Dom3: Revenge of the Den

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

cthulhu
Duke

Post by cthulhu »

Zinegata wrote:Pffft. Complaining about a random event? I have a dozen elephants coming after my ass! :p
Yeah, you brought that on yourself.
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

I blame geography. :p
K
King

Post by K »

Ha. I have fortune tellers and my labs are still getting burned down and my home province hit by unrest events. I declare your bad luck events to be "weak sauce."
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

Yeah, what did K do to the RNG to warrant this?

Sucky starting position, started beside R'yleh, then an unremitting parade of bad luck events even with Fortune Tellers.
Akula
Knight-Baron

Post by Akula »

It must have involved a life draining tentacle. :P
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

Hmmm, still have to open the file later, but looks like this is a "Just as planned" turn.

Also, given the army size bump I may have just gotten a horde of bums with spears who are asking me for a monthly stipend -_-
Last edited by Zinegata on Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
cthulhu
Duke

Post by cthulhu »

K wrote:Ha. I have fortune tellers and my labs are still getting burned down and my home province hit by unrest events. I declare your bad luck events to be "weak sauce."

I had a MP MA ryleh game with turn 2 bad omen, unrest event, unrest event 96 unrest on turn 5 woohoo.
Ikeren
Knight-Baron

Post by Ikeren »

I have also now purchased this game due to hype seen on this forum, though it might be months before I play with anything resembling competence.
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

Turn Sent.
Rabelais
Journeyman

Post by Rabelais »

neither firefox or chrome is letting me attach files to my yahoo outgoing mail. it never completes . so even though I have done my turn, I can't submit it. Can we delay a few hours while I figure this out?
K
King

Post by K »

Rabelais wrote:neither firefox or chrome is letting me attach files to my yahoo outgoing mail. it never completes . so even though I have done my turn, I can't submit it. Can we delay a few hours while I figure this out?
Maybe get a Gmail account? It might just be yahoo.

Of course, I think that means you have to change the player at the llama server.
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

I always use I.E. myself.
TheNotSoEvilNecromancer
Journeyman

Post by TheNotSoEvilNecromancer »

Speaking of Abysia, they still have yet to fulfill their end of the bargain. >:C
Orca
Knight-Baron

Post by Orca »

Zinegata wrote:Also, given the army size bump I may have just gotten a horde of bums with spears who are asking me for a monthly stipend -_-
Hah. I've had that happen three times this game. Luck isn't all it's cracked up to be.
Rabelais
Journeyman

Post by Rabelais »

TheNotSoEvilNecromancer wrote:Speaking of Abysia, they still have yet to fulfill their end of the bargain. >:C
Turn Sent, What bargain? Did I miss an offer?
Gnosticism Is A Hoot
Knight

Post by Gnosticism Is A Hoot »

CARNAGE IN GARILLON

Breaking report from the Winged News Network!*

After a year of escalating border tensions and the breakdown of diplomatic negotiations, an Atlantian invasion army has been utterly crushed by the Great Patriotic Mammoths of the defence force. Eyewitnesses claim that as many as four of the mighty beasts gave their lives in defence of their beloved homeland, while almost seventy Eskimo fishmen perished under their mighty feet. When asked for comment, the Caelum representative said,

'They may not have wings, but those mammoths are pretty nifty.'

He also expressed confidence in Caelum's eventual victory, and said he looked forward to 'a pleasant little getaway vacation on the Coast of Ice and Bones. I may even bring a few friends with me. Woolly ones.'

Fighting continues. More bulletins as events warrant.

*Fair and Balanced, unless you don't have wings, in which case, nyeh nyeh.
The soul is the prison of the body.

- Michel Foucault, Discipline & Punish
TheNotSoEvilNecromancer
Journeyman

Post by TheNotSoEvilNecromancer »

Well, with that debacle in Atlantis it's starting to look like somewhere below the ocean is where that nation of fishfolk want to be... :cool:

And now for a human interest story brought to you by The New Ktonian...

UNLEASHED ULMISH GAIN GATH GROUND!

The powderkeg that is the wartorn South East has erupted once again as Gath, only recently freed from the iron grip of R'lyeh's tentacles, is once more invaded by a foreign power, Ulm. Will these noble cannibalistic southern giants ever know peace?

When asked for comment on what sparked Ulmish hostilities one Ulmish general replied in his barbaric foreign tongue with what we can only assume was a diatribe about bratwurst or a grotesque fairy tale in which children are brutalized and eaten.

