I'm walking on sunshine [and stabbing fools]!

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

virgil
King

Post by virgil »

Maj wrote:May I please ask... What is the allure of visiting the sun? Why is this a cool thing to do?
It's mainly the wow factor. Why would you fight dinosaurs in space? Why would you duel ninjas over an active volcano? Why would you stop the escape of the King of All Vampires from his prison on the Sun?
fectin wrote:Take the Spelljammer interpretation, where other planets/celestial bodies are other planes, and move on with your life.
I'm fairly certain that Spelljammer treats other planets as locations, and the closest thing to planar separation is from solar system to solar system due to the phlogiston boundaries.
Last edited by virgil on Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

For me, much of the appeal of near-solar adventures comes from the enormous lethality of the setting. If you aren't desperately working to keep from getting a lethal dose of gamma rays and UV, it kind of cheapens the experience.
Sashi
Knight-Baron

Post by Sashi »

RadiantPhoenix wrote:Would you walk on it, or float in it first, though?
Float. The sun gets incredibly dense at the core, but the whole thing is still an incredibly low viscosity fluid being churned by the constant battle between gravity and fusion. Even though the core is ten times denser than lead there's never a large enough density discontinuity that you could actually "stand on" it.
RobG
Apprentice

Post by RobG »

Hydrogen and Helium are both gasses. The necklace of adaptation should work.. with a little rules lawyering.