Linking to specific posts in the thread

Practice posts and questions about the boards. The registration code for this board is 'Th3G@m|ngD3n' (Note the use of numbers and symbols!)

Moderator: Moderators

koz
Duke

Linking to specific posts in the thread

Post by koz »

Maybe I'm retarded, but there seems to be no current way to link to specific posts within any given thread unless they happen to be the latest. Would it be possible to install a feature that lets us do this? I ask largely because quite sizeable amounts of content in the IMOI board are buried deep within threads, and being able to link to them directly would save everyone a lot of sanity. Especially me. :wink:
Everything I learned about DnD, I learned from Frank Trollman.
Kaelik wrote:You are so full of Strawmen that I can only assume you actually shit actual straw.
souran wrote:...uber, nerd-rage-inducing, minutia-devoted, pointless blithering shit.
Schwarzkopf wrote:The Den, your one-stop shop for in-depth analysis of Dungeons & Dragons and distressingly credible threats of oral rape.
DSM wrote:Apparently, The GM's Going To Punch You in Your Goddamned Face edition of D&D is getting more traction than I expected. Well, it beats playing 4th. Probably 5th, too.
Frank Trollman wrote:Giving someone a mouth full of cock is a standard action.
PoliteNewb wrote:If size means anything, it's what position you have to get in to give a BJ.
Zherog
Knight-Baron

Post by Zherog »

The feature exists, it just takes a tiny bit of work to build the URL manually. I'll use this thread for the example.

In that thread, the 4th post is mine. To build the link for it, follow the following steps:

A) Start with the "base" URL for the topic: http://www.tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=50539

B) Click the "quote" button of the post you want to link to. The url that comes up will look like this: http://www.tgdmb.com/posting.php?mode=quote&p=126551 You want the number on the end: 126551 (you can also hover over the button and write down the number, or right click and select "copy link" and then paste it in and remove what you don't want.)

C) To the URL you're building, add a pound sign (#) and that number. So now your URL looks like this: http://www.tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=50539#126551

D) That's it. The link in step C should take you to the 4th post in the thread.
You can't fix stupid.

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." ~ Jackie Robinson
Murtak
Duke

Post by Murtak »

Just click on the little icon left of the post date.
Murtak
koz
Duke

Post by koz »

Thanks everyone!
Everything I learned about DnD, I learned from Frank Trollman.
Kaelik wrote:You are so full of Strawmen that I can only assume you actually shit actual straw.
souran wrote:...uber, nerd-rage-inducing, minutia-devoted, pointless blithering shit.
Schwarzkopf wrote:The Den, your one-stop shop for in-depth analysis of Dungeons & Dragons and distressingly credible threats of oral rape.
DSM wrote:Apparently, The GM's Going To Punch You in Your Goddamned Face edition of D&D is getting more traction than I expected. Well, it beats playing 4th. Probably 5th, too.
Frank Trollman wrote:Giving someone a mouth full of cock is a standard action.
PoliteNewb wrote:If size means anything, it's what position you have to get in to give a BJ.
Zherog
Knight-Baron

Post by Zherog »

Murtak wrote:Just click on the little icon left of the post date.
doh! I never noticed that was actually a link, after all the time I've spent on various phpBB forums. :bash: I always thought there should be an easier way to do it...
You can't fix stupid.

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." ~ Jackie Robinson
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

Zherog wrote:
Murtak wrote:Just click on the little icon left of the post date.
doh! I never noticed that was actually a link, after all the time I've spent on various phpBB forums. :bash: I always thought there should be an easier way to do it...
With as many little images thrown in to things these days it is sometimes hard to tell what is a link, but it has been there for years, just other forums like to put a big flashing light on it like "(permanent link)" and such.

Yet again why the phpBB FAQ doesn't do justice in these older editions.

You can write that link code from the php and add it to quotes such as other forums quote="Zherog;129583" or something and get the thing to look like other forums providing a link back to the actual quoted post as well with a little tinkering.

http://www.tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?p=129583#129583

Like a little arrow like vBulletin which would return the above as the link.

All fun stuff that can be done, but nothing you should beat yourself up for overlooking.

At least you know the hard way so you can explain as above a workaround in the event of a script error in the future so people can do it manually. ;)

Maybe making a title or alt text for that page image to say it is the link to the post rather than just saying "Post" will make it easier for all to notice.

Happy Holidays.
Play the game, not the rules.
Swordslinger wrote:Or fuck it... I'm just going to get weapon specialization in my cock and whip people to death with it. Given all the enemies are total pussies, it seems like the appropriate thing to do.
Lewis Black wrote:If the people of New Zealand want to be part of our world, I believe they should hop off their islands, and push 'em closer.
good read (Note to self Maxus sucks a barrel of cocks.)