aWoD Playtest report

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

endersdouble
Journeyman

aWoD Playtest report

Post by endersdouble »

Just got out of first real session with Quantumboost and a mutual IRL friend we'll call Potato. QB was Storytller this time.

Dramatis Personae:

Chet (Baali): my character. Likes fire and social domination. Thinks of himself as a judgment-dispensing vigilante hero, but lacks the wisdom or sanity to do it responsibly in practice. Order of Tremere, good with fire and explosives, and has contacts/backgrounds with both the cops and the bad guys.

Billy (Baali): Potato's character. Grew up in the Wild West, likes six shooters and animals. Has a high-ranked background or contact (both? not sure) in "ravens", representing his relationship with the local bird population and what they see. This is surprisingly awesome.

Chet gets a call from the Tremere--someone's stolen a book from one of their libraries and they want his help getting it back. Chet & Billy head down; no one was seen coming in or out, though a young Troglodyte named Luke had expressed interest in the book but, not being a Tremere, wasn't given access (a few weeks back.) Some interrogation suggested none of the guards were in on the raid, but the dogs had been acting weird.

Billy talks to the dogs, realizes they detected some necromancy going by ("a bad feeling") without seeing anything. Some experimentation with various magical artifacts (yay SCIENCE) tells us that the dogs do not like anything Orphic, and suggest the book (a text of necromancy) went by, in the presence of an invisible Orphic supernatural. Sounds like a Trog to us.

No one knows much about the guy, and Chet's police contacts aren't much help. The ravens, however, remember seeing someone of his description! That narrows it down to a small neighborhood, and Chet does some record searching and figures out what school the kid went to. A montage of the creepy pyromaniac sociopath barging into a school and getting student records later, and we have a home address. The kid is confronted, scared shitless, turned into the authorities, and returns the book. Also, Light of Ennui is more powerful than I thought! Billy deals simulataneously with Chet getting frenzy-level angry and Luke getting frenzy-level scared without much trouble.

Turns out an ifrit told young Luke to steal the book--which contains enough information to open a shadowgate somewhere in SF--which sounds like bad news for all involved...but that's the session break.

Rules concerns so far:

• * This stuff is really free? A lot of my powers don't take any power points and seem quite strong for something I can do all day. I roll ten dice on the Awe test, and while I have to pay a subtlety tax for being all "Hey, look at me,", rolling four extra dice on any social test I care about, no power points, seems pretty strong. As intended?

* Rules for contacts might be nice. Yes, you can work up the NPCs fully and directly interact with them, but it's nice when you're in a hurry and don't really care about who the detective is at the police station if it can just be converted to bonuses. We went with the temporary solution of:
    Me: OK, I'll roll Intuition + my SF Police background. Oh, hey, I have a two point contact in the department, too! Can I just add the rating? That seems fair!

QB: Sure, that doesn't seem too broken.
    but rules would be nice.

* Big deal: are we missing something, or are Getting Information tests unopposed? As far as we can tell, it's exactly as hard to ask the Extra security guard "What are the launch codes?" as it is to ask the Joker "Where is the bomb?" so long as they both don't want to tell you to the same extent. This seems ludicrous.
Quantumboost might have some additional points to bring up.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

endersdouble wrote:Big deal: are we missing something, or are Getting Information tests unopposed? As far as we can tell, it's exactly as hard to ask the Extra security guard "What are the launch codes?" as it is to ask the Joker "Where is the bomb?" so long as they both don't want to tell you to the same extent. This seems ludicrous.
I don't understand this question. Those are the same thing. If a guy doesn't want to tell you a piece of information, and they know the information, what's the difference?

-Username17
Gelare
Knight-Baron

Post by Gelare »

FrankTrollman wrote:I don't understand this question. Those are the same thing. If a guy doesn't want to tell you a piece of information, and they know the information, what's the difference?

-Username17
I believe the implication is that the Joker should be better at concealing the truth than some random security guard, due to his sharp and crazy mind and his experience with practicing deception.
endersdouble
Journeyman

Post by endersdouble »

FrankTrollman wrote:
endersdouble wrote:Big deal: are we missing something, or are Getting Information tests unopposed? As far as we can tell, it's exactly as hard to ask the Extra security guard "What are the launch codes?" as it is to ask the Joker "Where is the bomb?" so long as they both don't want to tell you to the same extent. This seems ludicrous.
I don't understand this question. Those are the same thing. If a guy doesn't want to tell you a piece of information, and they know the information, what's the difference?

-Username17
The difference is that a cop's six or eight die interrogation pool should get it out of the extra, and it should take Batman's 14 to get it out of the Joker.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

That's a damn good point. I added this to Chapter 6:
Keeping Things Quiet
What happens in Vegas, Stays in Vegas.
Welcome to Compton. No Snitches.

