Dunbar's Number/Monkeysphere

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Dunbar's Number/Monkeysphere

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

These two things are usually presented as a bad thing in a trite 'oh, look at how dumb and selfish human beings are' sense, but really, isn't such a thing necessarily true?

Even if you really, really wanted to a being can only give so much energy towards other people. Imagine how paralyzing it would be if the concerns of Schoolteacher #49 two towns over were of equal importance and tragedy as of your own mom. No one could function like that.

This is of course not a garden-variety excuse for selfishness or uninvolvement in the concerns of others. I'm just tired of this observation being bandied about in some pretentious Fight-Club style revelation.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Gelare
Knight-Baron

Post by Gelare »

How about a little background for those of us not immediately familiar with the topic?
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Gelare wrote:How about a little background for those of us not immediately familiar with the topic?
Dunbar's Number is the upper limit of how many people we are able to have stable, non-formalized relationships with. It's generally supposed to be about 150. Social interaction beyond that requires social interaction rules. Society, law, politeness.

The Monkeysphere is the extent of your ability to ascribe fully human traits to the people you interact with. Again, it's a number limit. As you interact with more people you have to fall back upon generalization and stereotyping.

The fundamental reality then is that you have a more visceral empathic reaction if, say, your sister gets run over by a car than some other person. Because you relate to the other people formally, their death is a statistic. And yeah, that's fine. People die every day. If everyone grieved for every death, we'd never get anything done.

-Username17
Ganbare Gincun
Duke

Post by Ganbare Gincun »

BEHOLD! Google explains it all!

Dunbar's Number, Monkeysphere

Not to be confused with Monkey Torture.

Edit: Crap, Frank beat me to it.
Last edited by Ganbare Gincun on Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gelare
Knight-Baron

Post by Gelare »

Ganbare Gincun wrote:BEHOLD! Google explains it all!
Not as good as Are You Afraid of the Dark.
Anyway, some more useful background would be why the OP thinks these things are usually presented as a bad thing. I'm pretty sure they're great.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Well, it's usually seen as a failing not to stop everything to deal with issues about people you have very little connection with.

And then again, blasted for having any empathy for anyone you don't have tenuous connection to.

Which is a horrible way to structure a society.

-Crissa
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

I completely fail to see how "Hey some people are closer to you than others, and other people feel the same way about you" is a revelation to anyone.

I also fail to see how that is a bad thing in any way shape or form.

We manage to have societies larger than extended families, small tribes and clans precisely because we have formalism.

Seriously, Dunbar is pointing out a "problem" that Hammurabi solved.
Last edited by Josh_Kablack on Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
Murtak
Duke

Post by Murtak »

Josh_Kablack wrote:I completely fail to see how "Hey some people are closer to you than others, and other people feel the same way about you" is a revelation to anyone.
This is not quite it though. Past this number, you do not feel empathy for people. You just don't care about them. We have created some social concepts that partially solve the issue, but this is learned behavior. The implication is of course, that if we do not actively teach people to feel empathy for those outside of their tribe, they will not care about them, feel free to rip them off or in a pinch even kill them.

The revelation is not "you care less about some people than others" but "there is a cutoff point after which you do not care about people at all (or close to it)".
Murtak
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

The point of horror is that the formalism that allows us to interact politely and efficiently with random people we meet in the mall, it takes an extremely subtle change in the formalism to allow us to go ahead and pillage Nanking. The lives and deaths of people outside our monkey sphere are just statistics, and it is easy enough to define any particular set of numbers as positive.

The Dunbar number is a demonstration of why War is thinkable. And will remain thinkable forever, or at least until we replace ourselves with a new species of robot that is wired for empathy in a different manner that makes it harder to demonize out groups.

-Username17
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

I'm still not seeing any revelation there.

Maybe that's because I've played, "pick a year, google the massacre" before. But really, 98% of history is "We beat back saddam, kruschev, hitler, bismark,napolean, saladin, ....xerxes and his inhuman war machine so that we could all be free, but now we gotta fight Bin Laden and his people who aren't like us at all so that we can maintain our tradition of beating people up freedom"

and here's 5 minutes on google
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

...goddamn it. I tried playing that game and got a hit at every random year I tried.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

It was more of a revelation back in 1950 when people were trying to figure out how Nazis had managed to get people to do that. The Milgram experiment hadn't been done yet, and a lot of people had stupid ideas for how to explain this shit. Dunbar was competing with Golding's Lord of the Flies explanation that only the repression and fear of authority kept us from turning on each other like wild territorial animals.

That you can get people to massacre other people is not news. That people get massacred every year isn't news either. But why it works like that is still being debated. The Monkeysphere is a much more plausible answer than "some people don't have enough God in their lives" - which is seriously the answer provided by a lot of politicians.

