The Obligatory Rules Thread, Take Two

Practice posts and questions about the boards. The registration code for this board is 'Th3G@m|ngD3n' (Note the use of numbers and symbols!)

Moderator: Moderators

Jilocasin
Knight

Post by Jilocasin »

How hard would it be to make it so that the posts of a person you have on ignore don't show up at all for you?
violence in the media
Duke

Post by violence in the media »

Could you limit multiposting only to the person who started the thread? That seems like it would free the primary author up to multipost for things that need it while preventing anyone else from spamming the hell out of the thread.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

violence in the media wrote:Could you limit multiposting only to the person who started the thread? That seems like it would free the primary author up to multipost for things that need it while preventing anyone else from spamming the hell out of the thread.
There's still problems with stuff like the Crazy News threads, where there are legitimately four or five conversations going on at once in one sprawling mega thread. Some people log in only once a day or once in several days, and it is reasonable for them to post once on one of the sub topics and then again on another one.

The issue really is that Zinegata's own justification for his behavior is that he was "sending Kaelik's inane shit back at him." Now, leaving aside the fact that Kaelik's statement was not "inane shit" and was in fact a presentation of a formal substitution to identify a formal fallacy, and the fact that Zinegata started doing that to every single person on the thread before it got locked, the fact remains that Zinegata's trollapalooza was identified as inane shit posting by Zinegata.

I absolutely don't understand why we are having a conversation about how to change the rules when the problem is 0% the rules and 100% the actions of a self admitted troll!

-Username17
Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

FrankTrollman wrote:I absolutely don't understand why we are having a conversation about how to change the rules when the problem is 0% the rules and 100% the actions of a self admitted troll!

-Username17
This. Exactly this.

As much as people bitch about me, if they're honest with themselves at least they will admit that I rarely post here, don't do the things that make them bitch except in response to stupidity, and am in no way comparable to Zinegata even when in full on Smite Imbecile mode.

His stated purpose in existence is to fuck up the Den. Applying a rule that hinders legitimate multiposting, simply because some fucktard can't copy paste means he is succeeding. Which of course is why he advocated it in the first place.

If anyone is to have their posting limited, it should be him. Either by a simple ban, or by putting him, but not others on a timer. There's probably a usergroup for that. I dunno.

And as long as we're here, can we start up the PF thread again with a Zine stay out?
Draco_Argentum wrote:
Mister_Sinister wrote:Clearly, your cock is part of the big barrel the server's busy sucking on.
Can someone tell it to stop using its teeth please?
Juton wrote:Damn, I thought [Pathfailure] accidentally created a feat worth taking, my mistake.
Koumei wrote:Shad, please just punch yourself in the face until you are too dizzy to type. I would greatly appreciate that.
Kaelik wrote:No, bad liar. Stop lying.
Standard Paizil Fare/Fail (SPF) Type I - doing exactly the opposite of what they said they would do.
Standard Paizil Fare/Fail (SPF) Type II - change for the sake of change.
Standard Paizil Fare/Fail (SPF) Type III - the illusion of change.
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

His stated purpose in existence is to fuck up the Den.
I keep hearing this. I am (100% honestly) interested in a cite, because I do not recall seeing this.

[/TGFBS]
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

I absolutely don't understand why we are having a conversation about how to change the rules when the problem is 0% the rules and 100% the actions of a self admitted troll!

-Username17
[TGFBS]
I hear what all of you are saying. Please give me time to weigh options.
[/TGFBS]
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

Jilocasin wrote:How hard would it be to make it so that the posts of a person you have on ignore don't show up at all for you?
Forwarded to the IT Department.

[/TGFBS]
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

[The Great Fence Builder Speaks]
I'm not locking this thread in case legitimate Rules questions pop up, but I don't want anymore the Zinegata controversy. As I said, I am weighing options.
[/TGFBS]
Zherog
Knight-Baron

Post by Zherog »

fbmf wrote:
Jilocasin wrote:How hard would it be to make it so that the posts of a person you have on ignore don't show up at all for you?
Forwarded to the IT Department.

[/TGFBS]
In theory it doesn't sound difficult - I would need to modify the code so that instead of hiding it behind a "spoiler box" (more or less) it just completely removes the post from the thread.

However, I don't know the computer language the software is written in -- I can translate enough to hack through some simple stuff, but I'm not especially comfortable making what would be a major change to the query and code behind the scenes.

In some cases, I'm still willing to try to hack through it to get things working (the e-mail problem is an example). However, I'm not convinced the benefits of this change are worth the efforts involved - especially given some of the other tasks still on my to-do list.

Or, in other words, I think the current status of the "ignore" function is about as good as it's going to get for a while.
You can't fix stupid.

