Chili Heads Untie! - Hot Sauces we love

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Clutch9800
Master

Chili Heads Untie! - Hot Sauces we love

Post by Clutch9800 »

I used to live on the island of St. Croix. While I lived there I got addicted to a certain hot sauce called "Miss Anna's Hot Pepper Sauce".

This is a Garlic/Curry Hot Sauce made with Habeneros. It's got strong flavor and runs about 100,000 Scoville Heat Units.

It is divine, and also not a "Weapon of Ass Destruction" if you know what I mean.

Anyone else got a favorite Chili sauce?

Clutch
Nicklance
Master

Post by Nicklance »

Let me quote from Wikipedia

"Chongqian Mala, Sìchuān málà or mala sauce refers to a popular Chinese oily spicy sauce which originated in the today's Chongqing in south west of China. It has become one of the most common seasonings in Chinese cuisine, gaining popularity anywhere where there are large populations of Chinese. The term málà is a combination of two Chinese characters: "numbing" (麻) and "hot (piquant)" (辣), referring to the feeling in the mouth after eating the sauce. The sauce is used in a variety of ways, from stir-fry, stews, and soup, to being used in hot pot or as a dipping sauce. In the Sichuan and Yunnan provinces mala powder (麻辣粉; pinyin: málàfĕn) is used on snacks and street foods, such as stinky tofu, fried potatoes, and barbecued meats and vegetables."

The white half of the steamboat is a white chicken broth where you can eat from to rest your mouth.

The lethal liquid on the left is the chilli sauce. Rarely if ever is anyone who ate from the hot chilli side and came out without a sore throat within 2-3 days if not immediately.
There ain't no rest for the wicked.
befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
violence in the media
Duke

Post by violence in the media »

I can't say that I have a particular favorite hot sauce, but T-flats is one of my favorite places to eat. There's one less than a mile from my house that we're recognizable regulars at.
NineInchNall
Duke

Post by NineInchNall »

My faves:

Sriracha - All flavor and just the barest amount of heat. I absolutely slather pizza with this. It's also great in a tomato bisque.

Da Bomb: Ground Zero - A very, very hot sauce with a smoky flavor. I use it in small quantities to liven up salsas. Speaking of which, it's almost impossible to find a commercially produced salsa with both flavor and heat.

Pain Is Good Batch #114 - A tangy sauce with GREAT flavor and just enough spice to make things interesting. If used in too-large quantities it can lead to unpleasantness in the bathroom, and it's so damn tasty that this happens far too often.

Scorned Woman - This one's got a great flavor and mild heat. It's actually quite good on tacos and similarly strong flavored foods.

EDIT: Forgot about this one: Endorphin Rush - Got it as a present a few years ago. It's surprisingly flavorful for all the heat that it packs.
Last edited by NineInchNall on Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current pet peeves:
Misuse of "per se". It means "[in] itself", not "precisely". Learn English.
Malformed singular possessives. It's almost always supposed to be 's.
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

http://www.thepepperlady.com/ has some amazing salsa that's flavorful and hot. We found her at Scarborough faire a couple years ago and we've been hooked.
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
Ganbare Gincun
Duke

Post by Ganbare Gincun »

Tabasco's Chipolte and Habenero Sauces are pretty good for mainstream hot sauces. And you can't go wrong with pepper jelly. It's technically not a sauce, but it's great for slathering all over cream cheese and going to town with chips and crackers and the like.
NineInchNall
Duke

Post by NineInchNall »

Mmmmm. Green pepper jelly.

*droooooooooooooool*
Current pet peeves:
Misuse of "per se". It means "[in] itself", not "precisely". Learn English.
Malformed singular possessives. It's almost always supposed to be 's.
Archmage
Knight-Baron

Post by Archmage »

Another vote for Sriracha. The stuff is seriously more or less an improved version of ketchup. I hate ketchup. Pretty much anything you might want to put ketchup on, Sriracha is better.

Frank's Red Hot is kind of the standby sauce for things where I'd prefer to add saltiness and tang over the sweetness provided by Sriracha. Not to mention that it's the classic buffalo wing sauce.

El Yucateco is fairly easy to find at local grocery stores. The standard red and green are excellent for Mexican dishes or whenever you want to add that kind of earthy cumin flavor to food without a vinegar tang.

I had a bottle of Mother Pucker's Liquid Lava that someone bought me for Christmas, but recently finished it. That was some solid stuff.

When I feel masochistic, I reach for the Dave's Total Insanity sauce, mostly because unlike a lot of its kin it actually has a great flavor on top of its absurd heat.

Edit: I overlooked the comment about Endorphin Rush and have to second that one as well. A lot like Dave's Total Insanity, except that my experience with ER is that it tastes like barbecue sauce. For a second or two, anyway. Great for chili and soups.
Last edited by Archmage on Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
P.C. Hodgell wrote:That which can be destroyed by the truth should be.
shadzar wrote:i think the apostrophe is an outdated idea such as is hyphenation.
Ganbare Gincun
Duke

Post by Ganbare Gincun »

Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

That stuff is awesome, Ganbare. But as a west-coast native, I kinda take it in stride. Like having a little Yoshida on it. Not spicy, but bitter-sweet and goes great with red, black pepper or garlic if you want some heat or bite.

-Crissa
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

just had some ramen with Sriracha and some manchurian sauce as the flavoring. I was out of flavor packets. It was the awesome.
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
Clutch9800
Master

Post by Clutch9800 »

Oh yeah,

I've been eating that Chili Sauce since my Guam days. It is very, very good.

Clutch