Houserule This! The Falling Fighter Dilemma

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

User3
Prince

Houserule This! The Falling Fighter Dilemma

Post by User3 »

A figher uses a D-door to 'port up to a flying guy.

Can he grapple the guy to hold on?

Can be 'port above that flying guy, and fall on him as a weapon(using the falling objects rules).

Does he fall on his turn, and if so, can he take an attack on the way down? With Spring Attack?
Username17
Serious Badass

Re: Houserule This! The Falling Fighter Dilemma

Post by Username17 »

A figher uses a D-door to 'port up to a flying guy.

Can he grapple the guy to hold on?

No, he can't. Dimension Door ends your turn, you can't do anything until after you've hit the ground - unless you take "advantage" of the long range to go up higher than you can fall in one round.

-Username17
RandomCasualty
Prince

Post by RandomCasualty »

How I handle things like this in my games...

Grappling: I wouldn't say you could grapple, due to the "you can't take any actions until your next turn" clause. This to me means that you could not ready an action to grapple, which is what you'd need to do, because you start falling instantly upon arrival.

Falling object: The falling object rules suck as written. The only way I've dealt with them is to turn them into a reflex negates effect.

Spring attack: As with grappling, he'd start falling instantly and would require a readied action to make an immediate attack. Like above however, the clause in dimension door would seem to forbid readied actions. So I'd also say no to this one.

User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

There's a feat in Warrior's book that lets you take na attack after a D-door. How qbout that?

What if you used a teleport or some other form of teleport-type effect?
RandomCasualty
Prince

Post by RandomCasualty »

Well if you can make a full attack right after a dimension door, then you can use anything that would substitute for an attack action, this includes grappling, tripping or just normally hitting the guy with your sword.

With standard teleport, since it doesn't have the "no actions afterward" restriction of DD, You could ready an action to attack after a teleport, assuming something else was teleporting you. Also if you had a quickened teleport you could simply attack after making your teleport.
Essence
Knight-Baron

Post by Essence »

Except that, in D&D, objects fall instantaenously, all the way to the ground. There are no rules for how far you fall in a round; you just hit the ground. Teleporting/DDooring into the air just means you hit the ground effectively the instant your spell completes it's effect. I'd allow a readied action to go off, but there's no time for anything more unless you've got a Feather Fall spell on.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Essence at [unixtime wrote:1082657753[/unixtime]]Except that, in D&D, objects fall instantaenously, all the way to the ground.

Ha! That means they exceed their 30' move! They can't voluntarily move more than four times their movement in a single round! It'd be a supernatural effect then!

-Crissa

PS: Haha? :roundnround:
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

People who are in the air and do not achieve their minimum flying speed - which would be anyone who didn't have a flight speed - fall 150 feet in the first round, on their turn, and 300 feet each successive round until they pancake.

Objects do not explicitly have rules for how fast they fall, but I would assume it would tend to be about the same.

For those of you keeping track at home - this means that Greyhawk has about .25 G. This in turn means that a gallon of milk should weigh 2 pounds.

-Username17
Essence
Knight-Baron

Post by Essence »

Ah, my mistake. I looked under Falling, rather than Flying. Silly me. :tongue:
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Yeah. What were you even thinking?

-Username17