The Obligatory Rules Thread, Take Two

Practice posts and questions about the boards. The registration code for this board is 'Th3G@m|ngD3n' (Note the use of numbers and symbols!)

Moderator: Moderators

echoVanguard
Knight-Baron

Post by echoVanguard »

fbmf wrote:(A) People I had never heard of and who don't regularly post here knew the culture of tgdmb well enough to comment intelligently on it. I had no idea we were so well known in the gaming community, and

(B) They seemed to speak of said reputation as if it were a good thing. For the record, to the best of my knowledge they had no idea I was the admin or even a regular poster until the conversation was over.
While I personally tend towards the subtle, I wouldn't have registered here if I wasn't willing to put up with the heat in the kitchen, so to speak. And tgdmb *is* pretty well-known for being a seat of innovation in TTRPG circles, primarily thanks to Frank and a couple of migrants from the old-school wizards.com CharOp boards (where I used to post under a different, but similar, name).
fbmf wrote: [The Great Fence Builder Speaks]
Anyhow, I agree with Prak that as long as you don't start spam advertising us, asking for criticism of your system is not a problem at all.

Be forewarned: No regular poster will think twice before telling you what they think of your system and how it reflects on you personally.
[/TGFBS]
I very much appreciate your response, and if I didn't want honest feedback, I wouldn't bother asking for it. More to the point here, though, I'm cognizant enough to understand that feedback is probably going to be delivered in tgdmb's particular idiom, and I'm not terribly likely to be offended by that.

echo
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Just to clarify:

Invisible post bug thread locked due to spamminess or is abusing that bug a rulesy issue?
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

The bug doesn't bother me, though we should probably add it to the fix-it list.

The spamminess of the thread was the issue.

[/The Great Fence Builder Speaks]
Grek
Prince

Post by Grek »

So, I notice we have a new word filter. This raises a few questions:

1. What words are filtered? I'd rather not make a test post just to figure it out.
2. Do we get in trouble if we exceed a certain amount of words filtered per post or anything like that?
3. What brought this on, anyways?
Chamomile wrote:Grek is a national treasure.
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

[The Great Fence Builder Speaks]
Naturally, I can't list the words directly, so here we go:

[*]Col. Stinkmeaner's (The Boondocks) favorite racial epithet. Only he pronounces it "Nee-yig-uh" and uses it on everybody, or sometimes just as an exclamation on its own. Or rather he did. He's dead now.

[*]Clint Eastwood's (Gran Torino) euphemism for "Asian".

[*]The American equivalent of the British "fanny"

Those have been in there since the beginning.

Recently, at the request of a few posters, I've added "British cigarette" and most of its iterations. No great loss, as PR is the only one that uses with anything approaching regularity.

As far as #2, I'm way more concerned with filter dodging than words per post or anything like that. If it becomes a problem, I'll let you know.
[/TGFBS]
Last edited by fbmf on Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sir Neil
Knight-Baron

Post by Sir Neil »

Koumei wrote:I know it's no longer allowed that people wish death (or other horribleness) on others, nor that they threaten to do so....
Sonofabitch! When did that change?
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Sir Neil wrote:
Koumei wrote:I know it's no longer allowed that people wish death (or other horribleness) on others, nor that they threaten to do so....
Sonofabitch! When did that change?
I think that one might have been my fault. But I'm not sure. After all, there was that one guy who kept flipping out over Frank's "If you are not joking about the paladin spellcasting I will murder your family" line.

It was ages ago, anyway.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
...You Lost Me
Duke

Post by ...You Lost Me »

Fanny? Euphemism for asian? I don't get those...
DSMatticus wrote:Again, look at this fucking map you moron. Take your finger and trace each country's coast, then trace its claim line. Even you - and I say that as someone who could not think less of your intelligence - should be able to tell that one of these things is not like the other.
Kaelik wrote:I invented saying mean things about Tussock.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Fanny: in America that means the bottom. In England and Australia it refers to the vagina. So the word is... well there's this nice little place in England called Scunthorpe. You'll find the word there. Literally.

As for the Asian euphemism, IIRC it was the term used in... the Korean war?
I have only seen it twice on the forums here. First because a bunch of nonsense was described as gobbelty-[EDITED], and the second the result of a typo of "goop" (goop of course being ooze or similar crap).
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Sir Neil
Knight-Baron

Post by Sir Neil »

Koumei wrote:After all, there was that one guy who kept flipping out over Frank's "If you are not joking about the paladin spellcasting I will murder your family" line.
Yeah, I remember that little shit. It's too bad, cause I've made some vivid threats....