No Gath giant could be reached for comment so instead we interviewed a Jotun from Utgard. When asked to comment on the situation, the massive humanoid stated that "this is a complex issue, with many varying sides and requiring a deep analysis that doesn't lend itself to easy categorization of the actors involved." We can only assume that he then swilled a gulp of mead out of a bear skull and sang a bawdy tune.
Calibron
Knight-Baron

Post by Calibron »

While the Nascent Nation of Ultimately Unstoppable Ulm appreciates affective alliteration in the preceding period piece, the Auspicious Council of Burghers must take issue with how our Expertly Equipped Empire is portrayed. Truly ours is a mission of peace and good will. Too long have we seen the humans of Gath deluded and treated as cattle or mere tools of their giant oppressors. Under the protection of the Great God Krampus, Culler of Youth, Minister of Eternity, Shepperd of Stars, Heir of Void, the peoples now under the heel of Gathanite oppression will live as free men and so be free to spread the glory of Mighty Ulm, primarily on the battlefield, as all men yearn to in their heart of hearts. May peace and goodwill last a thousand years.

-Gartheld, First Councilor and Secretary to the Great God Krampus, Arbiter Supreme, Bringer of Rest, Guardian of the Gates, The Bitter Draught
Last edited by Calibron on Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
K
King

Post by K »

Well, it looks like Ulm has decided to attack me under the pretense of diplomacy. Apparently, after asking for rights to move through my tiny territory to fight Ryleh and then hearing that I had completely pushed back the Ry'leh armies and that their aid was not needed in any way, they decided that a sneak attack was in order.

And my lab has burned down again. Next time I'm putting the damned Fortune Tellers in it so that they can be rewarded for their awful prediction abilities.
Last edited by K on Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Calibron
Knight-Baron

Post by Calibron »

I'm sorry you consider it a sneak attack. You denied my request so I figured I was under no specific obligations. I'm out of independents to conquer and I can't just let this army sit here and rot can I? Nothing personal just striking while the iron is hot, so to speak.
K
King

Post by K »

Calibron wrote:I'm sorry you consider it a sneak attack. You denied my request so I figured I was under no specific obligations. I'm out of independents to conquer and I can't just let this army sit here and rot can I? Nothing personal just striking while the iron is hot, so to speak.
Yeh, when you are conducting negotiations for the sole purpose of getting intelligence on troop movements in the area and to lull me into a false sense of security about the troops on my border, then you are doing so under bad faith. Pretending to be an ally and then attacking is bad form.

And that's why it's a sneak attack and you are a dishonorable player. At this point it's fair to assume that any diplomacy on your part is just lies.

Whatever. Unlike Ry'leh, I can actually press any advantage I gain in the coming war.
Last edited by K on Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Akula
Knight-Baron

Post by Akula »

Drama, wonderful.
Calibron
Knight-Baron

Post by Calibron »

I wasn't gaining intelligence, I already have scouts all over the area, but whatever, if you're determined to think I am dishonorable that is your decision; I didn't have any pacts or agreements with you so I didn't feel I was under any obligations, militarily, if that's not the way you play then I'm sorry for the surprise. I wasn't lying about wanting to take the war to Ryleh, I was actually quite put off to find you had blocked my path to them as I was about to initiate the war, though I certainly don't blame you for striking as they were essentially choking your empire to death.

If I can't get to them I'll have to take you instead, simple as that. This is a war game after all. I'm having a hard time understanding why you feel "Goddamnit that guy's an asshole" as opposed to "Goddamnit this sucks".
Last edited by Calibron on Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jimbojones1971
Journeyman

Post by jimbojones1971 »

TheNotSoEvilNecromancer wrote:Well, with that debacle in Atlantis it's starting to look like somewhere below the ocean is where that nation of fishfolk want to be... :cool:

And now for a human interest story brought to you by The New Ktonian...

UNLEASHED ULMISH GAIN GATH GROUND!

The powderkeg that is the wartorn South East has erupted once again as Gath, only recently freed from the iron grip of R'lyeh's tentacles, is once more invaded by a foreign power, Ulm. Will these noble cannibalistic southern giants ever know peace?

When asked for comment on what sparked Ulmish hostilities one Ulmish general replied in his barbaric foreign tongue with what we can only assume was a diatribe about bratwurst or a grotesque fairy tale in which children are brutalized and eaten.

No Gath giant could be reached for comment so instead we interviewed a Jotun from Utgard. When asked to comment on the situation, the massive humanoid stated that "this is a complex issue, with many varying sides and requiring a deep analysis that doesn't lend itself to easy categorization of the actors involved." We can only assume that he then swilled a gulp of mead out of a bear skull and sang a bawdy tune.
I love these live news feeds :-)

<Returns to watching TV and sipping mead froma bear skull>
jimbojones1971
Journeyman

Post by jimbojones1971 »

Akula wrote:Drama, wonderful.
This game seems to inspire a lot of rage, indeed downright fury. I think that is half of the attraction - if you aren't the one being boned, it is strangely hypnotic to watch from a close range.