Non-d20 Material

Practice posts and questions about the boards. The registration code for this board is 'Th3G@m|ngD3n' (Note the use of numbers and symbols!)

Moderator: Moderators

Dagda
NPC

Non-d20 Material

Post by Dagda »

My impression's that most of the discussion and homebrew work by this community involves the d20 system, but the Den has nothing against homebrew material for other rpg products & original systems. That about right?
koz
Duke

Post by koz »

Pretty much. In fact, the second-biggest thing on this forum after the Tomes (aWoD) is, indeed, not d20.
Everything I learned about DnD, I learned from Frank Trollman.
Kaelik wrote:You are so full of Strawmen that I can only assume you actually shit actual straw.
souran wrote:...uber, nerd-rage-inducing, minutia-devoted, pointless blithering shit.
Schwarzkopf wrote:The Den, your one-stop shop for in-depth analysis of Dungeons & Dragons and distressingly credible threats of oral rape.
DSM wrote:Apparently, The GM's Going To Punch You in Your Goddamned Face edition of D&D is getting more traction than I expected. Well, it beats playing 4th. Probably 5th, too.
Frank Trollman wrote:Giving someone a mouth full of cock is a standard action.
PoliteNewb wrote:If size means anything, it's what position you have to get in to give a BJ.
Gelare
Knight-Baron

Post by Gelare »

Shadowrun comes up pretty frequently, too.
TavishArtair
Knight-Baron

Post by TavishArtair »

Shadowrun is one of the more common systems mentioned because Frank has a bit of a chubby for the 4th Edition Shadowrun rules basic structure, and honestly the same structure has been used for many, many others systems (albeit with slightly different die shapes) like WoD and so on, that "roll pool of Thing+Thing rated normally 1-5 or so against a TN and count how many match/exceed TN" is probably the most common basic structure aside from 3d6 and the d20.
Last edited by TavishArtair on Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Frank wrote part of 4th Edition Shadowrun, and his points about the resolution mechanic providing the results we want is indisputable.

...That doesn't stop my from rather liking the simplicity of 3d6 or d20, and continuing to use them.

2d6 and d100 are literally the most common resolution systems, though.

-Crissa
TavishArtair
Knight-Baron

Post by TavishArtair »

Huh, I'm surprised 3d6 isn't most common. Then again, I only really say that because some of the big hitters in the generic world (GURPS, HERO) use it.
koz
Duke

Post by koz »

TavishArtair wrote:Huh, I'm surprised 3d6 isn't most common. Then again, I only really say that because some of the big hitters in the generic world (GURPS, HERO) use it.
Both GURPS and HERO suffer from a complexity problem relative other systems. I have mentioned elsewhere that GURPS seriously has a page of rules detailed to digging holes, and I wasn't kidding, either. HERO also has serious complexity issues, which somewhat limits their uptake.

Lastly, generic systems have the problem that... well, they're generic. Having a system that is tailored to no setting leads invariably to a system that doesn't represent any setting as well as a dedicated system.
Everything I learned about DnD, I learned from Frank Trollman.
Kaelik wrote:You are so full of Strawmen that I can only assume you actually shit actual straw.
souran wrote:...uber, nerd-rage-inducing, minutia-devoted, pointless blithering shit.
Schwarzkopf wrote:The Den, your one-stop shop for in-depth analysis of Dungeons & Dragons and distressingly credible threats of oral rape.
DSM wrote:Apparently, The GM's Going To Punch You in Your Goddamned Face edition of D&D is getting more traction than I expected. Well, it beats playing 4th. Probably 5th, too.
Frank Trollman wrote:Giving someone a mouth full of cock is a standard action.
PoliteNewb wrote:If size means anything, it's what position you have to get in to give a BJ.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Which is true, but sometimes you want that level of complexity.

GURPS having hole-digging is great when you want seriously your ability to build fortifications and lift levers and move mountains and fix spacecraft as part of the actual rolled mechanics. The expansive rules means more than the GM has a source to pull a mechanic not out of his ass but instead out of a book to answer any argument.

Heroes does four-color comics rather well, most of the complexity comes in creating the characters, which then becomes the game. It's much more a toolkit for creating various superhero games as it is a game itself.

They're strengths as well as weaknesses.

-Crissa