TGD's views are too extremist for mainstream gaming

Practice posts and questions about the boards. The registration code for this board is 'Th3G@m|ngD3n' (Note the use of numbers and symbols!)

Moderator: Moderators

Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

Fuchs wrote:I don't play mario kart. What exactly do blue shells do?
Unerringly zoom up to whoever is in first place and smash into their cart, costing them at least several seconds. The worse you are doing in the race, the higher the chance you will randomly get one.
Last edited by Avoraciopoctules on Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
talozin
Knight-Baron

Post by talozin »

fectin wrote:Fuchs: sailors are not polite or considerate in conversations with their peers. At all. They also have a really, really rough sense of humor.
I've noticed that, for a lot of armed forces vets (and, to a lesser extent, their children), sparing the feelings of people they deal with is not high on their priority list. It's not that they'll go out of their way to be a dick to you, it's just that they don't have a lot in the way of tact.

And this is completely understandable. When you're being attacked by the Taliban or whatever, whether the guy who brought you the wrong kind of ammunition gets his feelings hurt is of secondary consideration to the fact that you could all fvcking die. But much of civilian society does not operate on the same wavelength.
TheFlatline wrote:This is like arguing that blowjobs have to be terrible, pain-inflicting endeavors so that when you get a chick who *doesn't* draw blood everyone can high-five and feel good about it.
Fuchs
Duke

Post by Fuchs »

Avoraciopoctules wrote:
Fuchs wrote:I don't play mario kart. What exactly do blue shells do?
Unerringly zoom up to whoever is in first place and smash into their cart, costing them at least several seconds. The worse you are doing in the race, the higher the chance you will randomly get one.
Why would I insult him for playing the game as intended? I might swear, but insult?
Last edited by Fuchs on Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

Pseudo Stupidity wrote:Telling somebody to suck a barrel of cocks isn't actually offensive, it's one of the most ridiculous and friendly insults I've heard.
My grandmother was famed for saying, "Who do you think you are? A horse's ass?"

It's become a family standard.
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Maj wrote:
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:Telling somebody to suck a barrel of cocks isn't actually offensive, it's one of the most ridiculous and friendly insults I've heard.
My grandmother was famed for saying, "Who do you think you are? A horse's ass?"

It's become a family standard.
"Shut your dirty fucking mouth" is common in my household when my nephews aren't around.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

DSMatticus wrote:You should really have chosen to frame your point in terms of balanced vs unbalanced as opposed to competitive vs co-op. That's obviously what you were getting at, and yeah you're pretty much right. Most RPGers hear people talking about balancing options and go PSH, I NEVER SAW A PROBLEM, THEREFORE THE VERY VALID ARGUMENTS YOU ARE MAKING ABOUT HOW THERE IS A PROBLEM CAN BE DISMISSED WITHOUT CONSIDERATION, AND I WILL CONTINUE NOT KNOWING THERE IS A PROBLEM BECAUSE THIS ARGUMENT LEADS TO THE IMMEDIATE DISMISSAL OF ANYTHING I HAVEN'T PERSONALLY NOTICED MYSELF, LEAVING ME IN AN INVIOLABLE ECHO CHAMBER OF ONE.
I'm really more of a boardgamer, where there is a real category between competitive and co-op games, and the former is defined by what you described as "balanced" options (otherwise people break the game and run away with it), while the co-ops tend to go more for "what seems cool" even if it doesn't actually bloody work.

An illustration: Last Night on Earth is a competitive game, where there is a GM controlling the zombies. Because the GM powers are stupidly overpowerful, the game loses much of its fun because it's way too easy for the GM to wipe out the humans and everyone gets mad at a GM for playing optimally.

By contrast Zombicide is a co-op game. There is no GM, and the moves of the zombies are programmed. However, the you can abuse the programmed moves of the zombies so you can draw them off to chokepoints by exploiting the "make sound" and LOS rules. It's cheap and cheesy and leads to a lot of easy wins, but the players also totally don't mind because it really does feel like you're fighting dumbass zombies (and there's no GM who you get mad at).

Two broken games, but one is actually still fun because it's a co-op and not a competitive game.
Last edited by Zinegata on Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:20 am, edited 2 times in total.