Annoying Questions I'd Like Answered...

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

From what I remember (and that isn't a whole lot) when I read the Bible for shits n giggles a long time ago, I think that the dude who fucked with Job was referred to simply as a devil or demon. I may be and probably am wrong, though.
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
zugschef
Knight-Baron

Post by zugschef »

Shrapnel wrote:From what I remember (and that isn't a whole lot) when I read the Bible for shits n giggles a long time ago, I think that the dude who fucked with Job was referred to simply as a devil or demon. I may be and probably am wrong, though.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satan
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

Ye gods, it's even worse that I thought!
Half asleep upon my knee
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

What's the legal status of unauthorized translations of books under copyright, for which a commercial translation does not exist on the market? Does the translator have any rights to it, or is it up for grabs? What can one do with a copy of the translation in order not to get boned by the copyright authorities?
Whatever
Prince

Post by Whatever »

Do you mean in the United States, or abroad?
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

Whatever wrote:Do you mean in the United States, or abroad?
In the United States, mostly. I want to translate an Italian book to English. There's already an atrocious animated adaptation of said book, but no straight-up English translation.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Stahlseele wrote:Well, Satanists are only evil Christians neh?
I'm pretty sure that Christians are evil Christians.

Which would be a bolder, more controversial thing to say on, say, any other forum ever.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

Koumei wrote:Which would be a bolder, more controversial thing to say on, say, any other forum ever.
There are a few places where you can get away with it.

On a semi-related note, every now and then I run into Christians who seriously feel their under attack by all these horrible minority religious groups. I found this gem on Facebook yesterday.
Talk about counting your hits and ignoring your misses mixed with special pleading. It basically invokes a No True Scotsman to defend itself, while not affording that same level of exception to everyone else.
Whatever
Prince

Post by Whatever »

I prefer the free speech version:
Whatever
Prince

Post by Whatever »

Starmaker wrote:
Whatever wrote:Do you mean in the United States, or abroad?
In the United States, mostly. I want to translate an Italian book to English. There's already an atrocious animated adaptation of said book, but no straight-up English translation.
Okay, going through the copyright act:

A translation is a "derivative work" (§101)

And § 106(2) tells us:
Subject to sections 107 through 122, the owner of copyright under this title has the exclusive rights to do and to authorize any of the following:
(2) to prepare derivative works based upon the copyrighted work;
Which means the key section is §103 (emphasis mine):
(a) The subject matter of copyright as specified by section 102 includes compilations and derivative works, but protection for a work employing preexisting material in which copyright subsists does not extend to any part of the work in which such material has been used unlawfully.

(b) The copyright in a compilation or derivative work extends only to the material contributed by the author of such work, as distinguished from the preexisting material employed in the work, and does not imply any exclusive right in the preexisting material. The copyright in such work is independent of, and does not affect or enlarge the scope, duration, ownership, or subsistence of, any copyright protection in the preexisting material.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

If you don't have a license from the copyright holder, you're generally stuck. However, copyright is a civil, not criminal, matter. What this means in practice is that you won't get in trouble with the "copyright authorities"; you only need to worry about being sued by the copyright holder. And unlike trademarks, copyrights don't disappear if not enforced, so the copyright holder can simply overlook infringement if they don't really care.

As I understand it, there's sort of an unwritten rule that unauthorized translations of works that lack official translations are fine. The actual copyright holder can demand that you cut it out and sue if you don't comply, but they generally don't because the sort of people who create unofficial translations are often their best customers for stuff they've officially translated and it's not like they're losing money. At worst they'll send you a cease-and-desist letter. Hell, fan translators have actually been hired on by importers.

