Dom3: Revenge of the Den

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

K
King

Post by K »

Calibron wrote:I wasn't gaining intelligence, I already have scouts all over the area, but whatever, if you're determined to think I am dishonorable that is your decision; I didn't have any pacts or agreements with you so I didn't feel I was under any obligations, militarily, if that's not the way you play then I'm sorry for the surprise. I wasn't lying about wanting to take the war to Ryleh, I was actually quite put off to find you had blocked my path to them as I was about to initiate the war, though I certainly don't blame you for striking as they were essentially choking your empire to death.

If I can't get to them I'll have to take you instead, simple as that. This is a war game after all. I'm having a hard time understanding why you feel "Goddamnit that guy's an asshole" as opposed to "Godmanit this sucks".
Errr, what?

Ry'leh attacked me first and took provinces I owned and tried to take my home province while trying to Dom-kill me by sitting their god on my home province. I then killed off their land forces and SC god and retook those provinces.

As for you being able to initiate a war, you are lying. I "blocked you" in the sense that I killed off all their forces on land and told you I'd be taking their last land province next turn (the one three turns of movement away from you and on the other side of my tiny empire). You never had the ability to fight them. Ever.

If you had some ability to send large forces underwater and actually attack provinces they owned, then I might have let you through to get to them, but as it stands you are being disingenuous.

If you wanted to attack me, you should just have attacked. Waiting until I had killed off all of Ry'leh's forces and then approaching under the cover story of being an ally who was only moving forces to the border to fight against a common enemy is just bad form. That kind of tactic makes you look extremely untrustworthy.

I know that I'm not going to trust any diplomacy from you. I leave it to others to make up their own minds. At this point it looks like you were going to take my provinces to get close enough for a sneak attack on my home province and never had any intention of attacking Ry'leh.

Deception and lies are the problem. Those are pretty much the definition of "untrustworthy."
Last edited by K on Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Calibron
Knight-Baron

Post by Calibron »

I've said my piece, you breaking free of Ryleh as I was about to attack was coincidental and I never lied to you or tricked you; I requested access to Ryleh and you denied me so I sent my army after you instead. If I wanted to attack you from the beginning I wouldn't have wasted all that time going around you to make a path to Ryleh, I would have simply attacked from the east and there wasn't really anything you could have done to stop me had I decided to do so.

That's my last word on the matter. Believe what you will.
Calibron
Knight-Baron

Post by Calibron »

Oh, by the way, if any of the several people I've messaged about the war with Ryleh want to corroborate my story that would be appreciated.
K
King

Post by K »

Calibron wrote:I've said my piece, you breaking free of Ryleh as I was about to attack was coincidental and I never lied to you or tricked you; I requested access to Ryleh and you denied me so I sent my army after you instead. If I wanted to attack you from the beginning I wouldn't have wasted all that time going around you to make a path to Ryleh, I would have simply attacked from the east and there wasn't really anything you could have done to stop me had I decided to do so.

That's my last word on the matter. Believe what you will.
Pretending that somehow I stopped you from fighting Ry'leh is really disingenuous. They didn't even have armies on land other than a few units that fled into other provinces when you asked to move through my territory and you'd know that if you had scouts in the area. You'd have known that there was nothing to fight.

You never even mentioned wanting to attack Ry'leh until after I killed their SC god and you saw that I was retaking my provinces and crushing their armies. There is literally no way you could have contributed to the war effort, and if you had scouts in my territory you'd know that.

You went the long way around the mountain because it looks like you were hoping to pick up some easy Ry'leh provinces now that I had taken out their land armies and you wanted to position yourself for a double-cross on me. If you had scouts you would have known that Ry'leh never had a lot of provinces and you were never going to get any freebies.

As far as I can tell, the only reason you didn't attack from the east is because you were afraid that you'd actually run into Ry'leh armies circling my home province and I wouldn't buy a story about you building up forces on my eastern border for an attack on them.

I'm not actually upset about the attack. The protestations of innocence or that somehow it's my fault are a little offensive, though.
K
King

Post by K »

Calibron wrote:Oh, by the way, if any of the several people I've messaged about the war with Ryleh want to corroborate my story that would be appreciated.
LOL. What are they going to say? At best they can only confirm that you said that you only intended to attack Ry'leh. You could have been lying to them too.

That's what being untrustworthy is all about. Getting people to trust the truth of your words and about your intentions and getting them to rely on that and then doing the opposite. It means that people should not believe you when you talk about your intentions.

I mean, if I hadn't trusted your stated intentions I could have had an army and province defense waiting for you and the easy victory you had could have been a bloodbath instead.

You've exchanged your reputation for a slight military advantage. I hope that works out for you.
Last edited by K on Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:23 am, edited 3 times in total.
Calibron
Knight-Baron

Post by Calibron »

Please, continue slandering me over a misunderstanding in a computer game, it is the best use of both our time.

If you really feel the need to continue harassing me please have the decency to do so over PM and stop shitting up this previously entertaining thread.
Last edited by Calibron on Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
K
King

Post by K »

Calibron wrote:Please, continue slandering me over a misunderstanding in a computer game, it is the best use of both our time.

If you really feel the need to continue harassing me please have the decency to do so over PM and stop shitting up this previously entertaining thread.
Misunderstanding? Really? Not a double-cross?

Did I misunderstand your message where you said that the build-up of forces was not a prelude to an attack on me but for an attack on a mutual enemy, or did you misunderstand the idea that lying in a message to get a surprise attack might make you look untrustworthy in a game that relies heavily on diplomacy?

