Level 11 Encounters

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Judging__Eagle
Prince

Level 11 Encounters

Post by Judging__Eagle »

I'm looking for some ideas for a group of level 11 PCs in a Tome game. The eventual plan being to use these encounters as a list of index cards, and have different members of my gaming group run different series of encounters or dungeons.

The party is made up of:

Charlie
"Let's go to candy mountain. I hear there's Unicorns there. I lurvs Unicorns. Their blood is delicious"

TWFing 'claw' (gauntlet) using Malenti Vampire 2/Barbarian 9.
-Weapons are both DMG Lifedrinkers
-Wears adamantine breastplate
-Yes, the name is a spoof of a character from a flash video

Arr'Terrax
"Right. Time to change. Mind if I borrow your 'suit'?"
Child Necromancer Wizard 8/Conduit 1/Stranger with the Burning Eyes 2
-Cloud Giant, and Troll bodies are its stock, one is held in a portable hole, with a Gentle Repose used to keep the Troll body fresh
-Likes to use non-damaging spells. Last encounter saw the use of Wall of Sand used to bury a Beholder, then an Ice Devil; both escaped, but their actions were downgraded into "escape being buried alive", from "try to kill PCs"

Xyb
"Whooo-hoooo!"

Aasimar Monk. A mix of Fiend feats, and TWF allows for some different options.
-Can Air Walk
-The "shoot fire shots" ability has been modified, to a list of three options: Ranged Touch Attacks, Line Effect, or Cone effect.

Ebolla
Succubus 7/True Fiend 2

Eggron
Redcap 2/Samurai 9

Some that I've used so far include:

A "boss" fight,
1 Beholder
4 Elder Elementals
1 Ice Devil
1 Horned Devil
-1 Elem got gacked; other 3 got Charmed
-Beholder and Ice Devil got buried under walls of Sand; got out via Disintegrate, and Greater Teleport
-The three remaining monsters (beholders and devils) ran away when the last Elemental got mind controlled

Several Rooms:

Fire:
Room full of Conflagration Oozes (24~ of them) rolling on a disk, turning the room around. Wall of Force, then focused attacks by the other PCs kept the Oozes from swarming all over the PCs

Water
I honestly forget what was in this room. The room was a gigantic water tank with conduits running into, and out of, the water.

Earth
Elementals, lots of them. Solved diplomatically, and for greed reasons. This room generates wealth (gems, metals, etc).

Air
Turbine central shaft guarded by Air Elementals; the PCs busted the turbine by burying it in a dead earth elemental from earlier.

Guard Patrol
Death Knight (really a MM Inevitable, the ones with red robes that use Enervation)
Elder Earth Elemental
a Bunch of Hulking Corpses (LM large undead)

Control Undead spam worked well here. The rest of the party heavy hitters focused on the Elemental over the relatively weak Undead.

========

Getting a Crown from a Magical Girl at her Tea Party

Had to kill some Hellwasp Swarms to get to the party; Diplomacy got the crown, the NPC didn't want it, and the PCs played nice with the NPC and the other Guests.

========

Hill Giant Recovery

Dungeon Crawl

Black Oozes 4
Two got killed, two got Charmed. A mistake, I know, but honestly, w/e it's more interesting than not. I treat Charmed Monsters as places that are now safe for the PCs, even if they didn't kill the monster; a place with Allies for that adventure and such).

Fomorian 1
Was sleeping, was left alone, and put to sleep magically for safety.

Cryo-Hydras 2
Pyro-Hyrdas 2
Got close to dropping the Barb, all got gacked.

Hill Giant Wereboar 1
Traded some Soul Trapped gems for the staff. Turned a profit overall.
=========
Last edited by Judging__Eagle on Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
Calibron
Knight-Baron

Post by Calibron »

Here're a pair of CR 15 encounters, you could scale either back easily just by reducing the number of opponents.

4 Half-Fiend Giants with altered feats and 5 HellWasp Swarms. Stat block for the giants:

Size/Type: Huge Giant[extraplanar]
Hit Dice: 14d8+84(143 hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 30ft. in hide armor(6 squares), 40 ft. (8 squares)
Armor Class: 28(-2 size, +1 Dex, +14 natural, +3 hide, +2 TWF), touch 9, flat-footed 27
Base Attack/Grapple: +10/+30
Attack: Greatclub+20 Melee(3d8+18) and Greatclub+20 Melee(3d8+12), or Slam+20 melee(1d6+12) or 2 Rocks+9 Ranged(3d8+12)
Full Attack: Greatclub+20/+15 Melee(3d8+18) and Greatclub+20/+15Melee(3d8+12), or Slam+20 melee(1d6+12), or 2 Rocks+9 Ranged(3d8+12)
Space/Reach: 15 ft./15 ft.
Special Attacks: Rock Throwing, Smite Good
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60ft., DR 10/Magic, low-light vision, resist cold 10, resist fire 10, rock catching, spell resistance 19
Saves: Fort +15, Ref +6, Will+7
Abilities: Str 35, Dex 13, Con 23, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 11
Skills: Climb+11, Hide+2, Jump+11, Spot+12
Feats: Iron Will, Point Blank Shot, Huge Size, Extra Arms, Two-Weapon Fighting
Challenge: 10
Alignment: Neutral Evil

3 Half-Fiend Giants with altered stats and 4 Hellwasp Swarms. Stat block for the giants:

Size/Type: Huge Outsider
Hit Dice: 14d8+98(157 hp)
Initiative: +3
Speed: 30ft. in hide armor(6 squares), 40 ft. (8 squares)
Armor Class: 31(-2 size, +3 Dex, +15 natural, +3 hide, +2 TWF), touch 11, flat-footed 28
Base Attack/Grapple: +10/+30
Attack: Greatclub+22 Melee(3d8+21) and Greatclub+20 Melee(3d8+14), or Slam+22 melee(1d6+14), or 2 Rocks+11 Ranged(3d8+14)
Full Attack: Greatclub+22/+18 Melee(3d8+21) and Greatclub+22/+18 Melee(3d8+14), or Slam+22 melee(1d6+14) and 2 Claws+18 melee(2d6+7) and Bite+18 melee(1d8+7), or 2 Rocks+11 Ranged(3d8+14)
Space/Reach: 15 ft./15 ft.
Special Attacks: Rock Throwing, Smite Good, Spell-like Abilities
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60ft., DR 10/Magic, immunity to poison, low-light vision, resist acid 10, resist cold 10, resist electricity 10, resist fire 10, rock catching, spell resistance 24
Saves: Fort +16, Ref +7, Will+7
Abilities: Str 39, Dex 17, Con 25, Int 14, Wis 12, Cha 13
Skills: Climb+11, Hide+2, Jump+11, Spot+12
Feats: Iron Will, Point Blank Shot, Huge Size, Extra Arms, Two-Weapon Fighting
Challenge: 11
Alignment: Neutral Evil

In both cases you should start giants on higher ground in ambush positions and of course have the swarms mob the PCs right off the bat. In case you're wondering the giants are wielding two Great Clubs two handed.