It is entirely reasonable that one might want to suppress information about something. Maybe pass around some hush money or threats, or simply hunt down the relevant information and delete it from archives. This makes things more difficult for people trying to find the information that you are trying to conceal – at least, it does if you do it right. The number of ways one could potentially go about suppressing things is innumerate, and from the standpoint of investigators it often doesn't really matter that much. As soon as you mention Mr. Jones, the bar tender just clams up, and you don't really care whether the head of the criminal organization threatened peoples' families or offered a standing bounty on “not snitching” or whatever.

From a practical standpoint, suppressing information is a threshold 2 check. Net hits increase the threshold to find things out about the suppressed topic. What test is actually made to do that varies based on what is being suppressed and how one is going about doing it. Logic + Bureaucracy might be used to forge civic records, while Willpower + Expression might be used to propagandize people to not talk about something with outsiders. A character can even psyche themselves up to resist an interrogation, generally with a Willpower + Intimidate check.

These sorts of things can backfire spectacularly. If the character fails to get 2 hits, their shortfall is actually applied as a reduction in the threshold of future investigators. If you just yoink the tax records of the people you are trying to make vanish, it actually makes them stick out like a soar thumb because they have obvious shenanigans going on with their tax records.
-Username17
endersdouble
Journeyman

Post by endersdouble »

Another session: Camarilla elders hear about a local troll that's not so involved with the Ko3S. He's been passing messages through the Madness Network, and might know a decent amount about the current state of the Dark Reflection. Coterie is asked to find him and get him talking.

Not a lot of interesting happenings; we talk to the Madness people, set up a meeting, and kill some Ko3S minions to get his trust. That requires a quick expedition to the Dark Reflection, leading to this exchange:

QB: Well, you get to the building. Locked wooden door, and...
Me: Look at the door. Now look at me. Now back at the door. The door is now on fire.
QB: I hate you.

Couple questions from this session:

What's the resource for The Batcave? Finance can provide a penthouse, Science a lab...but it seems that locations of value--batcave, military compound, &c--might not be a well-served type.

Just what is a "Resistance Test" exactly? We're guessing the "non-Agility" attribute, but it is /never/ defined.

Some CR system might be in order. Well, not CR, but a way for people without a great deal of system expertise to gauge how hard an encounter will be for the PCs. We're having some issues of encounters being pushover--a monster that looks serious turns out to not really be a problem.
Quantumboost
Knight-Baron

Post by Quantumboost »

endersdouble wrote:QB: Well, you get to the building. Locked wooden door, and...
Me: Look at the door. Now look at me. Now back at the door. The door is now on fire.
QB: I hate you.
Wut. This totally didn't happen.

I LOVE it when doors are on fire.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

The Bat Cave itself would just be a Science resource. Bruce Wayne's assets can be frozen, but he an still operate in the Bat Cave. He doesn't trade things from the Bat Cave for favors or launch hit teams from the Bat Cave.

Where it gets more complicated is places like Cobra Command. Part of the deal of being in charge of Cobra Command is all the Sphinx troopers you get (Assets), as well as your bizarre doomsday devices (Secrets), and labs (Science), and vast arsenal of conventional terrorist-side weaponry and vehicles (Finance). One presumes that conquering Cobra Command wouldn't cause the terrorist army to switch sides to you, and likely you'd end up with just an island with some guns on it (Finance), and have to rebuild it yourself over a few adventures.

Resistance tests are Damage Soaking as well as any of the various tests you roll to, well, resist powers. Generally, it's a Strength, Intuition, or Willpower test.

So one of the characters is the Witch your man could smell like?

-Username17
Quantumboost
Knight-Baron

Post by Quantumboost »

The situation where "resistance tests" came up is: getting through The Gauntlet requires a physical, mental, or social resistance test, depending on how you're getting out, and we weren't sure whether it was "whichever of the two appropriate attributes you want" or "the 'defensive' attribute".

In this case we just went with Intuition, and it didn't particularly matter results-wise since the two characters bought the hit needed (after we remembered we could do that <_<; ).
Last edited by Quantumboost on Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
endersdouble
Journeyman

Post by endersdouble »

And of course, the claim that "Edge adds to all resistance tests." I'm usually pretty sure when I'm rolling such a test, but would really appreciate a sentence somewhere defining it.
JigokuBosatsu
Prince

Post by JigokuBosatsu »

At first I thought "Chet" was the best character name I'd read all day, until I got to "Billy the Baali".
Omegonthesane wrote:a glass armonica which causes a target city to have horrific nightmares that prevent sleep
JigokuBosatsu wrote:so a regular glass armonica?
You can buy my books, yes you can. Out of print and retired, sorry.