Relics and Rituals

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Relics and Rituals

Post by fbmf »

I know very little of Sword and Sorcery, and what little I have been exposed to I was not very happy with.

Anyway, a DM I will be playing with uses this book. Anything I need to be wary of and/or bitch about right up front?

Game On,
fbmf

Username17
Serious Badass

Re: Relics and Rituals

Post by Username17 »

I've never taken that book seriously. Any book with a preface from Gygax makes my skin crawl.

In any case, Relics and Rituals was written by people who make Andy Collins look like he has a good grasp of game mechanics. It's full of lines like this:
and must be from a living creature (no oozes, constructs, or undead)

:wtf: Last time I checked, most Oozes were living creatures. They seem to mean "from a creature with a discernable anatomy" - but that's a different classification than they actually say.

Here's a list of the PrCs:

Blood Witch Horribly broken. You get save DCs that are 10 + your caster level - which is straight up nuts.

Crypt Lord: Not so much overpowered as incomprehensible. And I mean that. I'll start with the fact that it gives you a bonus on any Transmutation Spell that you can convince your DM is kind of like a Necromancy spell. Then I'll move on to the ability where you can make any kind of undead creature you want with a CR up to your own character level - which seems to include the ability to simply raise your friends from the dead. Also the class' 10th level ability is that you get a small amount of money if you haven't already turned yourself into a Lich.

Incarnate: You wake up every morning to get kicked in the balls. Then you get kicked in the balls some more. It actually has a class feature where you can't be brought back from the dead. How this is supposed to be advantageous I have no idea.

Penumbral Lord: It's too weak and too strong. You have to start your spellcasting over again after already taking casting to 7th level. Then you suck for a while, but get new spells twice as fast, so you get to 9th level spells at the same level you would have anyway. In the meantime, you have a character who specializes in Shadow Conjuration. Do I have to draw you a diagram? BTW, he also has an infinite spellcasting loop.

Sea Witch: This class is dreadful and incomprehensible. They get to share spells "Alter Self" with inanimate objects somehow.

Summoner: The first level ability is that all of your Summoning Spells are quickened for free. I'm not sure how I feel about that. The class doesn't really give any other meaningful abilities, so it's really just one level long.

Vigilant: You get a bunch of bonus feats. These bonus feats are "Toughness" and "Great Fortitude". I wish I was kidding, but I'm not.

The spells are divided into Flavor Text and Game Effects - which is a great thing that all spells should do. Unfortunately the game effects leave something to be desired. Consider the spell Alibi - a very cool concept spell which makes people remember being with you even though they weren't.

But the Material components are:
A small mirror left with one of the spell's targets or in the location of your alibi's presence.

What? A material component, by definition, has to be touched by you while casting the spell and is destroyed during the casting. So how could you possibly leave it anywhere? The book is full of stuff like that. Places where the rules of the game and the terms used in the book don't match to the point of making it non-functional.

If a DM is using it straight, prepare for a rollercoaster of off-the-cuff rulings.

-Username17
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

On further reading: this book makes you play a divine caster.

You get all kinds of crazy goodness, especially if you are a Druid. Seriously, there is no reason to play an Arcane Caster in the Scarred Lands, when being a Druid is just better.

There is a second level druid spell that gives you all of the feats of an animal for 12 hours. Go ahead and look through the Monster Manual and see what that entails - it's pretty funny.

-Username17
RandomCasualty
Prince

Post by RandomCasualty »

I didn't think the book was that bad. It does have the problem of not being very mechanically well written as Frank pointed out, but balance wise, it doesn't strike me as any worse than any other book.

There are spells and PrCs you've got to watch out for also as Frank pointed out, but as a whole it's about as well balanced as most of the splat books, better than DotF and S&S by far.

If you don't mind a book that does creative stuff that somewhat breaks the rules, then you'll like it.

The main peice of advice I do have to add with this book is to be prepared to add on stuff when you have to. Many of the items don't give their bonuses types, meaning you'll have to assign types to them. The flavor is cool, but take the mechanics with a grain of salt and don't try to play it RAW.
MrWaeseL
Duke

Post by MrWaeseL »

When I buy a new book, I buy it for solid (non-broken) rules, not flavor. I can make that up myself.
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

I played a game that used this book once. You have to remember, it came out at about the same time as the 3.0 DMG/PHB, and is therefore full of errors, omissions, and misconceptions (like the magic item prices). A lot of the ideas a pretty cool. I really like the Incarnate and Penumbral lord conceptally, but this was before I had really gotten a handle on the game's rules. There is one spell to really look out for, a Druid spell that creates a cone of thorns. The damage is reduced by the target's armor bonus (a really odd mechanic), but still does decent damage. And it has a range of Long Basically, this is a spell that will take out any low-armor bonus, lower-level creatures. As a hordebraker, it is broken. And it is like level 2 or something

-Catharz Godsfoot.
Ramnza
Associate Fence Builder

Post by Ramnza »

What do you guys think of some of the relic items. Such as the Elkhorn Bow on page 215?