Pretending to be the injured party is probably not your your best move here.
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

Turn Sent

"All quiet on the Patalan Front".

And fuck this whining and drama.

Real Men (Tm) die standing when facing elephants! :p
Last edited by Zinegata on Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Orca
Knight-Baron

Post by Orca »

IMO if there's a choice of interpretations between "deeply laid plans" and "communications fuckup" you should go with the latter every time. Most people just won't put that much work into being evil.

e.g. I should probably have warned Calibron that LA T'ien Ch'i gets province defence that can easily rout deer tribe archers, and he'd need more than that to complete a province exchange. It wasn't a deeply laid evil plan or anything, I just didn't think to mention it.
K
King

Post by K »

Zinegata wrote:Turn Sent

"All quiet on the Patalan Front".

And fuck this whining and drama.

Real Men (Tm) die standing when facing elephants! :p
I've taken it to PM, but I don't think he's ever going to understand why offering to be someone's ally and attacking them the same turn might seem deceptive.
Shiritai
Knight-Baron

Post by Shiritai »

Zinegata wrote:Real Men (Tm) die standing when facing elephants! :p
I second that sentiment!
Last edited by Shiritai on Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Akula
Knight-Baron

Post by Akula »

Here guys.

I know that some people were calling for a world wide crusade against Ermor earlier. Given that the Marignon crusade against Ermor has begun you too can add your name to the crusade. All it requires is:
  • A donation of gold to the inquisition.
    A supply item so that your valiant crusaders stop starving.
    Blood slaves for convincing the populace that death is not the answer.
    Fire gems so that the mighty mages of marignon can send fire from the very sky to smite the vile undead.
Marignon will pay any donations back once Ermor is finished.
K
King

Post by K »

My apologies, folks. I promise you won't have to invoke the mighty drama llama on my behalf again in this game.
Calibron
Knight-Baron

Post by Calibron »

I thought only MA T'ien Ch'i got conscription, my mistake, ignore that angry in-character message/demand then, Orca.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Hey, one of my provinces hates my undead and is dropping holy fire on them. How concerned should I be about sending in my pretender to site-search?
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

NOT AT ALL.

Actually, if it's in your dominion he'll spring back to life, right?
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
Akula
Knight-Baron

Post by Akula »

angelfromanotherpin wrote:Hey, one of my provinces hates my undead and is dropping holy fire on them. How concerned should I be about sending in my pretender to site-search?
It is a % chance to take 10 AN damage, pretender should survive if you have a reasonably strong dominion.
K
King

Post by K »

Akula wrote:
angelfromanotherpin wrote:Hey, one of my provinces hates my undead and is dropping holy fire on them. How concerned should I be about sending in my pretender to site-search?
It is a % chance to take 10 AN damage, pretender should survive if you have a reasonably strong dominion.
The problem is possibly getting afflictions. As a lich you will regen from them, but I'm sure you don't want to spend a lot of time with the "Lost head" affliction.
K
King

Post by K »

Gath is offering a NAP-3 with Ry'leh and Argartha. Please refuse or accept in this thread.
Last edited by K on Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shiritai
Knight-Baron

Post by Shiritai »

The stars themselves may align themselves against us, but we shall not fall without a fight!

-Desna, prophet of Abdul Alhazred II

Sure, I may not be ahead, but at least I have two arms.
Yunno, unlike that prince of death guy.

-Abdul Alhazred II, the Old Old One, King of Kings, Lord of Metals
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

Shiritai wrote:
Zinegata wrote:Real Men (Tm) die standing when facing elephants! :p
I second that sentiment!
I see Atlantis is also experiencing Elephant (Mammoth) love too. Yes, we really have spies everywhere :p.

Also, our apologies to the Agarthan diplomatic corps. There was an unfortunate misidenfication of your scout that wandered along the Patalan border. We are willing to pay restitutions.

---

Also, re the Marignon crusade against the undead:

We're kinda busy right now. Please call again later! :p
TheNotSoEvilNecromancer
Journeyman

Post by TheNotSoEvilNecromancer »

The New Ktonian...

...Climb Upward

Representatives of Agartha and the nation of Gath have signed an historic agreement today that promises a lasting peace between our peoples.

The Treaty of Rotmarsh as it will be called has signed into law a Nonagression Pact between the two nations that promises to minimize bloodshed and lead a brighter future.

The Pact between the nations is scheduled to last for an indefinite period for as long as as specified mutually antagonistic forces exist to threaten both powers. Further Agarthan troops will establish a temporary peacekeeping force between historically disputed territories in the interests of advancing both nations' progressive aspirations.
jimbojones1971
Journeyman

Post by jimbojones1971 »

K wrote:As a lich you will regen from them, but I'm sure you don't want to spend a lot of time with the "Lost head" affliction.
Is that a real affliction? Because that would be very amusing :-D
K
King

Post by K »

jimbojones1971 wrote:
K wrote:As a lich you will regen from them, but I'm sure you don't want to spend a lot of time with the "Lost head" affliction.
Is that a real affliction? Because that would be very amusing :-D
Oh, it totally is. There is a short list of weird afflictions that only certain mobs can get.
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

Human units in Dominion obviously can't have a lost head affliction without going into the dead pile, but some monsters can survive losing their head.

In the case of Hydras, I think they can even suffer this affliction multiple times.