[SR4] Style Over Substance (alt.Attitude)

The homebrew forum

Moderator: Moderators

Blade
Knight-Baron

[SR4] Style Over Substance (alt.Attitude)

Post by Blade »

Hi everyone!

I was pretty disappointed by Attitude. It had a few good ideas, but it was mostly a bland book set 20 minutes in the future rather than in Shadowrun's 2070. So I did what a lot of people tell people who criticize official books to do, I wrote my own.
As I know that some Shadowrun fans who stay away from the other SR forums lurk here, I decided to post about it here as well.

It's far from complete, but I've already got a draft of the first two chapters (SINner and SINless lifestyles).
Before clicking the link, please be aware that:
- English is not my native language
- I haven't done any proofreading.
- I write it in a text editor, I've done a quick layout to make it readable but it's really rough
- I decided to keep the Jackpoint theme but since I don't really know the Shadowtalkers, Shadowtalks are mostly anonymous for now
- As it's not focused on a single place/culture it's sometimes a bit too vague and generic. I hope to fix that with a chapter (or an extra book) with examples.
- There are some sections that need a bit more work. I welcome any input you may have.

You can download it here.

I'm mostly looking for comments regarding possible breaks from established canon, forgotten important things and anything that could be interesting to add.
Comments regarding different visions of the world ("I prefer my Shadowrun with more fairies and sparkling vampires") are likely to be ignored. I agree that a good book need to accept different playstyles, but I think it also needs to a have a clear and distinct vision and direction. I'd also probably ignore rude or offensive posts. If you've got constructive criticism to make, it'll be more effective if done politely.

Have a good reading!
Last edited by Blade on Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blade
Knight-Baron

Post by Blade »

In case anyone is interested, the document has been updated with a new chapter about the Mass-market Culture. There have also been some minor changes in the first chapters, but nothing big.

The link is the same as above and the remarks are still valid.

Also, please note that:
- The "example file" that's mentioned in a few places will be an extra open to contributions from the community.
- In the sports section, the Slamm-O! text that is mentioned is the text in Attitude, that is - as far as I'm concerned, ok about what it covers and that I didn't want to bother rewriting.

Have a good read!
Blade
Knight-Baron

Post by Blade »

UPDATE

Updated with the Shadow Media chapter (and probably a few things here and there in the other chapters).
I'm not very satisfied with this chapter so don't hesitate to give me your inputs.

The download link is still the same.
Libertad
Duke

Post by Libertad »

I really like this project. A lot of thought was put into it. If I ever run an SR4 game, I'll e-mail this to the players so they can get a sense of what the Sixth World is like.
Blade
Knight-Baron

Post by Blade »

Thanks!
Blade
Knight-Baron

Post by Blade »

UPDATE

We get in the nitty gritty with the "Your Style" and "Using Style" chapters!
The download link is still the same.

Also some minor updates to other chapters:
* Culture & Lifestyle of the SINNer

- Work: Mentioning unemployment
- The Cultist: Added memetic cults
- Added the Career Opportunist to the Archetypes

* Shadow lifestyle
- Work: Added the fact that some managers might not be aware that some firms are employing illegal workers.
- Illegal but legit:
-- Talk about pawnshops as a bridge for goods between the SINner and SINless world
-- Added the fact that people will often call the cops when seeing a beggar
-- Added jobs like artisan, repairman and so on.
-- Added the entertainer job
- Social Structures -> Group and Community have seen many changes
- Entertainement: Added races
- Food: Explained why SINless don't grow livestock
- Politics: Added many explanations on the SINless politics systems
- SINless Cultures: Added Nomads

* Medias

- Movies: Explained a little further the YTS system.
- Fashion: Added explanation on the link between the environmental conditions and the clothes
- Books: Mention Ehran the Scribe's books
- Advertising: Added some information about "aggressive" advertising.

* Shadow Medias

- Movie: Added the remix culture
- BTL: Improvements
- Music:
-- Removed the part about the John Blade Project (too complex and meant as a private joke anyway)
-- Added a part about dance
- Games: Added dangerous kids games
- Fashion: Explained the relationship between the practical and social aspects of fashion
- Information: Added "word on the street" as an information source
- Hacktivism: Added infowar and some explanations on the hacker's motivations
- Added books and performances
Blade
Knight-Baron

Post by Blade »

UPDATE

- Added a rule chapter with advanced reputation and social rules (untested)
- Added a gear + spell chapter
- A few fixes here and there
- (Badly) uses JesterZero's layout for easier reading

Next steps: a complete editing before proofreading and layout. It's getting close to the end!
Wiseman
Duke

Post by Wiseman »

This seems interesting but the link isn't working. Anyone have a better one?
Keys to the Contract: A crossover between Puella Magi Madoka Magica and Kingdom Hearts.
RadiantPhoenix wrote:
TheFlatline wrote:Legolas/Robin Hood are myths that have completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a bow".
The D&D wizard is a work of fiction that has a completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a book".
hyzmarca wrote:Well, Mario Mario comes from a blue collar background. He was a carpenter first, working at a construction site. Then a plumber. Then a demolitionist. Also, I'm not sure how strict Mushroom Kingdom's medical licensing requirements are. I don't think his MD is valid in New York.
Blade
Knight-Baron

Post by Blade »

I'll try to get my server back up and running later today or tomorrow.
Wiseman
Duke

Post by Wiseman »

Thanks
Keys to the Contract: A crossover between Puella Magi Madoka Magica and Kingdom Hearts.
RadiantPhoenix wrote:
TheFlatline wrote:Legolas/Robin Hood are myths that have completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a bow".
The D&D wizard is a work of fiction that has a completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a book".
hyzmarca wrote:Well, Mario Mario comes from a blue collar background. He was a carpenter first, working at a construction site. Then a plumber. Then a demolitionist. Also, I'm not sure how strict Mushroom Kingdom's medical licensing requirements are. I don't think his MD is valid in New York.
Blade
Knight-Baron

Post by Blade »

Ok, the server has a hard-drive problem, I'll see if I can fix that during my lunch break.
Blade
Knight-Baron

Post by Blade »

It's back! (for now)
koz
Duke

Post by koz »

Blade wrote:It's back! (for now)
Not from where I'm sitting.
Everything I learned about DnD, I learned from Frank Trollman.
Kaelik wrote:You are so full of Strawmen that I can only assume you actually shit actual straw.
souran wrote:...uber, nerd-rage-inducing, minutia-devoted, pointless blithering shit.
Schwarzkopf wrote:The Den, your one-stop shop for in-depth analysis of Dungeons & Dragons and distressingly credible threats of oral rape.
DSM wrote:Apparently, The GM's Going To Punch You in Your Goddamned Face edition of D&D is getting more traction than I expected. Well, it beats playing 4th. Probably 5th, too.
Frank Trollman wrote:Giving someone a mouth full of cock is a standard action.
PoliteNewb wrote:If size means anything, it's what position you have to get in to give a BJ.
Blade
Knight-Baron

Post by Blade »

Should be ok now.