[D&D 3.5] The Unconventional Wisdom of the Den

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

A Man In Black
Duke

Post by A Man In Black »

Darth Rabbitt wrote:I didn't like Fallout: New Vegas (made by Obsidian) nearly as much as Fallout 3 (made by Bethesda), although that's not a big thing, as New Vegas is still pretty enjoyable (although I suspect that's due to the fact that many of the people who worked on previous games worked on New Vegas, in spite of Obsidian, and even Avellone himself had been involved in some of the earlier games, although I personally don't think he was particularly important to their development).
No, there's no overlap between Bethesda Game Studios and Obsidian. There are a fair few people left at Obsidian from the Interplay/Black Isle Studios days, including Chris Avellione, and some of those people (Chris Avellione included) worked on Fallout 2, if that's what you mean by earlier games. He also worked on the (cancelled) Black Isle Fallout 3 project, but nobody really cares about that but the No Mutants Allowed nuts.
But Obsidian, and indeed Avellone himself, being lead designer, IS responsible for the horrible thing known as KotOR II[...]
If you're curious why KOTOR2 feels unfinished, I'll let you do some math.

Development on KOTOR2 started roughly in July 2003. The game's gold master was finalized in November 2004.

Contrast with KOTOR, which was under development from July 2000 to July 2003, or Jade Empire, which was already under development in September of 2003 and went gold in April of 2005.
I wish in the past I had tried more things 'cause now I know that being in trouble is a fake idea
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

I liked jade empire. I'm really not sure why everyone rags on it.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Blicero wrote:fanboy defense

I'll agree with you on the characters, but parts of the story was just awful regardless of the amount of work that they could have added.

See Peragus, with its attempt at claustrophobic horror which fails miserably on even the most basic thematic level because of the fact that you're a fucking Jedi that can make the hazards there explode just by looking at them, which just resulted in a long and boring beginning.

Not to mention that it makes it seem like in the beginning, it's trying to figure out how you played your character in the first, and then shows it doesn't matter anyways, since the whole story's the same anyways.

Because of this, it makes it seem like your character in the previous game accomplished nothing, really.

Honestly, I think that for that reason I would've liked it a lot better if it took place like 500 years after the first game, not like 5.

Also, the whole reason for Revan's departure fails on another level: it seemed rather forced, especially since the game was clearly never going to actually show us anything regarding the True Sith regardless of how developed it was.

It's OK to set up for a sequel, but the prior work should also be able to stand on its own without one.

/rant

But perhaps that's too hard on Obsidian as a whole, and I'll gladly withdraw my statement to get this discussion back on track.
Guyr Adamantine wrote:Well, I liked Fallout 3, but New Vegas was more of a legitimate sequel, instead of being some spin-off outside of continuity. Mind you, it was really good, but a bit shaky on its connection to its predecessors. For example, the BoS and the BoS Outcasts should've been reversed.
Fair enough.
I know about the sentient deathclaws, but I don't remember them talking.
At least some of them were able to, I recall Goris (the albino one you could recruit as a party member) could, as could their leader and I think a few others.

Then again, deathclaws aren't really animals per se, just mutated creatures that normally have animal level intelligence, so they're probably an exception to the talking animals usually seeming silly rule.
A Man In Black wrote:There are a fair few people left at Obsidian from the Interplay/Black Isle Studios days, including Chris Avellione, and some of those people (Chris Avellione included) worked on Fallout 2, if that's what you mean by earlier games.
That's exactly what I meant by earlier games, sorry if I was unclear.
If you're curious why KOTOR2 feels unfinished, I'll let you do some math.

Development on KOTOR2 started roughly in July 2003. The game's gold master was finalized in November 2004.

Contrast with KOTOR, which was under development from July 2000 to July 2003, or Jade Empire, which was already under development in September of 2003 and went gold in April of 2005.
I'm well aware that the game was rushed, and that hurt it a lot.

Perhaps I'm being too harsh on it, as it had really big shoes to fill (the first KOTOR being one of my favorite games of all time).
fectin wrote:I liked jade empire. I'm really not sure why everyone rags on it.
I haven't played it, but a friend of mine tells me its great.

That's all I know about it, really.
Last edited by Darth Rabbitt on Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

kotor 2 had much better gameplay than kotor 1 and the sidequests were better (and I think the characters were better in kotor 2) but the ending was shit-tier, the unfinished plot was shit-tier, and the starting area was shit-tier (waaay too much time on that damn ship). villains in kotor 2 were more memorable and I love teresias or whatever the blind chick's name was
Count Arioch wrote:I'm not sure how discussions on whether PR is a terrible person or not is on-topic.
Ant wrote:
Chamomile wrote:Ant, what do we do about Psychic Robot?
You do not seem to do anything.
infected slut princess
Knight-Baron

Post by infected slut princess »

Vnonymous wrote:Well EXCUUUUUUUUUUUUSE ME PRINCESS

I actually think that cranium rats are awesome. Chris Avellone agrees, too.

And Flail snails are actually super cool.
Cranium rats... maybe, but please describe for me a situation in which it would ever be cool to use a flail snail. I cannot imagine one that is not completely retarded.
Last edited by infected slut princess on Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

infected slut princess wrote:
Cranium rats... maybe, but please describe for me a situation in which it would ever be cool to use a flail snail..
Obviously the Dr. Seuss inspired adventure.
Put it in scale mail guarding a nails pail which you need to fix the pale rail in time for the inn's ale sale.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

When a giant drops you in his aquarium.

Amidst the sharks, aboleths, and other such large aquatic fair, you also have to contend with marine flail snails that clean the tank.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.