Dom3: Revenge of the Den

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Calibron
Knight-Baron

Post by Calibron »

There's no saved games folder in the dominions directory is the problem, but that's okay I fixed it. I uninstalled the game and reinstalled it under a different...path?(i am not good with computer!) And this directory actually has a saved games folder.
cthulhu
Duke

Post by cthulhu »

Calibron wrote:There's no saved games folder in the dominions directory is the problem, but that's okay I fixed it. I uninstalled the game and reinstalled it under a different...path?(i am not good with computer!) And this directory actually has a saved games folder.
There is, it's just hidden in the windows virtual store.

Your solution is, however, a perfectly fine solution for circumventing the same issue.
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

Orca wrote:I think Gnost. has switched his preferred nation to Caelum, which should let Akula take Marignon if he wishes.
Gnost. do you confirm that? So I can update the first post.
TheNotSoEvilNecromancer
Journeyman

Post by TheNotSoEvilNecromancer »

If you're still accepting folks I'm interested in joining as either:

1) Agartha
2) Pangaea
3) Arcoscephale
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

You are in, I'll update the first post later.
Gnosticism Is A Hoot
Knight

Post by Gnosticism Is A Hoot »

Korwin wrote:
Orca wrote:I think Gnost. has switched his preferred nation to Caelum, which should let Akula take Marignon if he wishes.
Gnost. do you confirm that? So I can update the first post.
Confirmed. My first choice is Caelum.
The soul is the prison of the body.

- Michel Foucault, Discipline & Punish
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

Kaelik wrote:That generous Forum goer is a real nice guy I hear.
I suspect you heard wrong on both counts.
Akula
Knight-Baron

Post by Akula »

Gnosticism Is A Hoot wrote:Confirmed. My first choice is Caelum.
In this case, I will take Marignon.
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

TheNotSoEvilNecromancer wrote:If you're still accepting folks I'm interested in joining as either:

1) Agartha
2) Pangaea
3) Arcoscephale
Updated first post. I suppose 1) is your first priority? If not, tell me and I change it in the first post.

Changed Akula to Marignon and Gnosticism Is A Hoot to Caelum.
Rabelais wrote:Looking for a good game. Let me know if there is a slot? Thanks.
I wrote Rabelais an PM.
Rabelais
Journeyman

Post by Rabelais »

I will upload a pretender if the slot is still open (did you let someone else in above?) I will upload something by tonight. Probably Pangaea or Arco. It's been so long since I played with vanilla pretenders, I need to find something that's still cheap!

Thanks, looking forward to the game.
TheNotSoEvilNecromancer
Journeyman

Korwin wrote:
Updated first post. I suppose 1) is your first priority? If not, tell me and I change it in the first post.
Yes, that's right, pretender submitted. For a while I had the same save problem as Calibron. Strange, I never could find the appdata folder or virtual store or wherever my saves were going, yet the seemed to be going somewhere. I managed to fix it roughly the same way: by reinstalling the game to an external hard drive.

On a side note, just for clarity's sake how are we handling diplomacy, solely through the in-game messaging, through the den, some combination, or anything goes?
cthulhu
Duke

Post by cthulhu »

You need to click 'compatibility files' for the love of god. The button is like right there! ;)

Diplomacy in the last game was anything goes and I am in favour of this.
TheNotSoEvilNecromancer
Journeyman

That sounds good to me, I just wanted to make sure.

And if mods are still on the table I'd like to offer a completely unnecessary one that is purely aesthetic and in no way alters game balance:

http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=46568

Just joking!

http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=39989

We're not doing single age so it's sort of irrelevant, I just think they're pretty.
Last edited by TheNotSoEvilNecromancer on Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

I think we're allowed to use any and all kinds of messaging for diplo, are we not?

I will also note that it's important - when negotiating - to ask if the other party wishes to keep the talks confidential or not.

Kinda embarassing if one party declares "We have a NAP!" and the partner goes "That was supposed to be a secret, dummy!" :P
Orca
Knight-Baron

Post by Orca »

I'm fine with the banner change mod and/or Akula's arena change mod.
K
King

Post by K »

Ok, sending pretender.
Last edited by K on Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

I'd prefer not to add any more mods.
cthulhu
Duke

Post by cthulhu »

Game's already up guys, we're not adding any mods. Suck it up.
jimbojones1971
Journeyman

Post by jimbojones1971 »

cthulhu wrote:
Calibron wrote:I'm trying to set up so I can join the server, but I've run into a snag; I can't find my saved games anywhere in my dominions 3 directory. Anyone else know of this problem?

I'm running windows 7 64bit if that matters.
Yup, go to the directory where you installed dominions 3 (probably c:\program files (x86)\dominions3) via clicking on the my computer icon (NOT USING EXPLORER)

look up at the top of the window near where the location information is. there will be a button labelled 'compatibility files'

Click that and the main window pane will change to show you a number of files - including your saved game directory.
What he said. I've got vista, and had exactly the same experience.
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

Hmmm, should we set a deadline for new players coming in and Pretender submission?

Would be nice to know when we are more or less starting for reals so people can clear their skeds for the first couple of turns.

Also, with the growing number of players this is going to be very epic... or a clusterfuck quagmire of epic proportions.

FUN. :thumb:
Calibron
Knight-Baron

Post by Calibron »

I just hope I don't start next to Gath/K.
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

I just hope whoever I start near with doesn't want to kill his neighbors on sight.

Please don't kill me. I'm cute. So cute that even Kaelik apparently wants my hot body. :biggrin:
Last edited by Zinegata on Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
Orca
Knight-Baron

Post by Orca »

Are your people soft, civilized weak men, Zine? Perhaps you should pay tribute to the true men of the steppes ...

Seriously, let's wait and see where the hell we are before negotiating.
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

Orca wrote:Are your people soft, civilized weak men, Zine? Perhaps you should pay tribute to the true men of the steppes ...
My entire national culture is apparently devoted to building big walls, hiding behind them, and saying "Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!" to invadng armies. :D
Seriously, let's wait and see where the hell we are before negotiating.
Yeah, I really enjoy the diplomacy aspect of multiplayer games and am anxious to see the start locations.
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

Rabelais wrote:I will upload a pretender if the slot is still open (did you let someone else in above?) I will upload something by tonight. Probably Pangaea or Arco. It's been so long since I played with vanilla pretenders, I need to find something that's still cheap!

Thanks, looking forward to the game.
Upload your pretender. I added one slot.
(and +1 VP for the win)