Any good MMOs out there?

Discussions and debates about video games

Moderator: Moderators

Wiseman
Duke

Any good MMOs out there?

Post by Wiseman »

Okay, so I've been looking around for a new MMO to play. I tried SWtoR but it was kind of a let down. I really liked dungeon fighter, but it's closing, so fuck...

Anything else that's good out there. I've heard about age of wushu but it looks like it has a lot of system requirements and I heard something about limiting free players...
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Do you specifically want an MMORPG, or is it just the "Massively Multiplayer" bit that you're interested in? I hear that World of Tanks (which is the latter) is a lot of fun, but every time I see the ad for "The first tank-based MMO" my mind sticks -RPG at the end so I imagine tanks rolling up to each other and asking to go blow up seven ammunition dumps and bring back the shell casings.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

It's been forever since I upgraded my computer hardware so my options are quite limited. City of Heroes was awesome before it shut down. RIP. Moment of silence. Respect for the dead out of the way, the original Guild Wars is also something I've enjoyed a lot. You could argue that it's not really an MMO at all, though, just an online multiplayer RPG like Diablo II with fancy lobbies. Every area that has any baddies at all is instanced. In some ways this is a good thing.

There's a game called Requiem: Memento Mori which is a tragedy. It has a horror aesthetic which looks pretty sweet, but unfortunately it is attached to a really bad WoW clone. It's free, though, and I'd seriously recommend playing through until the point when the grind sets in (it should only take about 5-10 hours to get there, tops) just for the visuals.
vagrant
Knight

Post by vagrant »

Yay after months of lurking I've finally got something relevant to post in. I'd recommend The Secret World if you're looking for an MMORPG that isn't a WoW clone. Class-less systems and a pretty awesome modern horror/fantasy setting, with a dev team that actually <i>gasp</i> supports roleplayers, and interacts with them on Twitter. It's pretty sweet, actually.
Then, once you have absorbed the lesson, that your so-called "friends" are nothing but meat sacks flopping around in the fashion of an outgassing corpse, pile all of your dice and pencils and graph-paper in the corner and SET THEM ON FIRE. Weep meaningless tears.

-DrPraetor
crasskris
Journeyman

Post by crasskris »

Chamomile wrote:the original Guild Wars is also something I've enjoyed a lot.
The second one is neat, too, although by what I hear for completely different reasons.
Big seller: aside from the widely branching personal story missions there are no quests, only events. These are open for participation for everyone, so spontaneous (albeit a little chaotic) grouping is the norm. In fact the whole game is as un-competitive and coop-friendly as it gets, at least outside of PvP and World vs. World.
DragonChild
Knight-Baron

Post by DragonChild »

I'd also suggest the secret world; no subscription, no buy-to-win, solid gameplay mechanics and is overall a very unique experience. If you're interested toss me a PM with your email and I'll send you a trial - they're having a special this weekend for extra starting gold (used to buy mission packs that were released after it went free to play and outfits).
Sarandosil
Apprentice

Post by Sarandosil »

vagrant wrote:Yay after months of lurking I've finally got something relevant to post in. I'd recommend The Secret World if you're looking for an MMORPG that isn't a WoW clone. Class-less systems and a pretty awesome modern horror/fantasy setting, with a dev team that actually <i>gasp</i> supports roleplayers, and interacts with them on Twitter. It's pretty sweet, actually.
That looks pretty interesting, gonna look into it myself.
Korgan0
Duke

Post by Korgan0 »

Don't play Eve. Don't.
Ravengm
Knight

Post by Ravengm »

crasskris wrote:
Chamomile wrote:the original Guild Wars is also something I've enjoyed a lot.
The second one is neat, too, although by what I hear for completely different reasons.
Big seller: aside from the widely branching personal story missions there are no quests, only events. These are open for participation for everyone, so spontaneous (albeit a little chaotic) grouping is the norm. In fact the whole game is as un-competitive and coop-friendly as it gets, at least outside of PvP and World vs. World.
If I had more free time I'd be playing more GW2. There are a couple of other selling points too:
  • *One-time purchase and minimal micro-transactions (basically just to increase inventory/bank size, and the real-money currency is purchasable with in-game gold).
    *Extra content packages are released every month.
    *Level scaling in areas so you can adventure with people that are of any level below you without completely trivializing the game.
    *PvP is optional and surprisingly not bad.
    *Not actually that grindy to gain levels.
Random thing I saw on Facebook wrote:Just make sure to compare your results from Weapon Bracket Table and Elevator Load Composition (Dragon Magazine #12) to the Perfunctory Armor Glossary, Version 3.8 (Races of Minneapolis, pp. 183). Then use your result as input to the "DM Says Screw You" equation.
Sigil
Knight

