Condensing Spell headers

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

RandomCasualty
Prince

Condensing Spell headers

Post by RandomCasualty »

Well, we all know that D&D spell headers suck. Here's a look at one of them.

Fireball
Evocation [Fire]
Level: Sor/Wiz 3
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Long (400 ft. + 40 ft./level)
Area: 20-ft.-radius spread
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Reflex half
Spell Resistance: Yes

Ok. Now, that's a lot of shit. It's fat, it's ugly and I'd like to condense that down into one short line. Now, what I thought would be to have a set of defaults. For instance, a spell is instantaneous, standard action casting time, offers SR and is assumed to have components: V,S unless stated otherwise. You also have various types of spells like Ray, Touch, Targetted, etc. And they have various standards, so a ray would always require a ranged touch attack, a targetted spell hits one creature automatically and so on.

A series of modifiers would further define the spell. So for instance if you wanted a verbal only spell, you'd just write some descriptor like "verbal". PUtting down "material" means the spell requires a material component. It'd take a bit to learn what all the descriptors mean, but I don't figure too long.

Durations would have descriptors: like Combat (for 1 round/level spells), Adventure for (1 min/level), extended (for 10 min/level) and so forth. Really I want to get rid of these cumbersome durations too, but for now just figure that there are descriptors for duration.

To simplify matters every descriptor is one word, or one hyphenated block, so people know what goes with what. Spaces indicate that you've moved on to another descriptor, so it would be reflex-negates so people know that's one individual part of the spell header.

Certain things have also been eliminated, like spell level. Honestly it was meaningless in 3E because the level depended on what class handed it out. So I'm letting that be something stored in the class block (or I may just do away with spell levels entirely).

So you'd get a header that looks something like this.
Fireball Evoc (fire) [long spread(20) material Reflex-half]

or for some other spells:
Divine Power Evoc [personal focus Combat]
Eagle's Splendor Trans [touch material adventure Will-negates]
Enervation Nec [Close Ray]
Baleful Polymorph Trans [Close Targeted Fort-negates/Will-Partial]
Bigby's Crushing Hand Evoc (force) [Medium effect Material Focus Combat]
Horrid Wilting Nec [Long Multi-Targetted(60,Living-only) Material/Focus Fortitude-half]

Could something like this work or do you feel that it's too complicated to read because of all the one word descriptors?
JonSetanta
King

Re: Condensing Spell headers

Post by JonSetanta »

Well, I think like that, so it's not a far cry for me at least. I'm fine with that change. That's even how I jot stuff down for design drafts, much to the pain of Ceilingcat's eyes.

Whether anyone else can read it is another matter.
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
K
King

Re: Condensing Spell headers

Post by K »

Yeh, I had a similar idea when working on the Book of Gears.

Essentially, my idea is "if the spell can't fit on a card and the description can't be done in five short sentences, you shouldn't have it."

To make things fit on a card you'd also have to collapse the stat part so that AoE and Range are one and just assume that standard actions and SR are default unless you state in the description.