[Non-political] News that makes you Laugh/Cry/Both...

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Does this mean they can be prosecuted for rape and put in prison?
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Koumei wrote:Does this mean they can be prosecuted for rape and put in prison?
I'm pretty sure that people can already be put in prison for raping dolphins.

And I bet Hank Hill would sleep better knowing that dolphins could go to prison.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Blicero
Duke

Post by Blicero »

CatharzGodfoot wrote:
Koumei wrote:Does this mean they can be prosecuted for rape and put in prison?
I'm pretty sure that people can already be put in prison for raping dolphins.

I suspect that Koumei was asking if dolphins can now be put in prison for raping other dolphins. (And if she isn't, I am now.)
Out beyond the hull, mucoid strings of non-baryonic matter streamed past like Christ's blood in the firmament.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Yes. I meant "Does this mean that dolphins can be prosecuted for raping (humans/other dolphins)?"

Hmm. Think a guilty charge for dolphins who torture and murder porpoises means the dolphin goes to the chip shop?
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Koumei wrote:Yes. I meant "Does this mean that dolphins can be prosecuted for raping (humans/other dolphins)?"

Hmm. Think a guilty charge for dolphins who torture and murder porpoises means the dolphin goes to the chip shop?
That's cool, as long as humans who torture and murder porpoises end up at the Fleet Street pie shop.

Seriously, though, it's more reasonable to have them do a short stint in prison and then go back to playing professional footballflukeball.
Last edited by CatharzGodfoot on Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

I dunno, apparently dolphins are delicious. Are humans delicious?

But really, I want to see more dolphins in prisons (obviously with pool things so they don't die) for their actions!
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Wait.... would personhood make dolphin fucking legal? I'm just curious here, it's not like I'm going to run out with a snorkal and some lube, but it's a question that comes to my mind...
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Okay, can you guys shut up about personhood thing. It's utter bullshit, and everything you have said so far makes no fucking sense, and Prak is so fucking close to oWoD dog rape.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Kaelik wrote:everything you have said so far makes no fucking sense,
If they are considered people, what does this mean? Does it mean they are covered by the same rights and laws as humans, and thus can be criminally charged?

Now if it is just this idea floating around that we should call them people but no actual change... w/e. If it means they're illegal to kill... I was under the impression that was already the case.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Koumei wrote:Now if it is just this idea floating around that we should call them people but no actual change... w/e. If it means they're illegal to kill... I was under the impression that was already the case.
If only...
-Anatole France

Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Koumei wrote:Now if it is just this idea floating around that we should call them people but no actual change... w/e. If it means they're illegal to kill... I was under the impression that was already the case.
A) it's only this idea floating around.

B) The idea is stupid, and based on stupid assumptions, like the assumption that personhood is qualified for based on intelligence. Which we all know is false, because I can strangle my cat, but not Glenn Beck, and my cat can ring fucking door bells to be let inside, Glenn Beck just rants about Obama keeping him out.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Kaelik wrote: B) The idea is stupid, and based on stupid assumptions, like the assumption that personhood is qualified for based on intelligence. Which we all know is false, because I can strangle my cat, but not Glenn Beck, and my cat can ring fucking door bells to be let inside, Glenn Beck just rants about Obama keeping him out.
That's a really valid point. My dog is pretty clever (aside from when he elects to be stupid), I could see him outsmarting Palin yet she's the one with the rights and ability to be elected to a position of power.

My dog would be awesome as PM of Australia though. He'd solve the "Nation of fatties" problem by demanding WALKIES ALL THE TIME.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Koumei wrote:
Kaelik wrote:everything you have said so far makes no fucking sense,
If they are considered people, what does this mean? Does it mean they are covered by the same rights and laws as humans, and thus can be criminally charged?

Now if it is just this idea floating around that we should call them people but no actual change... w/e. If it means they're illegal to kill... I was under the impression that was already the case.
It has implications in how we interact with them. So yes, killing one would be murder. Other than that... I have no clue. But it's telling that chimps are thought to be capable of reaching a mental development level equal to that of a three year old, and dolphins are apparently far enough beyond that to possibly warrant being called persons.

Apparently part of the argument is an ability to learn from others' examples, like, the article mentions a case of a wild dolphin being rehabilitated after injury, and being taught to tail walk in that time. After it was released, other wild dolphins started learning to tail walk from it.

Of course if that's a reason for person-hood, then, yeah, dogs and cats, and even crows should get it too.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

I'll be convinced that dolphins should be considered 'people' once someone shows that they have grammar. Or even if they just say 'Tell us killing Japanese stop please".
-Anatole France

Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

PoliteNewb
Duke

Post by PoliteNewb »

Koumei wrote:I dunno, apparently dolphins are delicious. Are humans delicious?
I'm told we are. Don't know from personal experience, but there are accounts from cannibals that say human flesh is the bomb. Granted, my memory of this is sketchy and comes from Michael Crichton's novel "Congo", so take it with a grain of salt.
I am judging the philosophies and decisions you have presented in this thread. The ones I have seen look bad, and also appear to be the fruit of a poisonous tree that has produced only madness and will continue to produce only madness.

--AngelFromAnotherPin

believe in one hand and shit in the other and see which ones fills up quicker. it will be the one you are full of, shit.

--Shadzar
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

Dick Winters has died.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Last edited by CatharzGodfoot on Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Anatole France

Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

I want to get a doctorate in enraging monkeys.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

I discussed fighting monkeys with a teacher, does that count?
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

This seems relevant, 51, here

RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

Darth Rabbitt wrote:I discussed fighting monkeys with a teacher, does that count?
Honorary Bachelor's degree. Now, just get to work on your thesis and get your Master's Degree!
tzor
Prince

Six reasons why US is only 9th most free economy

Post by tzor »

Six reasons America is only the ninth-most free economy in the world
The Heritage Foundation, a Washington, D.C.-based free market think tank, along with the Wall Street Journal, released its 17th annual Index of Economic Freedom. While the report contains a lot of good news for less-developed nations with emerging economies around the world, the picture isn’t so good for the United States.

For the second year in a row, the U.S. has actually fallen in economic freedom, from a score of 78.0 to 77.8, at a time when more than half of the countries around the world experienced an increase in their economic freedom ranking. The U.S. currently ranks as the 9th freest country economically, but its score puts it in the “mostly free,” only the second best category to be in.

According to the list, the U.S ranks behind Hong Kong, Singapore, Australia, New Zealand, Switzerland, Canada, Ireland and Denmark, in that order.

According to the study’s authors, America’s response to the economic downturn is responsible for the U.S.’s poor performance.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Tzor, this is the non-political thread.