant shameful boner teleporting stuff out of his head, Ryuko's transformation by blood is a metaphor for what girls go through.

Just marathoned up to level 6. Lookin' forward to episode 7!!
Last edited by OgreBattle on Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sigil
Knight

Post by Sigil »

You know, I was going to mention similarity to FLCL in my post, but refrained. Your comparison is spot on, but the pace of Kill la Kill is so much more hectic I didn't want to misrepresent it.

You also got ahead of me, I'm just about to start 6.
TOZ
Duke

Post by TOZ »

Totally watching RWBY as well, despite the voice acting grating on me.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Tokyo Ravens is, despite the crappy CGI, so far surprisingly enjoyable to me.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Corsair114
Master

Post by Corsair114 »

Kinda waiting for the start of Space Dandy.

Oh, need to get caught up on RWBY, as well.
The rules are the game, without them you're just playing cowboys and indians with a side of craps. Image
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

now THIS ONE reminds me very much of FLCL personally O.o
Yozakura Quartet Hana no Uta
Art-Style, Character-Design and Randomness . .
Only watched one episode yet, so not sure if one can draw some obscure connection to it being an allegory of growing up or something . .
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

Finally got around to seeing Redline. I like it.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Freezing covered the "visiting home" arc in just two episodes. And that's all it needed. Nice and resolved, and focusing more on the psychological control her creepy step-brother exerted, and how he was fucked in the head.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Ancient History wrote:Finally got around to seeing Redline. I like it.
KILLA BEATS KILLA BEATS KILLA BEATS! Man, Roboworld was so goddamn enthralling. Redline is a hand drawn labor of beautiful love, glad you enjoyed it! It's a story very much about the heart of the Japanese animation industry (the protagonist named "JP" and his use of an 'outdated' style of vehicle in a galactic race) There's actually another animation that's set in the same universe which came out before Redline, stars Trava and the red helmet guy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqPRgMlW ... 5BBC8F2B51

I really love the style everything was in, would love to play a game/RPG set in that universe.
Sigil wrote:You know, I was going to mention similarity to FLCL in my post, but refrained. Your comparison is spot on, but the pace of Kill la Kill is so much more hectic I didn't want to misrepresent it.

You also got ahead of me, I'm just about to start 6.
Man, there are so many puns in Kill la Kill

English Japanese Pronounced
Fashion ファッション Fashhon
Fascism ファシズム Fashizumu
Kill/Cut キル Kiru
To wear (clothes) 着る Kiru
Sailor Uniform 制服 Seifuku
Conquest 征服 Seifuku

Just did a blog entry on Kill la Kill's imagery, including ancient Chinese warlord quotations, feudal Japanese warlords, matchmaker gods and the red thread of destiny, FLCL lemons, and so on:
http://art-eater.com/2013/11/kill-la-ki ... f-fascism/
Some of the infographics I made:
ImageImage
Last edited by OgreBattle on Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

So, watched a movie called Loup=Garou in Anime Club today. It's set in a future where an omnipresent survellience network monitors everything yet fails to stop serial killings. so the club had entirely too much fun making cracks about it being a prequel to Psycho-Pass. The main character is a girl with crippling social anxiety who walks around looking through her cellphone camera at the start, until one of her classmates unleashes magical hacking powers, breaks into her house, blanks out both of them from the surveillance system, and drags her off to look into the disappearance of another girl as part of an attempt to form a band, also including a deadpan and extremely masculine-looking girl with whom the Yuri is quite strong, all of them possessing creepily dead eyes. Then they stumble onto the sinister truth behind the serial killings in the city, and eventually why exactly a fairly high-tech setting is named after a variation on werewolves.
There was a weird bit where the magic hacker girl got her place bombed, and after seeing this on the news the main character assumed she was dead after failing to contact her cellphone. Thing is, her entire shtick had been shutting them off from the network, and a connection failure would be more likely to imply she's alive and in hiding
There was also a personal moment of amusement for me when the main villain was being incredibly creepy at the heroines.
What I actually said while watching wrote:Okay, just stab him already.
*knife abruptly appears in his neck*
Thank you!
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

The third Madoka Magica movie. I, uh, don't know whether or not that ending was happy or not. I guess my favorite character liked it.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

The latest Freezing was an utter delight: it's getting more serious, more dire, more people are nearly dead, they've pretty much reached the storage chamber of Maria Lancelot, and the E-Pandora is turning into a Nova (see: Godzilla Monster).

And with some silliness in there to keep it from getting too dark. I'll put screencaps up when I get home.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

I recently downloaded the first season of Ranma 1/2. I don't know why I put it off for this long.

Why just the first season? Because otherwise the torrent is massively huge and too big to fit on my computer!
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

As promised...
So harsh.

Note: Cassie could in fact have just fucked her and achieved the same (delay her, giving the others time to get to the central room).
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

name_here wrote:The third Madoka Magica movie. I, uh, don't know whether or not that ending was happy or not. I guess my favorite character liked it.
It's happy for most for now is probably the best way to put it.