It's good to be a Wizard

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Username17
Serious Badass

Re: It's good to be a Wizard

Post by Username17 »

Ok. Isn't the viability of a new spell researched up to the DM, though?

So? The mechanic for learning a spell that another Wizard ran past the DM is the same mechanic as for when you find a scroll written by someone with a spell not normally on your list.

While it's probably for the DM futzing around, the only thing it explicitly lets you do is grab spells off of other spell lists provided that people are kind enough to put them on scrolls first.

Anything else you do with that rule is between you and the DM.

-Username17
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

:tongue:

A wonderful loophole, almost as Fun as a Sha'ir/Mystic theurge.

But I've got to ask, why not just play an Eldritch master?
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

Catharz wrote:A wonderful loophole, almost as Fun as a Sha'ir/Mystic theurge.

But I've got to ask, why not just play an Eldritch master?

Sorry, Catharz. We already showed you back on the WotC boards that that does not work.
Absentminded_Wizard
Duke

Post by Absentminded_Wizard »

So is there anything to explicitly stop a cleric from independently researching wizard/sorcerer spells and casting them as divine spells in full plate without a chance of spell failure?
Doom314's satirical 4e power wrote:Complete AnnihilationWar-metawarrior 1

An awesome bolt of multicolored light fires from your eyes and strikes your foe, disintegrating him into a fine dust in a nonmagical way.

At-will: Martial, Weapon
Standard Action Melee Weapon ("sword", range 10/20)
Target: One Creature
Attack: Con vs AC
Hit: [W] + Con, and the target is slowed.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Absentminded_Wizard at [unixtime wrote:1081495025[/unixtime]]So is there anything to explicitly stop a cleric from independently researching wizard/sorcerer spells and casting them as divine spells in full plate without a chance of spell failure?

Nope. Although you do need DM permission to get the new spells. Still, using a lot of the recent material, it's trivial to see that a Cleric should be able to get Wizard spells at a lower level than Wizards do.
:rolleyes:

-Username17
Wrenfield
Master

Post by Wrenfield »

The Spell domain in the FRCS/PGtF is awesome for a Cleric of Mystra, Thoth, Savras, etc. Especially for Mystra, who can take that one Prestige feat in the PGtF to make Anyspell and Greater Anyspell as normal Clerical spell (beyond just being Domain spells).

These spells, in essence, allow a Mystra Cleric to cast any arcane spell (even Bard spells) of up to 5th level within the appropriately allocated spell slots.

Add in the Magic domain, and you have a Cleric who for all intents and purposes, is a superior to Wizards & Sorcerors in regards to versatility spellcasting.
The_Hanged_Man
Knight-Baron

Post by The_Hanged_Man »

Forgotten Realms. :rolleyes:
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

Guest (Unregistered) at [unixtime wrote:1081489907[/unixtime]]
Sorry, Catharz. We already showed you back on the WotC boards that that does not work.

Ouch! Pwn3d!

But really, I think you're totally wrong, whatever you're talking about probably proved nothing, and I don't even know what that is =P

Although it might have something to do with a broken link to Monte Cook's message boards...
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

I don't have any idea what you are talking about either.

I have a copy of the 3rd edition AQ stuff (version 6), and I honestly couldn't tell you what happens when a Sha'ir takes levels of MT, or even how they would go about qualifying for it.

It says they can get any spell - but the crucially missing information is how they would go about actually doing that or what happens when they get the spell.

It says they can get any arcane or divine spell - but it doesn't say what the spells actually are when cast by a Sha'ir. So unless someone has version 7 of that document, it's completely DM option as to whether a Sha'ir counts as able to cast Arcane Spells, cast Divine Spells, have a Divine Caster Level, have an Arcane caster level.

Since it doesn't say - a DM could choose to announce that they had an Arcane Caster Level only and were able to cast Divine Spells, for example. Or any other combination you wanted.

-Username17