-Username17
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

FrankTrollman wrote:It was more of a revelation back in 1950 when people were trying to figure out how Nazis had managed to get people to do that.
So people back in 1950 had forgotten that what the Nazis got people to commit was a form of genocide so common that we have a specific word to differentiate it from those other, slightly less common forms of genocide?

KMFDM wrote: Wishful thinking that it can't happen here
It's well underways but nobody knows
A repeat of history
That's how it goes
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Josh_Kablack wrote:
FrankTrollman wrote:It was more of a revelation back in 1950 when people were trying to figure out how Nazis had managed to get people to do that.
So people back in 1950 had forgotten that what the Nazis got people to commit was a form of genocide so common that we have a specific word to differentiate it from those other, slightly less common forms of genocide?

KMFDM wrote: Wishful thinking that it can't happen here
It's well underways but nobody knows
A repeat of history
That's how it goes
I had written a long post about having empathy for complete strangers without messing yourself up, but it came out trite so I deleted it.

On the bright side, now I have urban monkey warfare stuck in my head.
Last edited by CatharzGodfoot on Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Josh_Kablack wrote:So people back in 1950 had forgotten that what the Nazis got people to commit was a form of genocide so common that we have a specific word to differentiate it from those other, slightly less common forms of genocide?
No, read it again. Back in the 1950s, people were all curious about HOW the Nazis got people to do it. You know, what the psycological basis behind genocide is, how exactly people could rationalize doing "evil" acts.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

I get that.

My point is that wondering "how could anyone do that?" about genocide bespeaks a truly vast ignorance of history.

Here, in 2010, over 60 years since the fall of the Third Reich, the ardent vow of "Never Again" has proved to actually mean "just about every year"

To me, the point of horror isn't how easily small changes in formalism allow us to dehumanize others and commit barbaric acts upon those others - to me, the real horror is that we have deluded ourselves into regarding such barbaric acts as rare and unusual in the first place when history and current events indicate otherwise. Atrocity is commonplace. Barbarism is endemic to the human condition, and by denying that ugly reality and pretending that it can't happen here we let down our guard against a repeat of history again and again and again.

On a related tangent

MIA's genocide video is awesome, but likely not work safe.
Last edited by Josh_Kablack on Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

MIA's father apparently helped invent the suicide vest and assisted in the assassination of Rajiv Gandhi.
In related news: she fled her home country of Sr Lanka because of the civil war, and the government there currently keeps a registry of Tamils (which would include her) and disappears people from her ethnic group on a regular basis.

-Username17
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Josh_Kablack wrote:My point is that wondering "how could anyone do that?" about genocide bespeaks a truly vast ignorance of history.
And my point is that wondering "how" you could get someone to do something is different from wondering "what" you could get someone to do. And you are being an idiot by equating the two, and then complaining about how it's stupid to not know how this thing comes to happen.

So let's try this again.

Floods happen. They happen all the time. They happen a lot. So a long time ago, some people, who fucking know that floods happen all the time you idiot and don't think they are rare, decided to find out how floods occur.

They wanted to know the cause of bad things. And once they discovered the cause, they also discovered ways of preventing the bad thing.

Likewise, if someone wonders how you can convince someone to commit genocide, WHICH IS A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT THING THAN WHETHER OR NOT YOU CAN CONVINCE PEOPLE TO COMMIT GENOCIDE, it is not stupid of them to investigate the cause of this event and try to figure out how people come to do it, because then they can do things that actually fucking reduce the instances of genocide!
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
mean_liar
Duke

Post by mean_liar »

Nazi.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

So I'm wondering if even if we're succeeded by transhumans or robots or aliens or whatever if there's an actual upward limit towards caring.

Like seriously, if someone had deep personal connections/empathy to 10,000 people, it'd drive them fucking insane; that is 100x the amount of sadness someone will get from normal life trauma created from caring about others such as the sudden death of a friend or them getting fired or whatnot. Or even on a more positive note, is no one who could keep up with the birthday parties or weddings or sleepovers of that many people; there is just not that much time in the day. Your choices are either to select a smaller slice of people to regularly interact with, to interact with them with utter randomness, to give them extremely superficial attention, or not to bother with it in the first place... which still seems to be justifying Dunbar's Number.

I'm not saying the number can't be raised, but I don't really see moving it from one hundred people to, say, five thousand people is something to get excited amount. Or even a million people. And the proposed solution to this 'hard code in empathy' isn't that much of an improvement either, since even with our crude human brains it's still possible in much the same way you can convince almost everyone to wear clothes in public or teach them to read, it's just that no one wants to do it.

Or maybe it's just an argument from incredulity.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
K
King

Post by K »

There's an area of the human brain that when damaged sometimes gives the person a sense of oneness with all people. It's not empathy really, but more of a religious sense of there not being boundaries between you and other people.

I figure the supermen of the future will basically have that hardcoded in. The only solution to conflict between humans is to crank down the sense of self quite a bit.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »