Optimized equipment for Monk 2/Rogue 6

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

kosall
NPC

Optimized equipment for Monk 2/Rogue 6

Post by kosall »

I'm playing in a game and I'm trying to come up with the right set of gear for a Monk2 /Rogue 6.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to use the savage species necklace that gives bonuses to natural attacks and that I'll be wearing a +2 chain shirt (I'm not going to using flurry).

If you have better suggestions I'm open to it.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

For starters: don't be a Rogue6/Monk2. You'd be better off just being a Rogue 8.

Then, take your entire 8th level wealth by level, set it all on fire, and get a Ring of Blink. You'll be glad you did. Rogue with a ring of blink wielding a fucking club and throwing rocks is both more offense and more defense than anything else your equipment could possibly deliver.

-Username17
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

I think the image of a caveman chucking quasighostly rocks being a full contributor to a level 8 party has finally dispelled any of my lingering opposition to the idea of the all-ranged-touch-sneak-attack rogue.
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Nope, fully there rocks. The caveman is not solid though. So, a rock-throwing ghost.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Judging__Eagle wrote:Nope, fully there rocks. The caveman is not solid though. So, a rock-throwing ghost.
Arguably even better. Since this game doesn't use Tome material, there might be some opposition to the character though.

I'd suggest proposing that the ring take up extra item slots if the DM shows initial opposition to the idea of the Rogue getting the item. Maybe a ring attached to a gauntlet or bracer.
Quantumboost
Knight-Baron

Post by Quantumboost »

Avoraciopoctules wrote:I'd suggest proposing that the ring take up extra item slots if the DM shows initial opposition to the idea of the Rogue getting the item. Maybe a ring attached to a gauntlet or bracer.
This is not nearly extreme enough. POWER ARMOR of Blinking. Takes up Wrist, Hand, Ring, Armor, Head and Feet slots.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Hmm. I'm not sure how well the DM would react to POWER ARMOR, but I think flavoring it as funeral shrouds or veils wrapped around most of the body could be pretty cool. Darn, now I'm going to have add a "Ghost Warrior" Prestige Class to my list of RPG-related things to design. Or maybe a Tome armor if I'm feeling lazy.
Last edited by Avoraciopoctules on Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

I assume that the levels of monk are in there for unarmed attacks. So Rogue 7/monk 1 would also be doable. Anyway, the ring of blink is pretty much key. Otherwise you want boots of haste and a wand of blink.

Out of curiosity, what exactly is the point of a non-flurrying monk/rogue?
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

You're like a rogue, but less good at being an adventurer and better at being a porter, which includes running the party's dead bodies back to healers. Enough monk levels let you run and jump faster/farther. Since you suck at combat, you can spend all your wealth on presents for other party members and stuff that makes you better at running away.
Ice9
Duke

Post by Ice9 »

Oh come on, one level of Monk does not utterly cripple a character - at least a non-spellcaster. The unarmed strike and AC bonus are useful for disguised-assassin purposes. And Flurry is obviously beneficial (I have no idea why the OP isn't planning to use it).

That said, I see no reason for the second Monk level - it gives you Evasion (which you already get from Rogue, and which does not stack to Improved Evasion), and a bonus feat which is not as good as the +1d6 Sneak Attack another Rogue level would give you.

Agreed on Ring of Blink, that item is gold for Rogues, and it's easier to fill in the other slots with stuff you find in game than to get that specific item.
Last edited by Ice9 on Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
kosall
NPC

Post by kosall »

Well...

I just want to play a monk. I was going to be a full on 8 swordsage but we need a rogue, excuse me trap finder, and the DM is iffy on allowing ToB stuff now since my 1 level of warblade in the last game was totally overwhelming. I can only spend upwards of 7k on any one item and it's really just an excuse to play D&D of which I've played 1 game in the last 3 months (which isn't enough).

We'll be playing through the Greyhawk ruins so I don't expect a ton of well thought out opposition. More like, you open a door and there is a non-appropriate for the dungeon monster in here, it's guarding a pie which could be trapped.

Honestly, I don't know why I bother playing in these games anymore but I take what I can get.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

what's appealing about playing a monk?

try and find a way to reproduce that with a rogue, then you get to play a martial artist, and contribute to combat.

See if your dm will work with you to reflavour the rogue class so that the abilities all work the same, but what other characters see is a martial artist.