Dragon World [Ideas & Brainstorming]

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Judging__Eagle
Prince

Dragon World [Ideas & Brainstorming]

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Yes, yes, I have a huge rage-on for dragons, and sort of always have. I've never been impressed with them, and most people always seem to want to make them super impressive; it's like watching a cripple trying to run a marathon, hilarious and terrible.

This however is about a whole campaign setting based on the fact that a dragon can probably live forever

This is far from over. I'm probably going to use this as the basis of a game setting that allows the PCs to travel anywhere, at any level, and always have the game make sense. Even if the group went to Athas one adenture, and d20 modern the next one.

Dragon's World
Oh, I so much prefer the word 'preserver' over 'dragon'.

Getting Work
"Oi! I want you to take that crate of sapphires down to Gem-Cutting 005; they're working on a new batch of Helms of Magnificence; and watch out for Evil Sorcerers, I hear some want to open the Gates of Khorash. You'll get credit for a [magic item's] worth of gemstones for your trouble."

Why a dragon?
A dragon lives forever

One thing that all Dragons can do is ... well, live forever.

They can also be magical, establish organizations, this idea sort of evolved from this idea of a massive planar connected fortress that is literally a whole planet that works for one dragon. Many of the minions of such a creature could very well be things that will also last nearly forever, stuff like a golem, or undead.

What's a Dragon

The Dragon sees themselves as more of a collector of wealth, and there are many ways to do that.

The Dragon's main goal, is to create a massive treasury, filled with what they hope are the most valuable items anywhere. The end result being that they are willing to sell anything in their inventory, for a non-trivial amount.

This is the place that a band of adventurers who have lost all of their possessions goes to, after talking some Efreeti into giving them some gold. 3 wishes is 75,000 gp; and you can get a bunch of 15k or lower GP items for that price.

This place charges more than any other, however, they have every type of magic item at their disposal within the 15k and lower price range, and rich adventurers will seriously swing buy to get a few dozen Magic weapons for their castle guards. While aspiring warlords will put in orders for magical siege equipment, or supply equipment for their armies.

Since these items are 15k or less, they're able to be sold for gold, and often more than 15k in gold, or better still, magic items that matter.

Increasing gold cycle

Basically, the whole operation is meant to make gold, and influence power around the megaverse.

The Dragons Army
"It would be unwise for a merchant to not have guards."

The Preserver's Guard
"Join the Preserver's Guard, see the multiverse, protect the most valuable treasures to ever exist"

The bulk of the Preserver's Guard, are intellgient constructs, constructs, Maugs, Warforged, Robot Girls, Modrons, and retired or rogue Inevitables. Other immortal creatures like Outsiders are part of this army. So, you can serously see a Planetar leading a division of Barbazeu; or an elite team of

The Auxilaries
"Archons, Slaadi, hold the line!"

Some cities have a large part of their males serving in this army, in exchange for higher standards of living for their region. If you're an organization with 11th level spellcasters, you can doo things like establish clean running water in a city, for free. Even today, humans haven't done that, and we have to spend money to clean our own water. Also, even then, we don't do a perfect job b/c our sewage treatement plants don't always clean all of the filth that goes into water.

How is it all powered?
"Magic, magic, and more magic"

Entering
Going down.[/i]

Offices
Greed, is pretty bad.

Processing and Counting, Accounting, Sale Offices, Negotiation Offices, Purchase Contract Offices.

Sorting Department

Storage

Support Areas

Sewage treatment

Entering
We can sneak in, or, we can get a permit."

Well, the PCs can sneak in, and hope they don't get caught, and avoid patrols, and kill any who find them, and try to remove the bodies. Since it's a massive place, and you will eventually be caught, and then it's a race to see if the party is a bunch of ninjas who kill the guards swiftly, or a bunch of thugs who are going to fight and sneak their way in as much as possible.

The permit is basically free, and since the owner prefers to sell items, rather than prevent people from entering, people are going inside this place, trying to find things.

The thing is, the storage rooms are so massive, that whole ecosystems can exist inside of them. A baseball diamond filled with shelves of magic items seems ludicrous, but if you store tons of items like that together, you get all sorts of concentrated magical power just emanating all over the place. The idea being that sort of how a room full of pizzas, will smell like pizzas; a room filled with magic items will be full of magical power.

Retrieval

This is rough for now, and I'll probably add more, but comments and questions are appreciated.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
violence in the media
Duke

Post by violence in the media »

So, are the PCs dragons, or are there simply dragons running everything like the Templars or Freemasons?

The way this write up sounds (at this early point) is that you're just building a better magic shop. "I can totally have this dragon merchant sell effing artifacts, man, and there's no way the PCs will dare/be able to steal anything from the shop!"

Actually, it's almost starting to sound like a magical Wal-Mart. Would that include a draconic Sam Walton puttering around the store in Bentonville?

:tongue:

Did I misread this somewhere?
deathdealingjawa
Apprentice

Post by deathdealingjawa »

the last line in "The Preserver's Guard" section is incomplete.

I like the idea of the mixed armies. It does sound like a magical wal-mart.
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Dragon's World is a working title. The person who is in charge of the place, is a dragon; but there are probably thousands of dragons on the planet, that most people that don't know what is going on, think that a dragon of Dragon's World is often the dragon of dragon's world.

The real dragon of Dragon's World is.... oh, let's just roll a dice and do it lolrandom;l a Half Deep Dragon, Shadow Dragon. It's black, with pink trimming. Imagine it up. The players will never see this NPC; like, ever.

The idea for the overall setting is that if/when the PCs want to get an item, they have to enter the 'storage' rooms; which are literally dungeons. Then, it's a matter of getting the item in question, and returning to pay for it before you can leave.

The PCs can also be given missions in one of the accounting departments to do [something]. Like, retrieve a stolen do-hickey, and get paid an [X value] in Sapphires, which they can then redeem for magic items, often, by going into the storage rooms, and getting the item in question.

It's more of a planet, than a store or big box retail location.

and yes, lots of things are empty, or unfinished.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Wasn't there a d20 third-party licensed setting like this, except with spaceships?

-Crissa
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

dragon space or something? this is more like... world's largest dungeon.

this is more like multiverse's biggest store/business.

I'm drawing maps for this place that are basically.... giant massive stone vaults, filled with piles of crates, some places are more organized than others. You can travel a whole world's worth of surface area, looking at 15k gp and lower items. the next floor, is an other world's surface area of 15k gp items. In fact, the first mile or so worth of levels is made up of items worth 'trivial' wealth. Other levels carry ore, or semi-precious stones, or even are storage for precious stones. Some places store Iron Bullion, and others store Diamonds worth every possible value.

You have to seriously go to the lower levels to find the storage areas for more valuable items.

The place is so large that you could have whole tribes of goblins who are guards that will either oppose the PCs, or let them through; depending if the PCs are following the rules or not.

Deeper down, you can seriously expect the facilities water reservoirs to contain everything from massive algae/plankton farms, all the way to giant tanks where kraken lurk, guarding crazy items in giant clamshells.