Of Bears and Barons (3 of 3 -- D&D is worse than AW)

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Wrathzog
Knight-Baron

Post by Wrathzog »

Drolyt wrote:Stuff...
Adjudication may have been is definitely the wrong word. I just like to use it.

So, if the real issue here is about Player Agency, then the Dungeon Master Role is definitely the problem.
Orion wrote:You should acknowledge that using MTP detracts from player empowerment. You should remember that the more MTP you put in your game, the more the table will be at the mercy of the MC's performance skills and aesthetic judgment.
Like this is what I'm talking about. If we're talking about Player Empowerment, then the issue isn't that MTP sucks. It's that it falls on ONE PERSON to figure out how to make MTP not suck (and it's way easier to suck than not suck).

That's a Single Point of Failure and that seems really Risky.
PSY DUCK?
ishy
Duke

Post by ishy »

Orion wrote:@Ishy -- I was using "hard choice" as a shorthand for "hard choice or worse outcome." The point is that there's a mechanic-- roll 2d6+Cool -- and that die roll can spit out results A, B, or C. The problem isn't in that process -- when you roll an 8, everyone knows you got a "B." The problem is that "B" is weakly associated with the fiction.
No. If that was the case I probably wouldn't have mentioned it.
When asked to give an example of how the game runs, the author made 4 posts.

In post 1, the die result was B, the author described the Fiction as if it was result B.
In post 2, the die result was B, the author described the Fiction as if it was result C.
In post 3, the die result was B, the author described the Fiction as if it was result A.
In post 4, the author explained that he might hand out bonuses if he feels like it because the rules don't say that you can't.

What I can't stand about this game in every single example given by the author the dice roll doesn't mean anything at all.
If you ignore those examples, the game might work though. But for me, I tune out there.
Last edited by ishy on Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary Gygax wrote:The player’s path to role-playing mastery begins with a thorough understanding of the rules of the game
Bigode wrote:I wouldn't normally make that blanket of a suggestion, but you seem to deserve it: scroll through the entire forum, read anything that looks interesting in term of design experience, then come back.
silva
Duke

Post by silva »

Orion wrote:OF BEARS AND BARONS CONT REDUX

snip
Agreed. Thats a good description of AW kind of player enpowerment.

I wonder if the folks around here struggling to get AW dont actually have a problem with conflict-resolution and shared-narrative mechanics. Because thats exactly what AW is. Having played/read games like Dogs in the Vineyard, Mountain Witch, Houses of the Blooded, Dread, etc, I found AW resolution pretty easy to grok, really.
Last edited by silva on Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:18 am, edited 6 times in total.