Kickstarter: New shadowrun video game

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

TheFlatline
Prince

Post by TheFlatline »

Seerow wrote:
Multiplayer is out. No PvP, no Co-Op. Also, no Linux Version.
Fail. Co-Op is really the one thing I was wanting most out of the extras they mentioned.
Multiplayer is one of the hardest things to implement too.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

TBH, I'm kinda tired of how everything's got multiplayer in it these days. I'm pretty happy about the omission.
bears fall, everyone dies
Jilocasin
Knight

Post by Jilocasin »

Whipstitch wrote:TBH, I'm kinda tired of how everything's got multiplayer in it these days. I'm pretty happy about the omission.
Me too.
Lokathor
Duke

Post by Lokathor »

I'm still puzzling over how the guy who came up with shadowrun can't seem to recall that there are three parts to the 6th world, not 4 parts.
[*]The Ends Of The Matrix: Github and Rendered
[*]After Sundown: Github and Rendered
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Yeah, the 4 Parts kinda irritates me too . . might have been a simple 3/4 typo . . or riggers are seen as different from the matrix again . . or it's the whole mages / shamans difference they wrote about . .

@Multiplayer: yes, i can do very well without it . . Co-Op on the other hand would have been kinda nice . .
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Stahlseele wrote:Yeah, the 4 Parts kinda irritates me too . . might have been a simple 3/4 typo . . or riggers are seen as different from the matrix again . . or it's the whole mages / shamans difference they wrote about . .
They were quite explicit actually, because they listed the four realities:

Physical World
Digital World - Deckers
Astral World - Shamans
"Mystic world" - Mages

For reasons that make no sense to anyone, they decided to give Hermetic Mages a whole extra astral plane that they can play in. No one seems to have the slightest clue why they would decide to do something like that.

-Username17
Neurosis
Duke

Post by Neurosis »

That. Is. Fucking. Retarded.

Probably the guy with the sorry sign again, honestly. You know, that guy who's never played Shadowrun in his fucking life.
For a minute, I used to be "a guy" in the TTRPG "industry". Now I'm just a nobody. For the most part, it's a relief.
Trank Frollman wrote:One of the reasons we can say insightful things about stuff is that we don't have to pretend to be nice to people. By embracing active aggression, we eliminate much of the passive aggression that so paralyzes things on other gaming forums.
hogarth wrote:As the good book saith, let he who is without boners cast the first stone.
TiaC wrote:I'm not quite sure why this is an argument. (Except that Kaelik is in it, that's a good reason.)
Lokathor
Duke

Post by Lokathor »

Schwarzkopf wrote:Probably the guy with the sorry sign again, honestly. You know, that guy who's never played Shadowrun in his fucking life.
Not so sure on that one, Jordan Weisman is the guy doing the videos, and it's from those that we know the most about their plans, including the 4 segments thing. So clearly he's signed off on it.
[*]The Ends Of The Matrix: Github and Rendered
[*]After Sundown: Github and Rendered
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

And something for in between:
http://www.wiredreflexes.com/
It's entirely free and fan made.
3rd Edition, slight changes, not much to do/buy yet sadly . .
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/161 ... f=activity
"blah blah blah USB-Dog-Tags blah blah blah"
SHUT UP! SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

MfA
Knight-Baron

Post by MfA »

FrankTrollman wrote:I don't know what they hope to accomplish with the kickstarter format. Smith and Tinker are listed on wikipedia as having 40 employees. A $300,000 cash infusion will maybe let them make payroll for a year. They can't put out any kind of product anyone would care about in a year.
Troika pumped out ToEE in 18 months, doubt they had a team of 40 at that.

