Gygax Memorial Fund: Raising Money 4 Monument: Gen Con

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

tzor
Prince

Gygax Memorial Fund: Raising Money 4 Monument: Gen Con

Post by tzor »

This needs it's own topic, I think. (I mean it could go in a special D&D Writer Memorials but honestly I don't think there are that many that are active.) I just got this from an email from my regional gaming group.

On His Birthday (Today), You Can Help the Memory of Gary Gygax Last Forever
Today (July 27) is the birthday of Gary Gygax, who would have been 73 this year had he not passed from this earth in 2008 to dance forever on the astral plane, which (according to the DM’s Guide) is a realm of thought and memory, and also the place the gods go when they die or have been forgotten.

Gygax, D&D’s co-founder, is gone, but certainly not forgotten. One way he’s being immortalized is in bronze and stone. Previously I wrote for GeekDad about the Gygax Memorial Fund and the increasing likelihood that a monument in his honor will be built in Gary’s hometown of Lake Geneva, WI. The city has granted parkland for the memorial, and the fund has incorporated as a 501(c)3 nonprofit.
They are starting the project at Gen Con
To encourage you to give, Tavis says that cool donor rewards include T-shirts with the Gygax Memorial logo, and a book called Cheers, Gary “which selects the best of his correspondence with fans at the EN World Q&A threads.” Editor Paul Hughes will be signing books, which have an Erol Otus illustration on the front cover depicting Gary as the wizard seen on the front of the original D&D box set.