What's an Ouya?
7%

Total votes: 15

Leress
Prince

Ouya - The 4th Console

Post by Leress »

http://www.ouya.tv/

A Kickstarter project, this came to public markets about 3 days ago. It is a 99 dollar console that runs on Android. It is also open and it launched with over 195 games (nearly all were just ports).

I personally think this won't really do all that well since there really doesn't seem to have any first party titles, also it is marketed to a very niche audience and it doesn't really do anything that something that is already available doesn't already do better.

Early reports from backers said the controller had an annoying d-pad and the touch screen was overly sensitive.
Last edited by Leress on Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

The games list does not look terribly interesting to me.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

To me the biggest advantage would be having something cheap that runs Android games but is easy to monitor, which could be nice if I had kids. I don't though, so whatever.
bears fall, everyone dies
Vebyast
Knight-Baron

Post by Vebyast »

DSMatticus wrote:There are two things you can learn from the Gaming Den:
1) Good design practices.
2) How to be a zookeeper for hyper-intelligent shit-flinging apes.
John Magnum
Knight-Baron

Post by John Magnum »

I use my PC for gaming, and hook my consoles up to its monitor. I don't have a dedicated huge TV to play from a couch. So I don't really care that much about couch ports of cell phone games, and I already have a million ways to pirate old games if I want to bother to do so.

It can probably serve its niche pretty well, but it's a niche I don't happen to be in.
-JM
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

It's the price difference between a PS4 and XbOne

Though I'm just gonna get a Wii-U and PS4 and a laptop that can emulate stuff.

But I want the Ouya to do well, its good for low resource developers to release their shit
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

ashens' review of the Ouya.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vf_jmGaanuY

Honestly, it looks pretty mediocre. The hardware and graphics are acceptable for that targeted price point... but only if you don't already have a decent computer and don't plan to get one anytime soon.

The Penny Arcade comic was dead-on, too. If you just want a gaming console, why not just purchase a used smartphone from somewhere and play games on it without getting phone service?
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

I backed out of the campaign when they asked 40% more to get it in another color. They asked for $950k and got $8.5M. That'd have been enough to make nine color options independently. Disgusting cash grab is disgusting cash grab.