Post by Sigil »

Defiance dropped down to $10, so I decided to try it out. It's got a few good points, but ultimately is marred by poor execution and bad UI. It's not horrible, I had fun for the few days I played it, but I couldn't justify spending more time with it.
crasskris
Journeyman

Post by crasskris »

Ravengm wrote:If I had more free time I'd be playing more GW2. There are a couple of other selling points too:
Then let me add one or two more:
  • * Crafting materials and other collectibles you can send directly from your inventory, sellable equipment you can send directly to the auction house, which makes buying extra inventory space optional.
    * Contrary to my previous statement, there are other 'quest' elements besides events and story missions, namely static quests called renown hearts. To complete a heart, you usually can do one of three to six different tasks that include hunting ghosts, working therapeutically with cows, participating in rifle battlefield drills, building scarecrows, playing with plant dog whelps, spraying invisible egg poachers with freshly made frog juice, and so on. Renown hearts can be a nice change of pace if you look for something different than ye old butcherfeast for a while.
Last edited by crasskris on Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AndreiChekov
Knight-Baron

Post by AndreiChekov »

Vindictus Vindictus dear lord Vindictus.
Its a mmorpg with interesting combat. The combat style is an arcade fighter. It's the only mmorpg I've ever played where I didn't die of boredom in combat.
Peace favour your sword.

I only play 3.x
nockermensch
Duke

Post by nockermensch »

AndreiChekov wrote:Vindictus Vindictus dear lord Vindictus.
Its a mmorpg with interesting combat. The combat style is an arcade fighter. It's the only mmorpg I've ever played where I didn't die of boredom in combat.
Vindictus' older brother, Mabinogi, used to have a genuinely interesting combat system where the basic melee moves worked in a basically RPS fashion (normal attack beats smash that beats block that beats normal attack), enemy HPs were usually low enough and combat had enough of constant footwork and guessing to keep it interesting. Magic was strong but could be defended and the mana recharge rate was low enough to discourage you just spamming that. Archery was deadly but again could be defended and they even introduced two anti-archery skills later (a shield charge/bash and a dodge).

Then they caved and revamped the combat to work with a pretty much typical cooldown based system and introduced bosses with 500,000hp where everybody is supposed to spam smash to win.

Mabinogi still has some pretty radical ideas for a MMO: No minimum level to wear equipment, no minimum level to enter any place or dungeon and it's skill based instead of class based (even with the recent talent system trying to be a "class", you can still swap talents each three weeks).

It's still basically the only MMO I still have patience to log in sometimes. I lost the interest in combat, but there's still some life skills minigames I find interesting as time sinks.
@ @ Nockermensch
Koumei wrote:After all, in Firefox you keep tabs in your browser, but in SovietPutin's Russia, browser keeps tabs on you.
Mord wrote:Chromatic Wolves are massively under-CRed. Its "Dood to stone" spell-like is a TPK waiting to happen if you run into it before anyone in the party has Dance of Sack or Shield of Farts.
K
King

Post by K »

The design docs and press releases for the Everquest reboot look interesting.

They are saying it's voxel-based like Minecraft and is going to not do all the things you hate about MMOs. That sounds good because I don't think I'll ever be interested again in the whole grinding for levels/loot, best loot only for the Ponzi-schemers and 40/hour a week gamers, and designed obsolescence of gear so that you always need to do the next event to get gear to stay on the curve. If it's just minigames that are fun on their own merits in a social atmosphere, I'd get into that.

We'll see if they can pull if off.
Last edited by K on Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:28 am, edited 2 times in total.