The inevitable 'get a wish from jerkface genies' thread.

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

I've always wanted to know where the trope of "dickhole genie who maliciously fucks over people's wishes" came from in the first place.
Last edited by Shrapnel on Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

Shrapnel wrote:I've always wanted to know where the trope of "dickhole genie who maliciously fucks over people's wishes" came from in the first place.
Midas? Nanabozho?
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
JigokuBosatsu
Prince

Post by JigokuBosatsu »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tithonus

EDIT: Also, looks like some people have put some work into possible solutions.

http://homeonthestrange.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=4
Last edited by JigokuBosatsu on Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Omegonthesane wrote:a glass armonica which causes a target city to have horrific nightmares that prevent sleep
JigokuBosatsu wrote:so a regular glass armonica?
You can buy my books, yes you can. Out of print and retired, sorry.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

A lot of wish stories are lessons about the limits of legalism. That sort of thing goes back at least as far as the story of Eos and Tithonus (eternal life without eternal youth), and earlier variants are probably about as old as the concept of legalism itself.

Wish stories probably aren't strongly associated with genies until after Burton publishes the One Thousand and One Nights, and genies become the popular wish granters in western imagination, replacing the less-interesting talking fish and tree spirits of the Celtic tradition (where 3-wish stories are a lot more common).
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

The other major theme of wish stories is, basically, "You don't actually want that thing you can't have. It would suck." Hence the tradition of the three-wish set where the last one is undoing the other two.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

So, Monkey's Paw, and all that, then?
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

JigokuBosatsu wrote:
SCP-738 wrote:Test 7: Sheldon Katz, Esq., senior counsel with the Foundation's legal department.
Result: At commencement of test, Mr. Katz presented the entity with a notarized, apostilled affidavit stating that he was participating in the test on his own behalf and not as agent for the Foundation. Approximately forty-one hours after the commencement of the test, Mr. Katz lapsed into unconsciousness due to exhaustion. Mr. Katz described the appearance of the entity as identical to his first-year contracts professor from law school, but he declined to describe the nature of the offer that had been made. He reported that just prior to his blacking out, he had been in the midst of negotiating a precise technical definition of the word "shall". Katz stated that the current working draft of the agreement that he and the entity had been drafting was at least nine hundred pages long at that moment, exclusive of exhibits and schedules, and that he regretted not keeping a copy for his form file. A red leather envelope, smelling of sulphur, was found on Mr. Katz's person, which contained a handwritten note reading "Please come back any time. I haven't had so much fun in years." Mr. Katz has requested reassignment.
If there were an airtight proof of the existence of a diabolic figure who was willing to grant wishes, I'd go to law school just so I could do this. I think I'd have just as much fun as him.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

Shrapnel wrote:I've always wanted to know where the trope of "dickhole genie who maliciously fucks over people's wishes" came from in the first place.
when Mike Meral's designed 4th to give all those people exactly what they wanted and then they weren't enough to make cashflow so that the game remained alive longer than 2 years.

wait... let me reread the question.... yup basically the same thing. the idea that what you think you want most, when you get it, does not always make you happy.

"money can't buy happiness"

and those sorts of things.

also there is the test of morals concept.

this happens with more than genie, but even leprechauns too. basically any place you can obtain something freely. probably really has some religious connection to it a well.

there is also things like Pygmalion's Galatea, Deathly Hallows twistedness as told by their story. lots of places where the moral comes into play.

in most cases it is taking power from a god for mortal and having consequences for having done so. like the body mortal cannot survive from using it, etc.
Play the game, not the rules.
Swordslinger wrote:Or fuck it... I'm just going to get weapon specialization in my cock and whip people to death with it. Given all the enemies are total pussies, it seems like the appropriate thing to do.
Lewis Black wrote:If the people of New Zealand want to be part of our world, I believe they should hop off their islands, and push 'em closer.
good read (Note to self Maxus sucks a barrel of cocks.)
Thymos
Knight

Post by Thymos »

Just ask for this wish and see what happens.

"I wish that this sentence is false."
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Thymos wrote:Just ask for this wish and see what happens.

"I wish that this sentence is false."
"The efreet thinks for a moment, tilts his head one way, then the other, then looks down at you, flips you off, makes a lewd gesture along the lines of "suck it, douche bag," and disappears."
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

Alternately, reality forks into two versions, one in which you wish that the sentence is false and the other in which you do not.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
Vebyast
Knight-Baron

Post by Vebyast »

Ah, the fine art of abusing formal systems by constructing Gödel Sentences.
DSMatticus wrote:There are two things you can learn from the Gaming Den:
1) Good design practices.
2) How to be a zookeeper for hyper-intelligent shit-flinging apes.
Desdan_Mervolam
Knight-Baron

Post by Desdan_Mervolam »

Really, if you have a DM who is intent on fucking over your wishes no matter what, to the point where a wish of "I wish for a delicious sandwich" is answered with "You eat the most delicious sandwich you have ever tasted, your life is greater for it. Too bad you didn't taste the deadly magical poison on the sandwich that kills you three agonizing hours later", then you are better off not making the wish. File the item that grants the wish away on your sheet or politely thank the entity offering the wish and get stepping.

Come to think of it, if you have a GM who so enjoys pettily distorting wishes no matter how innocuous, you might want to evaluate your GM's behavior on other fronts as well. I mean, if that's the only thing where they relish being a dick it's a fairly harmless dick-being area, but if this indicates a larger trend of dickishness, you might consider stepping in real life.
Don't bother trying to impress gamers. They're too busy trying to impress you to care.
Dogbert
Duke

Re: The inevitable 'get a wish from jerkface genies' thread.

Post by Dogbert »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:1.) Most importantly, is there any way to avoid the whole 'oh, in some ancient language in another dimensional timeline, your wish really means this' problem? If there isn't, then assume that there's some unbreakable law that makes this so.

Sadly, that one is nothing but mythologically accurate (at least, as long as the genie in question is an Ifrit and not a Marid). Unfortunately, DnD doesn't care for Muslim folklore so telling MC "I summon a Marid to get my wish so you can't try to shaft me" is meaningless.

Other than that, the only two things that comes to my mind are:

1) Sense Motive vs Bluff to represent your character's hold on legalese as, for all intents and purposes, you're striking a deal with the devil.

2) Redact your wish and run it by a RL lawyer.
ishy
Duke

Post by ishy »

3) My character is smart enough/takes enough time to make the wish in some perfect way that I'm not/willing to do.
Gary Gygax wrote:The player’s path to role-playing mastery begins with a thorough understanding of the rules of the game
Bigode wrote:I wouldn't normally make that blanket of a suggestion, but you seem to deserve it: scroll through the entire forum, read anything that looks interesting in term of design experience, then come back.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

If the genie is not supernaturally perceptive and hyper-knowledgable, you can try a Brer Rabbit solution: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0y5dHmVRIc