Had to deal with one of the local crazies, and I promised my boss I wouldn't tell her I was going to pin her down, take out my knife and scrape all the meat off the bones of her face, but if she behaved properly I'd kill her before I started.
Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

Had to deal with one of the local crazies, and I promised my boss I wouldn't tell her I was going to pin her down, take out my knife and scrape all the meat off the bones of her face, but if she behaved properly I'd kill her before I started.
what the fuck is wrong with you
Count Arioch wrote:I'm not sure how discussions on whether PR is a terrible person or not is on-topic.
Ant wrote:
Chamomile wrote:Ant, what do we do about Psychic Robot?
You do not seem to do anything.
Sir Neil
Knight-Baron

Post by Sir Neil »

I'm not sure, but it came in pretty handy in Iraq. :)
Koumei wrote:If other sites had plenty of good homebrew stuff the Den wouldn't need to exist. We don't come here because we like each other.
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

[The Great Fence Builder Speaks]
While normally this topic-wandering doesn't bother me so much...this one has a special place in my heart, so take this discussion somewhere else, folks.
[/TGFBS]
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

Are custom titles, upon request, permitted? What are the different titles, and their associated post-counts?
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

Code: Select all

NPC                          0 	
1st Level 	                25 	
Apprentice 	        50 	
Journeyman 	        100 	
Master 	                175 	
Knight 	                300 	
Knight-Baron 	        500 	
Duke 	                1000 	
Prince 	                2500 	
King 	                        5000 	
Overlord 	                7500 	
Invincible Overlord 	10000 	
Serious Badass 	        12500
As to your other question: Custom Titles are reserved for the staff. Come to think of it...I'm not even sure if Z has one. Hmmmmm...

Game On,
fbmf
Last edited by fbmf on Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

I know you thought this day would never come, but I want to add a rule. Can we make failing to fix your tags after you have become aware that they are broken a bannable offense?

I mean, it is basically just deliberately sabotaging the board. I'm fine with just putting Darwinism's new account on ignore if I have to, but if he isn't going to fix his tags, I'm not sure I can justify allowing him to continue posting.
Last edited by Kaelik on Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

Can you prove he knew they were broken and deliberately ignored it?
[/TGFBS]
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

fbmf wrote:Can you prove he knew they were broken and deliberately ignored it?
[/TGFBS]
I can prove he now knows about them and hasn't yet fixed them. EDIT: and now never will, since you have.

I don't mean to ban him right now. But if we are going to have SA trolls, they should be required to not leave their tags broken.

I am more concerned about deterrence than punishment. If he fixes them now, I don't care.
Last edited by Kaelik on Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

Kaelik wrote:
fbmf wrote:Can you prove he knew they were broken and deliberately ignored it?
[/TGFBS]
I can prove he now knows about them and hasn't fixed them.
Assuming I hadn't, how would you know? PM the answer, please.

Last edited by fbmf on Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grek
Prince

Post by Grek »

Completely independent of the Darwinism issue, that's probably a good rule to add. Intentionally leaving broken tags everywhere is shit.
Chamomile wrote:Grek is a national treasure.
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

Grek wrote:Completely independent of the Darwinism issue, that's probably a good rule to add. Intentionally leaving broken tags everywhere is shit.
there are some common BBCode closing tags you could just spam at the end of a post if you dont preview the post to make sure it doesnt kill the page, and everyone can see their post after posting to be able to tell that the post broke the page.

if someone is doing it VERY OFTEN, they might be doing it on purpose or need a refresher course in phpBB tags.

EDIT: just checked. adding extra close quote tags, cause page malfunction, AFTER seen in preview when added to the rest of the page. :confused: :confused:
Last edited by shadzar on Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Play the game, not the rules.
Swordslinger wrote:Or fuck it... I'm just going to get weapon specialization in my cock and whip people to death with it. Given all the enemies are total pussies, it seems like the appropriate thing to do.
Lewis Black wrote:If the people of New Zealand want to be part of our world, I believe they should hop off their islands, and push 'em closer.
good read (Note to self Maxus sucks a barrel of cocks.)
Laertes
Duke

Post by Laertes »

What is the forum's policy towards thread proliferation?

Specifically, I'm kicking off a PbP Ars Magica game, and it is the custom with Ars Magica PbP to run many threads in parallel, gradually letting each one peter out rather than keeping the game in one thread. However, I realise that this may get in everybody else's way, and wanted to clear it with the board residents before I went in and did it.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Usually forum games here use two threads, one IC, one OOC. I'm not sure what AM would need more than that for.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

Prak_Anima wrote:Usually forum games here use two threads, one IC, one OOC. I'm not sure what AM would need more than that for.
Neither am I. Please stick to that format.
Laertes
Duke

Post by Laertes »

Prak Anima wrote:Usually forum games here use two threads, one IC, one OOC. I'm not sure what AM would need more than that for.
It's because Ars Magica games often run with parallel overlapping scenes to get around the slow pace of PbP but to take advantage of its nonlinearity compared to tabletop. For example, there's a game on the Atlas Games forums in which the covenant is preparing to host a Tribunal (and thus busy building showy magitech stuff to host a load of magi) when they're not exploring, enduring raids from monsters, or RPing day to say covenant life. Keeping each in its own thread allows players to jump back and forth between them while keeping each plotline straightforward in its own thread. Trying to do all of that in a single IC thread would get horribly confusing.

Edit to say: I understand that having each season of adventure in its own thread is only possible in games which have dedicated subforums. Bearing this in mind and wanting to be a good forum member, if I was asked how many threads would be reasonable, bearing in mind that other people use that forum too, I'd say four: OOC, IC Adventuring, semi-IC Lab, and IC Covenant Improvement / At-Home RP.

However, because I'm still new to the forum, I'm happy to comply with your norms.
fbmf wrote:Neither am I. Please stick to that format.
Understood and will comply.
Last edited by Laertes on Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.