It's Personal...

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

PoliteNewb
Duke

Post by PoliteNewb »

Kaelik: I said flat-out I'm not going to take everyone's advice, because all situations are different. It didn't help that you said some very harsh and absolute statements, that I don't feel reflect reality. Just because you ended up hating your ex (or your parents did, or whatever you are basing that statement on) does not make it an inevitability for all divorced couples. I know at least 2 divorced couples who are still on very good terms.
You could (and probably will) just say "well, they may not yet, but eventually they will hate each other". But as that's a No True Scotsman approach, I'm going to ignore it.
Cynic wrote:I don't at all dispute that you and your ex-partner can maintain an amicable relationship for the rest of your life. But there will be times that you might differ on how to raise your kids. Having them in two different homes makes it harder to reconcile these differences.
This is absolutely true, and I don't deny it. It's also not what Kaelik said.

I know co-parenting is bound to be difficult, but it's not like regular parenting is a walk in the park without disagreements, or that being married grants any miraculous power to get along. I do work for child support; I literally look at parenting agreements and divorce orders every day. A lot of those issues can be helped by being very clear about things ahead of time. Does that mean there won't still be conflicts? Of course not. And I realize that just because you have a piece of paper that says one thing doesn't mean that trying to make reality reflect that is simple or easy.

I guess my main point is...yes, there will be someone raising my kids (at least part of the time) who isn't me, and who doesn't answer to me. But that was always true. I didn't have some magic control over my wife...honestly, if one spouse does have control over the other, that seems like a pretty unhealthy relationship to me. My wife will be just as answerable as she ever was, and vice versa. And we'll have to compromise...but we've got 12 years of experience doing that. I have no doubts it will be more difficult once we're separated...but I'll be honest and say that it helps that I don't have a lot of hangups about how the kids should be raised (as far as discipline, religion, education, etc). As long as they're safe and happy, I'm fine with my wife raising them however (and if they're not safe and happy, that's why we have family courts).

If she remarries...I'd like to hope she wouldn't marry a complete asshole. I realize it's a possibility that I will have difficulties with that. But it's a long stretch from that to "you will end up hating each other".
sabs wrote:It really depends on how sane and stable your ex-wife is, and how sane and stable any new person in her life ends up being.

My ex-wife is of dubious emotional stability.. so it's been rough.
I'm sorry to hear that (about your ex), and best wishes for your ongoing situation.
I think my wife has an okay head on her shoulders...she's certainly not a nutbar or an emotional wreck. She's as sane or stable as most people I know (for what that's worth). Fortunately neither of us have any drink/drug problems, or serious psychiatric problems.
shau wrote:If your relationship ever stops being amicable, its not acceptable to talk shit about your ex in front of your kids. I am not saying you will, but my parents did, and it was damaging.
Yeah, a lot of divorce orders actually require that (you are not allowed to shit-talk your ex, and doing so is a violation of the agreement); it's not something I would do anyway. I would like to think she wouldn't either; she has told me that she thinks I'm a great guy and a good father; we're still friends, and we do pretty good as parents (I like to think), we're just not making it work as husband/wife.
whipstitch wrote:My parents went through a version of what Kaelik is describing and while I think I think hate is a really strong word I do think that realistically one of you will almost certainly end up feeling like a backseat driver when it comes to parenting the kids and how you handle subsequent resentment will determine a lot. Hell, that often happens even with couples that remain married.
Could be so...I think "almost certainly" is a stretch, but I'll try to be prepared for the possibility. Again, I'm not a control freak, so hopefully even if that does happen, we can stay on good terms.
And yeah, that does happen with married couples as well. It's part of makes me hope that because it didn't happen with us, divorce won't cause it to happen.
I am judging the philosophies and decisions you have presented in this thread. The ones I have seen look bad, and also appear to be the fruit of a poisonous tree that has produced only madness and will continue to produce only madness.

--AngelFromAnotherPin

believe in one hand and shit in the other and see which ones fills up quicker. it will be the one you are full of, shit.

