Action Economy Question

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Chamomile
Prince

Action Economy Question

Post by Chamomile »

I have a rules question for my ongoing 3.X homebrewing efforts. In Star Wars Saga Edition, the rule is that a move action can be used to perform a swift action, and a standard action can be used to perform a move or swift action. Is this already the case in 3.5, or do I have to officially add that into the house rules?
Whatever
Prince

Post by Whatever »

Standards can be used as Moves, but you can't trade in for Swifts. I wouldn't recommend that as a house rule, either, because it lets casters get more quickened spells in.
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

With the house rules I've got right now, that's more of a feature than a bug. I can probably get by with standards being usable as moves, though, and there's something to be said for making fewer changes rather than more. Though I think I may be approaching the line where I'm honestly making a new edition, so it might be wise to just go all-in on that.
Antariuk
Knight

Post by Antariuk »

I have never heard that you could trade standard/move actions for swift actions, that must be something from SWSE. I've never played that system, did they introduce new things you can do as a swift action?

In the SRD its like this:

SRD wrote: Swift Actions

A swift action consumes a very small amount of time, but represents a larger expenditure of effort and energy than a free action. You can perform one swift action per turn without affecting your ability to perform other actions. In that regard, a swift action is like a free action. However, you can perform only a single swift action per turn, regardless of what other actions you take. You can take a swift action any time you would normally be allowed to take a free action. Swift actions usually involve spellcasting or the activation of magic items; many characters (especially those who don't cast spells) never have an opportunity to take a swift action.

Casting a quickened spell is a swift action. In addition, casting any spell with a casting time of 1 swift action is a swift action.

Casting a spell with a casting time of 1 swift action does not provoke attacks of opportunity.
"No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style." - Steven Brust
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

SWSE has a lot of things that require multiple swift actions. The idea is that you can build them up over a few rounds or sacrifice your move/standard action to get them immediately. For example you can shrug off a condition with three swift actions, and aim to remove cover penalties for two.
ishy
Duke

Post by ishy »

I would advise against it. Having multiple swift & mostly immediate actions and their interaction is annoying in play.
Gary Gygax wrote:The player’s path to role-playing mastery begins with a thorough understanding of the rules of the game
Bigode wrote:I wouldn't normally make that blanket of a suggestion, but you seem to deserve it: scroll through the entire forum, read anything that looks interesting in term of design experience, then come back.
Negative Zero
NPC

Post by Negative Zero »

IIRC there are a few D&D abilities that are 'balanced' around the idea that you can only get one swift per turn. A non-Wizards example would include the Tome Monk, which is completely nonsensical if you can spend your move action to activate a second stance.
Red_Rob
Prince

Post by Red_Rob »

Tome generally adds a whole mini action economy using Swift actions. Because you only get one each turn a bunch of Tome classes use it to limit their special schtick, and to stop you from multiclassing your way into Ultimate Powah. Fighter Combat Sense, Knight Challenge, Monk Combat styles, all these take your Swift action and are therefore self limiting. It's clever little innovations like these that really sold Tome classes to our group.
Simplified Tome Armor.

Tome item system and expanded Wish Economy rules.

Try our fantasy card game Clash of Nations! Available via Print on Demand.

“Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” - Voltaire