Who the hell buys minis?

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Count Arioch the 28th
King

Who the hell buys minis?

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

Guest (Unregistered) at [unixtime wrote:1085010427[/unixtime]]Right, since teens and college kids are smart enough and poor enough to just download it all off the internet for free.

Basically, if WOTC is to survive, they need to keep pumping out quality products like the new plastic DnD miniatures. Those are the products I buy. Cheap, and a great DM's resource.

Well, you're officially the first person I've heard from that buys the ugly cheap pieces of shit. And I know pieces of shit, I am qualified to classify objects as such.

Split to own thred - fbmf
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Desdan_Mervolam
Knight-Baron

Re: Andy Collins Claims Editting Resources "thin"

Post by Desdan_Mervolam »

Count_Arioch_the_28th at [unixtime wrote:1085033536[/unixtime]]Well, you're officially the first person I've heard from that buys the ugly cheap pieces of shit. And I know pieces of shit, I am qualified to classify objects as such.

I do. I don't have the money to buy minis for all the fights I plan, or the paitence to paint all of the lead that'd require. Sure, I'm a little steamed that they decided not to release hoard-packs, but oh well. I get halfway decent minis that I can by inexpensivly, and then dump them into the bottom of a tacklebox without worrying about if they'll get damaged that way

Also, you know more of us than you think.

-Desdan
Don't bother trying to impress gamers. They're too busy trying to impress you to care.
RandomCasualty
Prince

Post by RandomCasualty »

Count_Arioch_the_28th at [unixtime wrote:1085033536[/unixtime]]
Well, you're officially the first person I've heard from that buys the ugly cheap pieces of shit. And I know pieces of shit, I am qualified to classify objects as such.

I really don't care how minis look. Actually I don't really care if they're even minis, I just want something to lay out a battle. I'm one of those people who puts down a lizard man, a minotaur and a cleric mini when the PCs are fighting 3 orcs, just becuase I'm too lazy to find 3 orcs.

As for painting my own minis, that's just unthinkable ;)

A series of numbered discs of varying sizes and colors would be perfect IMO.
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

The minis are not object de art, but simple play tools. They are:

A. Cheap. At 7.99, I get like 8 minis for the price of one lead one.

B. Durable. I can keep them in a plastic cookie jar and pour them out when I need them, and never worry about a sword breaking off or paint chipping.

C. Light. Rather than carrying a tackle box weighing 30 pounds, I can keep them in my backpack in the above mentioned plastic jar.

Downsides:

A. Not as pretty as the prettiest lead minis. So? I don’t spend a lot of time with my face on the battlemat staring in wonder at the minis. I’m here to play, man. If a single lead mini looks so good that I must have it, I can do that since I saved money when I was buying old standbys like orcs and “random adventurers.”

B. No choice. I am forced to have a varied set of guys. I don’t play stumpy demihumans(ever), and I would never plop down 7 bucks a mini to get a few to round out my collection, but with the mixed packs I actually have like 7 halfling/gnomes and 10 dwarves (and 3 kobolds!).

Other points:
A. They can be painted, and the paint actually stays on better than on a lead mini with that crap to keep the paint on(finisher? sealant? I dunno.). Nuff said.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

On a side note: K is nearly blind and pretty much has to take our word for anything more than a meter away from his own body. For him it actually doesn't matter what the figures look like. Heh.

Regardless, I paint figures very well, but I don't have unlimited time and I'm not made of money. So while I do a lot of the models, there are large holes in my collection (I don't have nearly enough wolves to do a proper pack, for example) - so the filler models come out of K's mayonaise jar (it says mayonaise on the side, I deeply hope that no cookies were ever eaten out of it).

-Username17
The_Hanged_Man
Knight-Baron

Post by The_Hanged_Man »

Yeah, I use them a lot too. A friend of mine bought about 200 of them at a WotC going out of business sale. It's nice to have an orc horde that's not a smattering of orcs, goblins, hobgoblins, and any another non-human figure I have.
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

For the record, Count, I have not actually bought any of the minis either, and I do not intend to.

Game On,
fbmf
Dragon_Snack
NPC

Re: Andy Collins, ugh...

Post by Dragon_Snack »

It's funny that this thread started from one about AC and he just got "promoted" to working on them...

My D&D mini purchases...
Harbinger: 5 cases
Dragoneye: 2 cases
Archfiends: 8 boosters (1/2 case)

They are crap. But they were cheap crap I would buy when I could sell the rares for basically what I paid for a booster (and buy another one). Now the market is either a) flooded by people dumping their rares or b) going away (did I miss the press release for 2 million minis sold?) they aren't worth it to me.

Guest (Unregistered) at [unixtime wrote:1085071638[/unixtime]]A. Cheap. At 7.99, I get like 8 minis for the price of one lead one.

Just to point out that the minis are technically MSRP $10 for 8 of them. Soon to be MSRP $13 for 8 after they shock you with an MSRP of $20 for Giants of Legend.

You can get a Reaper mini for $3, so it's not really 8 for the price of one...
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

I've bought 2 or 3 packs of each expansion so far.

They are mediocre at best, and slightly overpriced at more than twice the cost of a Homie per fig, but they are extremely durable and easy to transport, which is a big deal to me.

If Andy's now in charge of them AND the price is going up, then I'm going to stop buying them and get back to painting my backlog of unpainted Reaper figs.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

I have a plastic mini! My FLGS gave me its rogue after I spent too much money on books and a new set of pretty dice. I totally didn't understand the stats on the card that came with it, and the mini is pretty ugly. That's OK, though. Even though he's ugly, he's a great rogue - I can never find him when it's time for game.

:D

I honestly don't really see the point of buying minis... Why bother with accurate portrayals of the type of creature you're fighting in a game that's about making stuff up and pretending? Blue poker chips look just as much like orcs to me as those little minis.

;)
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Josh_Kablack at [unixtime wrote:1085140515[/unixtime]]
They are mediocre at best, and slightly overpriced at more than twice the cost of a Homie per fig, but they are extremely durable and easy to transport, which is a big deal to me.

Dang, I thought that I was the only person who used Homies when short on minis. :uptosomething:
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
User3
Prince

Re: Who the hell buys minis?

Post by User3 »

What's a "Homie?"
Count Arioch the 28th
King

They're these little plastic dudes you get out of vending machines at grocerie stores.

They're goofy, but cheaper than buying actual minis.
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Guest (Unregistered) at [unixtime wrote:1085164754[/unixtime]]What's a "Homie?"

"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Dude, your roomie /is/ a Homie, K. I figured you'd have seen these little guys around.

-Crissa