Just don't try selling it for money. That can land you in serious trouble.
Last edited by name_here on Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
Ted the Flayer
Knight-Baron

Post by Ted the Flayer »

What's the type of communism where everyone is poor and the government controls everything? Like what North Korea has.
Prak Anima wrote:Um, Frank, I believe you're missing the fact that the game is glorified spank material/foreplay.
Frank Trollman wrote:I don't think that is any excuse for a game to have bad mechanics.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

Dictatorship?
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Whatever
Prince

Post by Whatever »

North Korea gave up on actual communism a while ago. By now, they're no longer even pretending to be communist. State control over everything is totalitarianism, but that term was originally coined by fascists, not communists. They're also a (hereditary) dictatorship, because the Kim family remains in charge of the state. The justification is more along racist/nationalist/xenophobic grounds than any kind of economic struggle of east v. west.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

North Korea is a theocratic absolute monarchy. Like Saudi Arabia. But with a weirder state religion that is based on ancestor worship. The "eternal president" of the republic is the ghost of the current dictator's grandfather, who rules the country as a spirit inhabiting statues of him on altars all across the country. His spiritual demands are then interpreted by the people who a more mundane analysis might accuse of actually running the country.

-Username17
Ted the Flayer
Knight-Baron

Post by Ted the Flayer »

That works. I'm writing a nation of necromantic intelligences and that would work out alright.
Prak Anima wrote:Um, Frank, I believe you're missing the fact that the game is glorified spank material/foreplay.
Frank Trollman wrote:I don't think that is any excuse for a game to have bad mechanics.
zugschef
Knight-Baron

Post by zugschef »

i'd call it a tyranny. they even call it "Democratic People's Rebublic" when in fact there is only one political party and a single person with absolute power.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Definitely call it the Democratic Republic of _____. Because those words are typically the first sign that a place is very much not. See: People's Republic of China, Democratic People's Republic of Best Korea, Democratic Republic of Congo. Can't remember if BurmaMyanmar has a prefix like that.

Still waiting to see a democratic nation called "The Fascist Junta of ___".
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

Speaking of North Korea...

Is Kim Jong Un fomenting civil war with the glorification of Pyongyang at the expense of the rest of the country? With inequality in their faces, do you think that people will begin to see through the "West/America is evil" rhetoric and start realizing it's their own government that's making them suffer? Or will the populace just lay down on the side of the street and die while female soldiers walk past in their stylish high heels?
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
Meikle641
Duke

Post by Meikle641 »

So, a couple of years ago my paternal Grandfather died. I never got to know him, which is a shame since he sounded like a saint and he and I probably would have gotten along famously. The reason for this is that my paternal grandmother is a crazy [EDITED] who has disowned my part of the family and several other branches of the tree. Most of the family capitulates to the crazy bitch, so any messages passed are done in a way that reminds me of the underground railroad.

Anyway, grandpa died. Supposedly we all got something in his will, and the will was allegedly mailed to us. We never got it and never went to any reading of it, as we had no fucking idea. So, how would I go about either finding out the estate lawyer who did that, or legally demanding a copy of it? I don't care if we were left 12 pieces of silver, I don't want her to win, especially since my grandfather wanted to reconnect with us before he died.

This is a bit late, but the subject came back to mind.

EDIT: Wait, having deja vu here. Not sure if I asked here before.
Last edited by Meikle641 on Wed May 01, 2013 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Official Discord: https://discord.gg/ZUc77F7
Twitter: @HrtBrkrPress
FB Page: htttp://facebook.com/HrtBrkrPress
My store page: https://heartbreaker-press.myshopify.co ... ctions/all
Book store: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/ ... aker-Press
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

Maj wrote:Speaking of North Korea...

Is Kim Jong Un fomenting civil war with the glorification of Pyongyang at the expense of the rest of the country?
Honestly, I kind of hope not. The gap between Pyongyang and everyone else is growing, yes, but that's just because Pyongyang's standard of living is improving, not because everyone else is getting worse. I heartily approve of Kim Jong Un's efforts to bring some prosperity to his people and hope he doesn't stop here, God knows they've suffered more than long enough.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Hmm, in Koreas case. would it not, technically, be East/America is evil? O.o
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

Koumei wrote:Still waiting to see a democratic nation called "The Fascist Junta of ___".
We have one: The Fascist Junta of Disney.
Half asleep upon my knee
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Shrapnel wrote:
Koumei wrote:Still waiting to see a democratic nation called "The Fascist Junta of ___".
We have one: The Fascist Junta of Disney.
Not democratic.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

Ted the Flayer wrote:What's the type of communism where everyone is poor and the government controls everything? Like what North Korea has.
I believe that the term you're looking for is Juche.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juche