--Shadzar
Meikle641
Duke

Post by Meikle641 »

So, if you're planning to have joint custody and are apparently going to keep your house, why would you have to pay child support? I was under the impression that child support was only awarded when one parent has primary custody.
Official Discord: https://discord.gg/ZUc77F7
Twitter: @HrtBrkrPress
FB Page: htttp://facebook.com/HrtBrkrPress
My store page: https://heartbreaker-press.myshopify.co ... ctions/all
Book store: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/ ... aker-Press
PoliteNewb
Duke

Post by PoliteNewb »

Meikle641 wrote:So, if you're planning to have joint custody and are apparently going to keep your house, why would you have to pay child support? I was under the impression that child support was only awarded when one parent has primary custody.
In Alaska, child support is mandatory for any divorce involving children; you cannot voluntarily waive it. If there is sole or primary custody, it's usually paid by the non-custodial partner to the custodian (though it may be token, depending on the income of the NCP).

For shared custody (which is defined as each party having custody at least 30% of the time), they do support calculations for BOTH parties (based on each one's income and percentage of time they have the kids) and then do an offset, so the one who owes more pays the difference. It's complicated, but also pretty fair.

My wife has been a homemaker for the past decade, with only occasional part-time jobs (daycare, for instance). She is going back to school and will need to get a job, but her income is going to be less than mine for some time...so I expect that I will be continuing to support the kids for some time. I will probably also pay spousal support for a couple years, to help her get back on her feet.
Last edited by PoliteNewb on Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am judging the philosophies and decisions you have presented in this thread. The ones I have seen look bad, and also appear to be the fruit of a poisonous tree that has produced only madness and will continue to produce only madness.

--AngelFromAnotherPin

believe in one hand and shit in the other and see which ones fills up quicker. it will be the one you are full of, shit.

--Shadzar
Blasted
Knight-Baron

Post by Blasted »

I'm currently going through the process where we are trying to remain on good terms, but it's very difficult. It's become worse as other partners enter the scene and child care arrangements are harangued over. Also, in spite of most of our property being divided up, we still occasionally had arguments, until I calculated that the cost of the lawyer was going to be more than giving up the remaining stuff and taking on all the debt (not much). So I gave up.
Remaining friends sounds easy, but in practice can be very difficult.
sabs
Duke

Post by sabs »

Amen. I would not cry if I I could still talk to my kids without ever having to talk to my exwife ever again.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Blasted wrote:I'm currently going through the process where we are trying to remain on good terms, but it's very difficult. It's become worse as other partners enter the scene and child care arrangements are harangued over. Also, in spite of most of our property being divided up, we still occasionally had arguments, until I calculated that the cost of the lawyer was going to be more than giving up the remaining stuff and taking on all the debt (not much). So I gave up.
sabs wrote:Amen. I would not cry if I I could still talk to my kids without ever having to talk to my exwife ever again.
You assholes, how dare you, you should be on ignore!
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
PoliteNewb
Duke

Post by PoliteNewb »

Blasted wrote:I'm currently going through the process where we are trying to remain on good terms, but it's very difficult. It's become worse as other partners enter the scene and child care arrangements are harangued over. Also, in spite of most of our property being divided up, we still occasionally had arguments, until I calculated that the cost of the lawyer was going to be more than giving up the remaining stuff and taking on all the debt (not much). So I gave up.
Well...I didn't figure it would be a picnic, and I'm certainly not going to say "my ex-wife and I will be besties 4EVER!". I just don't feel it's destined to end in hatred, and I don't see how pessimism is going to help any.

Yeah, I hear you completely on the cost analysis issue...as long as I keep the house and a car, I'm willing to pretty much give my wife whatever she wants. We don't own a lot of valuable property anyway, and our savings are pretty much nil.

Good luck on working things out. Looking back at your experience, is there anything you wish you'd done differently? Did you have a lawyer for the initial divorce (either of you, or a joint attorney)? Was it no-fault?

Sabs, same questions...if there's any insights in particular that you could share, I'm interested.

Both of you can tell me to piss off if I'm prying too much, just trying to get an idea of the process from someone who's been there.

Also, to sabs...I'm not at that stage, and I hope I never get there. I genuinely like talking with my wife most of the time. But that's not enough to keep us together as a couple.

--AngelFromAnotherPin

--Shadzar
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

PoliteNewb wrote:and I don't see how pessimism is going to help any.
Being realistic about the problems that are going to come up allows you to prepare for them.
PoliteNewb wrote:Looking back at your experience, is there anything you wish you'd done differently? Did you have a lawyer for the initial divorce (either of you, or a joint attorney)? Was it no-fault?
Get a mediator at the very beginning. Even if your state requires mediation at the end, get one sooner. Nothing helps divorces work out better. I say this as a mediator, so take it with a grain of salt if you want.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Blasted
Knight-Baron

Post by Blasted »

Looking back at your experience, is there anything you wish you'd done differently? Did you have a lawyer for the initial divorce (either of you, or a joint attorney)? Was it no-fault?
I'm from Oz, where we need to be 'separated' for a year before divorce. So no lawyers have been involved at all. We've had a mediator for the kids issues, which has gone reasonably well, however my ex keeps changing her mind about things she's agreed to. I should have called her out on that earlier, because it messed everyone around.