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." ~ Jackie Robinson
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

What language are the queries written in? SQL?
Zherog
Knight-Baron

Post by Zherog »

Sort of - though I know SQL. It's the php part of the code I don't know.
You can't fix stupid.

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." ~ Jackie Robinson
TarkisFlux
Duke

Post by TarkisFlux »

If that change goes through, I would go and empty my ignore list. I recognize that people on my ignore list occasionally say useful things and aren't necessarily ignored by the board at large, so the ability to go back and see those things is very useful. If I can't do that without just removing them, I'm probably not going to have them on there in the first place.

So please Z, take all the time you need. And then more. There's no rush.
The wiki you should be linking to when you need a wiki link - http://www.dnd-wiki.org

Fectin: "Ant, what is best in life?"
Ant: "Ethically, a task well-completed for the good of the colony. Experientially, endorphins."
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

I know it's no longer allowed that people wish death (or other horribleness) on others, nor that they threaten to do so, but what's the stance on threatening to make fun of someone on the Internet?

Also, on politely requesting that someone put some serious consideration into suicide?
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

Koumei wrote:Also, on politely requesting that someone put some serious consideration into suicide?
[color=orange wrote:fbmf[/color]]This includes telling someone they should "Die in a fire" and similar sentiments.
Duh.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Ah right, forgot that bit. Still, threatening to say mean things about someone on the Internet?

I assume this one is okay, given:

A) If it is carried out, there is still no criminal activity going on/no-one gets hurt
and B) It's easy to spot the humour there.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

Give me an example.

Game On,
fbmf
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Oh, it hasn't happened yet, I'm just wondering if I'm allowed to, for instance, say "Plebian, if you spew this shit out one more time without reading the reply to it, I will say mean things to or about you. On the Internet."
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

Yeah, that'd be fine.

Game On,
fbmf
echoVanguard
Knight-Baron

Post by echoVanguard »

I only skimmed the thread, so I apologize if this has been asked before, but what about posting links to products or playtests? I'm a developer and I'm interested in asking for testers here if possible.

echo
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Well, we ask each other for opinions on games we've heard about all the time ("Hey, so I just read about [X the Y], and it looks vaguely interesting but overall like a huge crock of shit, anyone have any thoughts on it?"). I imagine the issue is in "self promotion" but I don't think there's a huge issue there, assuming you don't spontaneously turn into an adbot and can take the Den's way of critiquing things, and offering those critiques.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
echoVanguard
Knight-Baron

Post by echoVanguard »

Thanks for the heads-up, Prak_Anima. I'm pretty committed to being a genuine contributor here. I'll make sure to keep things low-key and sincere.

echo
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

echoVanguard wrote:Thanks for the heads-up, Prak_Anima. I'm pretty committed to being a genuine contributor here. I'll make sure to keep things low-key and sincere.

echo
Low key is not required.

-Username17
echoVanguard
Knight-Baron

Post by echoVanguard »

FrankTrollman wrote:
echoVanguard wrote:I'll make sure to keep things low-key and sincere.

echo
Low key is not required.

-Username17
Well, I kind of figured the other side of the spectrum was pretty well-covered already... :cool:

echo
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

echoVanguard wrote:
FrankTrollman wrote:
echoVanguard wrote:I'll make sure to keep things low-key and sincere.

echo
Low key is not required.

-Username17
Well, I kind of figured the other side of the spectrum was pretty well-covered already... :cool:

echo
I wouldn't recomend low-key.

when I politely tell people that something they said was making me angry, I'm told that I'm over-reacting. When I tell people to eat all the dicks, then no one makes any notice.

I don't understand it either, I just roll with it.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

Count Arioch the 28th wrote:
I wouldn't recomend low-key.

when I politely tell people that something they said was making me angry, I'm told that I'm over-reacting. When I tell people to eat all the dicks, then no one makes any notice.

I don't understand it either, I just roll with it.
I think it was GENCON 2008 (May have been 2009...I attended one or the other but not both.) when I learned that tgdmb had this reputation.

I don't disagree that it is deserved, but rather I was stunned that:

(A) People I had never heard of and who don't regularly post here knew the culture of tgdmb well enough to comment intelligently on it. I had no idea we were so well known in the gaming community, and

(B) They seemed to speak of said reputation as if it were a good thing. For the record, to the best of my knowledge they had no idea I was the admin or even a regular poster until the conversation was over.

[The Great Fence Builder Speaks]
Anyhow, I agree with Prak that as long as you don't start spam advertising us, asking for criticism of your system is not a problem at all.

Be forewarned: No regular poster will think twice before telling you what they think of your system and how it reflects on you personally.
[/TGFBS]