To lift the ban, or not to lift the ban?

Practice posts and questions about the boards. The registration code for this board is 'Th3G@m|ngD3n' (Note the use of numbers and symbols!)

Moderator: Moderators

violence in the media
Duke

Post by violence in the media »

In that they're equally contentious topics, I'm guessing.
For Valor
Knight-Baron

Post by For Valor »

Vnonymous wrote:All I can gather from the various arguments is that women are centaurs.

Personally I'm in favour of lifting the ban and simply creating a few "free for all" threads in MPSIMS that are unmoderated save for posts/chains of posts that actually disrupt the workings of the forums.

Of course, in order to stop this from spilling into the rest of the forums you'd want to have some sort of forced anonymity thing for those threads...

Maybe a forum where the username field is invisible to people who aren't moderators, for all of those heated discussions?
People have pointed out reasoning against this before.

a) You can identify people by their literary voice, so invisible usernames doesn't help all that much

b) One of the biggest problems is people getting pissed. No usernames won't help with that.

c) That means more work...

d) People like Frank totally put their name in every post they make. You cannot stop people from advertising their name just to be an asshat.
Mask wrote:And for the love of all that is good and unholy, just get a fucking hippogrif mount and pretend its a flying worg.
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

[The Great Fence Builder Speaks]
The ban is hereby lifted, but management reserves the right to put it back into effect at our discretion.
[/TGFBS]
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

Vnonymous wrote: Of course, in order to stop this from spilling into the rest of the forums you'd want to have some sort of forced anonymity thing for those threads...

Maybe a forum where the username field is invisible to people who aren't moderators, for all of those heated discussions?
Dude, have you been on /b/ or /r9k/ lately? That's a terrible idea; especially since as FV pointed out we know how everybody writes. It would do nothing but make more work for no benefit.
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

fbmf wrote:[The Great Fence Builder Speaks]
The ban is hereby lifted, but management reserves the right to put it back into effect at our discretion.
[/TGFBS]
Was the requirement for a politics tag on posts ever firmly decided?
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

[The Great Fence Builder Speaks]
Let's go with a politics tag.
[/TGFBS]
Draco_Argentum
Duke

Post by Draco_Argentum »

Some form of software enforced block on multiposting would probably fix things.

An annoying poster can be ignored. A spammer can't even with ignore. As Elennsar showed once a thread is taken over its rendered useless for everyone else. If we could stop one person from taking a thread over we'd be well out in front.

One of TDG's selling points is the small post rate, it lets you have a say on a topic rather than getting lost in the other 300 posts today.

A post frequency limit might even force people to write better posts since it would turn a post into a limited resource that you wouldn't want to waste on an ill thought out reply that won't convince anyone.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Draco_Argentum wrote:Some form of software enforced block on multiposting would probably fix things.

An annoying poster can be ignored. A spammer can't even with ignore. As Elennsar showed once a thread is taken over its rendered useless for everyone else. If we could stop one person from taking a thread over we'd be well out in front.

One of TDG's selling points is the small post rate, it lets you have a say on a topic rather than getting lost in the other 300 posts today.

A post frequency limit might even force people to write better posts since it would turn a post into a limited resource that you wouldn't want to waste on an ill thought out reply that won't convince anyone.
I don't think a post frequency limit is a good idea.

It's seems impossible to balance it so that one person posting no where else can't take over a thread, but that people who post in multiple forums under multiple discussions all at the same time (like, on their lunch break) wouldn't be hampered.

Seems better to just say "Fuck you, you are the last post in this thread, so you can't post, go edit your last post."
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Juton
Duke

Post by Juton »

I kind of like the idea of blocking double posts, partly because every one's internet connection goes bad from time-to-time and partly because it will cut down on spamming. But to reduce spam we'd have to punish sock-puppeting, I have no problem with that, but is that something the community would agree to?
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Actually, problem with double post blocks.

All the Tomes, and a fair number of "designing X" thread are doubleposterific.

Maybe allow it until someone else has posted in the thread? Not sure how hard that would be.

Though frankly, I'm not terribly upset about how it is now.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

Kaelik wrote:Actually, problem with double post blocks.

Maybe allow it until someone else has posted in the thread? Not sure how hard that would be.
I was thinking the same thing.
IGTN
Knight-Baron

Post by IGTN »

ubernoob wrote:

Alternately, if it's easy to program it that way, the double-post blocker might check which subforum you're in, and allow double-posts in IMOI (possibly only for the original poster).
"No, you can't burn the inn down. It's made of solid fire."
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

IGTN wrote:
ubernoob wrote:

Alternately, if it's easy to program it that way, the double-post blocker might check which subforum you're in, and allow double-posts in IMOI (possibly only for the original poster).
Well, the Tomes, along with for example Tiers and Levels, are in HO

Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

The doubleposting only occurs due to post length limits. If that were raised the problem would go away. I don't think the Den has ever had a problem with super long spam posts.
Draco_Argentum wrote:
Mister_Sinister wrote:Clearly, your cock is part of the big barrel the server's busy sucking on.
Can someone tell it to stop using its teeth please?
Juton wrote:Damn, I thought [Pathfailure] accidentally created a feat worth taking, my mistake.
Koumei wrote:Shad, please just punch yourself in the face until you are too dizzy to type. I would greatly appreciate that.
Kaelik wrote:No, bad liar. Stop lying.
Standard Paizil Fare/Fail (SPF) Type I - doing exactly the opposite of what they said they would do.
Standard Paizil Fare/Fail (SPF) Type II - change for the sake of change.
Standard Paizil Fare/Fail (SPF) Type III - the illusion of change.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Kaelik wrote: Seems better to just say "Fuck you, you are the last post in this thread, so you can't post, go edit your last post."
I like this idea - particularly if it's possible to multipost until the point where someone replies, allowing for things like the Tomes or whatever where several massive posts are put up in a row, but people can't reply individually to four other people in a row in the one thread.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

Petty whine:

Would it please be possible to delete the announcement at the top of the boards? It makes me have to scroll down on the main page.

:tongue:
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

Sure.

[/TGFBS]
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Vnonymous wrote: Personally I'm in favour of lifting the ban and simply creating a few "free for all" threads in MPSIMS that are unmoderated save for posts/chains of posts that actually disrupt the workings of the forums.

Of course, in order to stop this from spilling into the rest of the forums you'd want to have some sort of forced anonymity thing for those threads...

I just noticed this post.

Fuck this and fuck you. Militant /b/tards go back where they belong.
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

It also wouldn't work because Frank would actually end posts with

-Username17

without even thinking about it.

And, like I explained before, anyone who can read flying monkey fuck and not realize they are reading me is fucking retarded.