It was (will be) no fault, but we only have no fault divorce. The current opposition leader, who seems destined to be prime minister has a crazy plan to reintroduce at fault divorces. But that's nuts. Even though if it were an option I could go down that route, I wouldn't anyway as it drags everyone through the mud.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Shrapnel wrote:Ho... ly... FUCK. WANT!

And they're releasing a fucking BLITZWING figure! And METROPLEX (again)! AND JUST HOLY FUCK THIS IS THE BEST FUCKING THING THAT HAS EVER HAPPEND IN THE HISTORY OF EVER.

I think I just came.

Thank you, Prak. You have given me reason to live once more.

edit: Wait, I just noticed the other figures they're releasing... Stealth Bomber Megatron, Springer, Trailcutter*, Orion Pax, Bumblebee... They're all the IDW versions!! FUCKING SWEET!

*It's actually Trailbreaker, but the changed it to "-cutter" due to legal reasons. At least they didn't name him "Trailblaster"

Last edit, I swear!

This image came to mind when I saw the toy:

The prospect of free stickers brings Metroplex to life, and the Quintessons are none too happy about it.
In keeping with the theme of tempting Shrapnel with expensive giant tranniessformers that he will have a hard time obtaining:
2'+ Metroplex SDCC exclusive
Last edited by Prak on Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Does it still transform at that size, or is it just the robot?
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Looking at the lower legs, I think it still transforms.

Here we go, This says it transforms, but doesn't show pics

Also, it seems that Hasbro is increasing the size of the con exclusive bot, 2"/con. Even assuming only two cons/year (Toyfair and Comic Con), if this continues, the exclusive con bot will be 6' tall in 12 years.
Last edited by Prak on Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

OK, now for something that would rival Metroplex in Terms of Size:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godzilla_(2014_film)
Yes, the big green G-Man is making a comeback!

mind. blown.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Huh, I didn't realize it was a new American Godzilla production. I actually liked the first American 'Zilla, the monster, anyway. I liked the movie when it came out and I was 11, but, well, kids are dumb.

Should be interesting to see how this one turns out. Hopefully it doesn't stupidly polarize the fan base like last time. ...also hopefully they don't treat it as a comedy that just happens to have a bunch of destruction.

Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

looks like it will be made into something big O.o
merchandising production started one year in advance.
bandai is making a complete new toy series o.O
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Maxus
Overlord

Post by Maxus »

Here's the new model, supposedly:

Looks like he's bulked up a bit.

Other pictures and info here
Last edited by Maxus on Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He jumps like a damned dragoon, and charges into battle fighting rather insane monsters with little more than his bare hands and rather nasty spell effects conjured up solely through knowledge and the local plantlife. He unerringly knows where his goal lies, he breathes underwater and is untroubled by space travel, seems to have no limits to his actual endurance and favors killing his enemies by driving both boots square into their skull. His agility is unmatched, and his strength legendary, able to fling about a turtle shell big enough to contain a man with enough force to barrel down a near endless path of unfortunates.

--The horror of Mario

Zak S, Zak Smith, Dndwithpornstars, Zak Sabbath. He is a terrible person and a hack at writing and art. His cultural contributions are less than Justin Bieber's, and he's a shitmuffin. Go go gadget Googlebomb!
Meikle641
Duke

Post by Meikle641 »

So, turns out I do have sleep apnea, but mild. Getting a loaner machine today, I guess. I'll be using it for a month, then I report to the clinic and tell them how I feel. Hopefully 100% better, but holy shit was my first night with one awful.
Official Discord: https://discord.gg/ZUc77F7
Twitter: @HrtBrkrPress
FB Page: htttp://facebook.com/HrtBrkrPress
My store page: https://heartbreaker-press.myshopify.co ... ctions/all
Book store: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/ ... aker-Press
Korgan0
Duke

Post by Korgan0 »

So, after struggling with clinical depression since my early childhood, I finally sought medical treatment after it started interfering with my schoolwork, and I think it's working so far. I'm thinking far less about suicide, feel much happer, and my anxiety has become much better. My one problem is that I'm really not sure what it's going to be like to live without depression, and I'm not sure what's going to happen.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Hopefully Happiness?
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Agreed with Stahlseele; I hope things keep getting better for you Korgan.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

Prak_Anima wrote:
Shrapnel wrote:Ho... ly... FUCK. WANT!

And they're releasing a fucking BLITZWING figure! And METROPLEX (again)! AND JUST HOLY FUCK THIS IS THE BEST FUCKING THING THAT HAS EVER HAPPEND IN THE HISTORY OF EVER.

I think I just came.

Thank you, Prak. You have given me reason to live once more.

edit: Wait, I just noticed the other figures they're releasing... Stealth Bomber Megatron, Springer, Trailcutter*, Orion Pax, Bumblebee... They're all the IDW versions!! FUCKING SWEET!

*It's actually Trailbreaker, but the changed it to "-cutter" due to legal reasons. At least they didn't name him "Trailblaster"

Last edit, I swear!

This image came to mind when I saw the toy:

The prospect of free stickers brings Metroplex to life, and the Quintessons are none too happy about it.
In keeping with the theme of tempting Shrapnel with expensive giant tranniessformers that he will have a hard time obtaining:
2'+ Metroplex SDCC exclusive
ASSHOLE!

And this just after I've seen that Toys'R'Us is not selling Masterpiece Soundwave in stores, that Blacker goes for fucking $589, and that in general I can't ever afford anything from the Victory toyline! ARRGGHH!

On the other hand claw: MY LIFE FINALLY HAS MEANING
Last edited by Shrapnel on Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

So start saving up for that 2025 6' con exclusive.

koz
Duke

Post by koz »

Korgan0 wrote:So, after struggling with clinical depression since my early childhood, I finally sought medical treatment after it started interfering with my schoolwork, and I think it's working so far. I'm thinking far less about suicide, feel much happer, and my anxiety has become much better. My one problem is that I'm really not sure what it's going to be like to live without depression, and I'm not sure what's going to happen.
Having been in the same position as you until fairly recently, I can safely say that life will get much better for you without depression. You'll never quite kick it, but you'll have a much happier, more productive and more pleasant life for it. Good on ya!
Everything I learned about DnD, I learned from Frank Trollman.
Kaelik wrote:You are so full of Strawmen that I can only assume you actually shit actual straw.
souran wrote:...uber, nerd-rage-inducing, minutia-devoted, pointless blithering shit.
Schwarzkopf wrote:The Den, your one-stop shop for in-depth analysis of Dungeons & Dragons and distressingly credible threats of oral rape.
DSM wrote:Apparently, The GM's Going To Punch You in Your Goddamned Face edition of D&D is getting more traction than I expected. Well, it beats playing 4th. Probably 5th, too.
Frank Trollman wrote:Giving someone a mouth full of cock is a standard action.
PoliteNewb wrote:If size means anything, it's what position you have to get in to give a BJ.
Maxus
Overlord

Post by Maxus »

Guess who's back on his own internet capable computer!

With many thanks to Frank and Stahlsteele. Stahsteele's efforts are very much appreciated, and that page Frank linked to had everything very helpfully sorted and dated. I know this computer was bought in April of 2010, so that made picking out appropriate drivers much easier.

Seriously, you guys were sanity savers.
He jumps like a damned dragoon, and charges into battle fighting rather insane monsters with little more than his bare hands and rather nasty spell effects conjured up solely through knowledge and the local plantlife. He unerringly knows where his goal lies, he breathes underwater and is untroubled by space travel, seems to have no limits to his actual endurance and favors killing his enemies by driving both boots square into their skull. His agility is unmatched, and his strength legendary, able to fling about a turtle shell big enough to contain a man with enough force to barrel down a near endless path of unfortunates.

--The horror of Mario

Zak S, Zak Smith, Dndwithpornstars, Zak Sabbath. He is a terrible person and a hack at writing and art. His cultural contributions are less than Justin Bieber's, and he's a shitmuffin. Go go gadget Googlebomb!
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

Hornet stings hurt.

Hornet flew into the kitchen, "knowing" that it would scare the womenfolk and being all manly , I decided to take it out with a couple of wadded up paper towels. I got the bastard but he decided to fuck my thumb up before he died.

My hand hurts, itches and is vaguely warm.
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.