Certainly not a smashing success, but certainly a game I care about.
Last edited by MfA on Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

And they cracked the 1 Million goal . .
With 14 days left and about 100k per day being funded it seems we may even make the 1.5 million goal too . .
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

TheFlatline
Prince

Post by TheFlatline »

Assume another large surge in the last 5 days or so. I suspect they'll hit a million five, they might hit two.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

we will have to wait and see.
i am happy they are making a boxed version of it too.
hopefully, the boxed version will be sold in stores too.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Internet:

You're like the millionaire significant other who gives the best pancakes and blowjobs in the world but also goes into random bouts of emotional and financial abuse, leaves heroin needles under the sheets, has a racist mother-in-law who lives next door, and makes fun of my tiny penis.

You're destroying my soul, but I love it. :gar:
Last edited by Lago PARANOIA on Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

OK, i upped my Pledge to 190$ to get the 175$ Reward.
And they cracked the 1.5 Million Dollars.
Next Target: 1.75M to get physical Adepts in.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Otakusensei
Master

Post by Otakusensei »

ishy
Duke

Post by ishy »

shadowrun kickstarter page wrote: No armed medical extraction team will actually arrive at your home.
Damn, I want my 60 bucks back
Gary Gygax wrote:The player’s path to role-playing mastery begins with a thorough understanding of the rules of the game
Bigode wrote:I wouldn't normally make that blanket of a suggestion, but you seem to deserve it: scroll through the entire forum, read anything that looks interesting in term of design experience, then come back.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

BACKERS
$1,836,447
PLEDGED OF $400,000 GOAL
SECONDS TO GO
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

So what's the extra money going to go to?
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
kzt
Knight-Baron

Post by kzt »

The SR tradition is a very nice McMansion.
TheFlatline
Prince

Post by TheFlatline »

kzt wrote:The SR tradition is a very nice McMansion.
Major points for snark.

Um... let's see here.

They're adding in due to overfunding:

Mac Support
Linux Support (I believe)
Language translation, particularly into German
Riggers
A second city after Seattle that's going to be a fan vote
Time-exclusive adventure that continues/develops the SNES and Genesis plots (everyone else gets it later)
The musicians who did the Genesis & SNES game soundtracks are coming back
PhyAds

Plus a general overall polishing of the level editor, addition of more art/assets for the game, etc etc... Front runners for the additional city are Berlin and Chicago it seems like. I might actually vote for Berlin.

At this point I'm personally expecting something like the genesis game on steroids. They were saying a 2d game engine so I'm not expecting anything jaw-dropping, but considering that I still play the genesis game on an emulator I don't think I need much in terms of graphics to entertain the f*ck out of me.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Seems like there will actually be a boxed version to be sold too.
So not only downloadable but shop bought possible too, if all goes well.

As i said to Frank in another posting, i am hoping this to be like . . Fallout Tactics, basically . . Maybe a bit more refined engine and of course closer towards shadowrun than to gurps, but basically, continous round based combat(mix between real time and completely round based possible) isometric top down view, small squad tactical combat, mission based game-play with an more or less open world like in fallout 2 where you would have the sprawl instead of the wasteland but still shops and smugglers and bandits and critters and the like wandering around that could get to you between runs too . .
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

TheFlatline
Prince

Post by TheFlatline »

Stahlseele wrote:Seems like there will actually be a boxed version to be sold too.
So not only downloadable but shop bought possible too, if all goes well.

As i said to Frank in another posting, i am hoping this to be like . . Fallout Tactics, basically . . Maybe a bit more refined engine and of course closer towards shadowrun than to gurps, but basically, continous round based combat(mix between real time and completely round based possible) isometric top down view, small squad tactical combat, mission based game-play with an more or less open world like in fallout 2 where you would have the sprawl instead of the wasteland but still shops and smugglers and bandits and critters and the like wandering around that could get to you between runs too . .
They did use the phrases "2d turn based" so you might be in luck. I'd even be fine with a Final Fantasy style system where you have the one single character on the overmap and it drops down into tactical combat. Since a lot of shadowrun is legwork, being in a tactical turn based overview would be a pain in the ass when not actually in combat.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Yah, Fallout did that pretty good. Outside of combat, it was real-time usually, and once combat was initiatd, it turned to turn-based
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote: