Kickstarter Project: Rhythos RPG Builder

Discussions and debates about video games

Moderator: Moderators

Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Kickstarter Project: Rhythos RPG Builder

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

Saw this on indiegames.com, and it is looking kind of interesting. I play RPGmaker games sometimes, and the prospect of something with built-in support for a more engaging battle system and equipment that shows up on the characters using it is kinda neat. Plus, allegedly gonna be freeware when it actually comes out.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dav ... pg-builder
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

This Kickstarter is overpromising -- I'm skeptical of a dude with a masters in CS and several completed projects to his name who apparently values his full time (potentially overtime) work at a mere $2,000 (gross not net) a month.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
davidmaletz
NPC

Post by davidmaletz »

It will be less than $2,000 a month if you consider kickstarter fees and backer rewards. The fact is, I'm not doing this for the money - it's something I WANT to do. This is not a job, I don't expect to get rich off of it. The kickstarter is there for me to have enough money to live while I work on it full-time and to build a community. If you look at my games, you'll notice that they're all free as well with no ads, I haven't made a penny on them (except for Drawscape which got sponsored).

You can call me crazy or a hobbyist if you wish, but at the end of the day, I'd prefer doing what I love and making next to nothing than hating what I do every day (even if it paid more). I think a lot of indie game developers are like me, and are overskilled and underpaid, but that's the price we pay if we want to do what we love.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

The main reason I'm on the fence about backing this project is that I'm worried it might be inflexible compared to a more generic set of RPG dev tools. Can Rhythos handle games where you fight more than one enemy at once? Will every player character end up playing in the same general fashion?

It's possible to make sophisticated classes in RPGmaker with a variety of different resource mechanics. Will Rhythos approach the same level of versatility?
davidmaletz
NPC

Post by davidmaletz »

I'm planning (and working) on making Rhythos a lot more flexible than Rhythos Arcade BETA (which was just the battle system). It will support a lot of customization options, from weapon type options, skill learning options, breaking both weapons and skills into classes, and appearance options (managing the different layers & equipment of the characters). You will be able to import your own sprites as well (but you will need to find equipment layers to match the new sprites if you want to change the character's appearance when the player changes equipment).

The action battle system only supports one enemy at a time (I'd have to think about how a targeting system could work with the twitch-based battles to support multiple enemies). However Rhythos is also being designed with a Plugin API that will make it easy to integrate new features and battle systems right into the editor (populating new stats and database types as needed). This means battle systems and features can be added/edited to make Rhythos more flexible. I plan to continue adding plugins in my spare time after the project is "released," with a CTB (turn based) battle system at the top of my list due to popular demand.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Hmm. Well, I'm certainly interested. I'd love to work with something simple enough I could sprite new enemies but complex enough to have an actively engaging combat engine. I've had lots of fun designing Neverwinter Nights scenarios, but this seems like it would let me share stuff without worrying about whether people have the software to run it.

In a couple weeks, I'll have much more free time to check out some of the other stuff you've made. It's a good thing this campaign still has a ways to go before it ends.
Last edited by Avoraciopoctules on Wed May 29, 2013 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
davidmaletz
NPC

Post by davidmaletz »

That's the plan - simple to get into and easy enough for anyone to make a game, but with a lot of complexity and flexibility for those who want to experiment! Let me know if you have any questions.