1 on 1 Adventures #11: Unbound Adventures

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Dragon Instincts
1st Level

1 on 1 Adventures #11: Unbound Adventures

Post by Dragon Instincts »

I just found this and my curiosity told me to pick it up.
Apparantly it's a guideline to create random HnS dungeons, which can be played without a DM.

Has anybody tried this? I really wonder how well this works.
I mean, random tables are nothing new to me. But we never randomized everything and everyone without any DM oversight at all.
Drolyt
Knight

Re: 1 on 1 Adventures #11: Unbound Adventures

Post by Drolyt »

Dragon Instincts wrote:I just found this and my curiosity told me to pick it up.
Apparantly it's a guideline to create random HnS dungeons, which can be played without a DM.

Has anybody tried this? I really wonder how well this works.
I mean, random tables are nothing new to me. But we never randomized everything and everyone without any DM oversight at all.
So is this more "Diablo without a computer" or "Choose Your Own Adventure with character customization"? It sounds interesting anyways.
NineInchNall
Duke

Post by NineInchNall »

I was thinking of doing something similar, using a combination of random tables and "secrets of destiny" from Weapons of the Gods.
Current pet peeves:
Misuse of "per se". It means "[in] itself", not "precisely". Learn English.
Malformed singular possessives. It's almost always supposed to be 's.
Heath Robinson
Knight

Re: 1 on 1 Adventures #11: Unbound Adventures

Post by Heath Robinson »

Drolyt wrote:So is this more "Diablo without a computer" or "Choose Your Own Adventure with character customization"? It sounds interesting anyways.
I have purchased and read some of it. It's the former rather than the latter. I like the idea of adapting it to generate missions for Shadowrun, though I suspect a lot of hacking would be necessary.
Face it. Today will be as bad a day as any other.
Juton
Duke

Post by Juton »

I'm not sure why anyone would need this. Can't you just run an pre-made adventure for yourself without reading it first?
Oh thank God, finally a thread about how Fighters in D&D suck. This was a long time coming. - Schwarzkopf
Drolyt
Knight

Post by Drolyt »

Juton wrote:I'm not sure why anyone would need this. Can't you just run an pre-made adventure for yourself without reading it first?
Depends on how it was written.
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

Juton wrote:I'm not sure why anyone would need this. Can't you just run an pre-made adventure for yourself without reading it first?
That would work once, I suppose. But the appeal of using a random dungeon maker is that it should be usable over and over again, in theory.

A while back I bought Dungeon Bash out of curiosity, and I think it's supposed to fill sort of the same niche (solo dungeon crawling using a random dungeon maker).
Midnight_v
Knight-Baron

Post by Midnight_v »

Sounds fun, but damn... sounds like people are pretty damn desperate for dm's somwhere.
Don't hate the world you see, create the world you want....
Dear Midnight, you have actually made me sad. I took a day off of posting yesterday because of actual sadness you made me feel in my heart for you.
...If only you'd have stopped forever...
NineInchNall
Duke

Post by NineInchNall »

I hate the whole idea of the DM/GM/MC/Storyteller.

If you're doing a "cooperative storytelling" thing, then you should go all in on that and let everyone cooperate equally to tell the story. There's really no need for a asymmetric information/power in accomplishing that goal.
Last edited by NineInchNall on Mon May 27, 2013 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current pet peeves:
Misuse of "per se". It means "[in] itself", not "precisely". Learn English.
Malformed singular possessives. It's almost always supposed to be 's.
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

Midnight_v wrote:Sounds fun, but damn... sounds like people are pretty damn desperate for dm's somwhere.
I don't feel particularly desperate for liking single-player games in addition to multi-player games. They both have their own attractions.