Feature Request

Practice posts and questions about the boards. The registration code for this board is 'Th3G@m|ngD3n' (Note the use of numbers and symbols!)

Moderator: Moderators

duo31
Apprentice

Feature Request

Post by duo31 »

tapatalk support.

allows for scaling and reflowing of forums on mobile devices. iOS, Android, WebOS, Win7.

supposedly easy to implement.

-duo
Last edited by duo31 on Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing is Foolproof to a sufficiently talented Fool.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Can the ignore button icon be changed to not incorporate an "x"? My mind apparently focuses on symbols first and words second, I'm glad I can't ignore myself.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Damnit, there goes my plan for ignoring everyone including myself.

So... your brain goes "X! I can collapse this post to save screen-space!" or something?
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

I can do the graphics on that no problem. I'll eMail the redone file to Zherog for install.
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Koumei wrote:Damnit, there goes my plan for ignoring everyone including myself.

So... your brain goes "X! I can collapse this post to save screen-space!" or something?
No it went, "Ah, 'x', there's the delete button"
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Zherog
Knight-Baron

Post by Zherog »

Got the file from MC Majjy Maj. I'll install it this weekend, when I have a better chance of finding 5-10 minutes.
You can't fix stupid.

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." ~ Jackie Robinson
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

Is there any way to increase PM sizes?

I have been... busy with diplomatic dispatches.
Zherog
Knight-Baron

Post by Zherog »

Are you talking about the number of messages allowed in your PM box, or the size of an individual PM?
You can't fix stupid.

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." ~ Jackie Robinson
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

Number of messages.
Zherog
Knight-Baron

Post by Zherog »

OK - I doubled the capacity on everybody's "In Box" and "Save Box" and quadrupled the size of the ""sent box" -- which brings each of them up to 100 messages.

While I can increase it further, I'm thinking that's enough storage space for most situations. If, however, there's good reasons to make it even larger, I'm willing to listen at some point in the future. For now, though, this is as much database space I'm willing to take up.

Cheers.
You can't fix stupid.

Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

Thanks!
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

Was there an answer on tapatalk support?
Zherog
Knight-Baron

Post by Zherog »

Sorry - I missed the original post about TapeTalk somehow. Looking at the FAQ, we're on an unsupported version of phpBB (we're on 2.something, it's only supported for 3.0.x).
You can't fix stupid.

fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

Thanks for looking into it.
duo31
Apprentice

Post by duo31 »

Yes, thanks for looking.

-duo
Nothing is Foolproof to a sufficiently talented Fool.
Zherog
Knight-Baron

Post by Zherog »

Prak_Anima wrote:Can the ignore button icon be changed to not incorporate an "x"? My mind apparently focuses on symbols first and words second, I'm glad I can't ignore myself.
Maj wrote:I can do the graphics on that no problem. I'll eMail the redone file to Zherog for install.
After much delaying on my part, for no real good reason, this is done.
You can't fix stupid.

fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

Thanks, Z.

Game On,
fbmf
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

so are php versions bought or can you upgrade to a further version for free? This is more of a question of curiosity. I know the amount of upheaval forum changes take, so I'm just curious about the procedure.

edit: I arez not grammars.
Last edited by Cynic on Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
Zherog
Knight-Baron

Post by Zherog »

phpbb is open source and free.
You can't fix stupid.

Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

Is there some way we can ignore topics instead of people. The dom3 topics really keep cluttering up "trenches."
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

One feature I'd like to see would be nestable spoiler tags, if at all possible.

Also, maybe this thread should be stickied since it's kinda turning into the official "I would like to see this feature" thread?

Edit: Title-able spoiler tags would be cool too, but of course I have no clue whether BBCode supports that. I've also never been able to figure it out on other boards, but it'd still be nice.
Also, awesome that this became sticky.
Last edited by Prak on Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

*poke* Any idea on the ignore topic feature?
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

Request forwarded to the IT department.

Game On,
fbmf
Zherog
Knight-Baron

Post by Zherog »

When someone comes to me at my job and asks if something is possible to do, my standard (smartass) reply is something along the lines of, "anything is possible with enough time and money." That answer would seem to hold true here as well.

Purely from a "get the data" perspective, altering the query that builds the forum view so that it hides certain topics isn't all that hard. Time and money investment for this piece? Overall, pretty small.

But... there's a lot of stuff that would have to go around that. First and foremost, of course, would be a way to flag a thread to place it on your ignore list. There would also need to be a semi-elegant method of managing those ignores, so that if you accidentally ignored a thread you could remove it and so on. It would also make a lot of sense to add a toggle, so that you could click a button/link/whatever and override your ignore list for one query. Time and money investment for those pieces? A hella lot, mostly because I have very limited knowledge of php, and all the stuff around it. I can hack my way through some things (for example, when the ignore user feature went in, I was able to fix a bug in the code even though I don't "know" the language) but writing something from scratch? Meh... There's also the "money" aspect of it, which in this case would involve a fair bit of opportunity cost rather than actual cost - I'd have to give up either time with my kids or time spent working on my various freelance project or the little bit of free time I keep for myself or some combination of the three.

So, bottom lining it: it does sound like a solid, useful feature. But at the moment - and for the foreseeable future - I don't have the bandwidth to develop it.

~~~

On the spoiler tags: both of those are more or less in the same category. When we first moved from bb suckboy over to here, Neil was kind enough to write up code for the spoiler and the whisper. I would wager nestable blocks are possible. I would also wager that titles are entirely possible. I've seen both on other forums (though not the same code, I believe). Again, though, it's a matter of finding the time to research, learn the language, tweak the code, etc.

I personally find the Title request far more useful than the nestable request, but both are good ideas. Sadly, they'll have to go onto the same "I'd love to but can't right now" list as the ignore thread idea above.
You can't fix stupid.

shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

i will see if i still have the old "ignore threads" hack for phpBB2 on my hack archive disk...if not i could make a REALLY simple one just for TGD.. I its host allows decent access to manually add fields to the database....IF you want me to look for them bad enough Z.

(just found my DDM hack (of the official DDM WotC tools) that allows users to use the DDM builder to make armies and track collections that i incorporated into phpBB2 just the other day.)
Play the game, not the rules.
Swordslinger wrote:Or fuck it... I'm just going to get weapon specialization in my cock and whip people to death with it. Given all the enemies are total pussies, it seems like the appropriate thing to do.
Lewis Black wrote:If the people of New Zealand want to be part of our world, I believe they should hop off their islands, and push 'em closer.
good read (Note to self Maxus sucks a barrel of cocks.)