Do you even mod, bro?

Discussions and debates about video games

Moderator: Moderators

Bihlbo
Master

Post by Bihlbo »

Kaelik wrote:
Bihlbo wrote:No one's mentioned Minecraft yet.
Well, except for the person who mentioned Minecraft.
Oops. That'll teach me to start a post in the morning and not get back to it until I'm done at work. Must post more while working.

There was a mod called Massive Mod for Stranded 2. Mostly unfinished. I liked parts of it though, so I changed, finished, and expanded more than half of that mod. This made the game more fun and diverse for me, but like other sandbox games you eventually have no point in surviving another day. That's when I lost interest and so didn't put on the finishing touches.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

I've been working on a Doom mod for a while. I took about two months off, and revisited it tonight to fix a bug that had been plaguing me.

I'm working on turning it into somewhat of a zombie horror game. The overall changes include:
[*]"Realistic" weapons. Each has an internal capacity and must be reloaded. You can only carry two full sized guns and one backup gun at a time. Guns can be dropped and picked back up for later use.
[*]The chainsaw is replaced with a knife. If you have the pistol as your backup weapon (as opposed to the uzi), you can hold the knife in one hand and the pistol in the other.
[*]I've (so far) mapped the monsters one-to-one for replacements. There will be slow and fast zombies, various cultists, undead, and demons. All of the monster behavior is complete, but I only have sprites for the slow zombies and three types of cultists so far.
[*]Many of the monsters are much harder to fight. For example, the arch vile will sometimes teleport instead of attacking, will sometimes summon monsters instead of attacking, and will always teleport when hit. The cyber demon (now a very large red and black baron of hell) shoots fireballs that behave like rockets. He may shoot five at a time. He may create a series of cascading explosions that expand along the ground. He can also summon lesser demons and use the auto-hit flame attack of the arch vile.
[*]There are also humans, which will typically run from monsters. If killed by zombies, they will become zombies themselves.
[*]To keep things interesting, I've taken advantage of inheritance and palate swaps to make many different zombies in terms of clothes and skin color.
[*]I will eventually make a five-level campaign for the game, as well.

Most of the functionality is there, but I still have a lot of sprite work to do, as well as all of the sounds, and levels. I can post some screen shots later when I get some time.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

Sounds cool. I've played a few doom mods, but haven't seen anything this ambitious that wasn't being sold as a full game... Well, I guess Chex Quest was sorta-freeware?
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

Yeah, I'd do it for free. It's a labor of love. Sadly, my sprite-making skills are only so good. I've been told several times that I should go to the forums and ask others to help out. I may do that at some point, but I'm not sure, yet.

Part of what makes the zombies not look so good is that I'm being picky how I use the colors, which sort of limits the color depth I can use. The pro is that it makes palette swapping super easy. The con is the sprites look a little more basic. Also, I probably should have used a higher resolution, since the Doom port is able to apply a scaling factor to resize the sprites. This would reduce pixelation. While I have no intention in the short term of redoing all of my slow zombie sprites, I may attempt to make some better ones for future monsters.