THE ONLINE ONE NIGHT WONDER CAMPAIGN

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Zebeyana
NPC

Post by Zebeyana »

Saffira follows the others away from the burning wreckage and towards Acre. Pausing near the sack, she reaches in and pulls out a flask of healing. "Hmm.. this could come in handy"
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Yep, I know that vorpal is lvl 3. However, Adamantine chops up stuff pretty good until then.

Honestly... I'm not someone that's impressed by flashy weapon enchants. The fact that Vorpal let's the user hurt stuff easier works for me. I also noticed that the Snicker-snack power is Str based.
Kore wrote:
Kore took a few steps towards the road to Acre, and looked off into the darkness around them.

"Alright, does anyone here know anything about this massive trail we take to the city of Acre? Roads always seem so open, there's no place to hide or pounce from on them."

He looked to the sides of the road, maybe they could find cover if the army overtook them. That would be bad though. It meant they had been too slow.

He slowed down, and breathed slowly, trying to think of a plan. He had lost his job. The people who had made him lose his job were going to go commit crimes, that only he and three others could warn the authorities about. To top it off, one of his tools had been destroyed, and replaced with something he didn't know how to use properly.

This was looking like it was going to be a long night.
If people want to keep RPing, I'll do keep doing so. However, I'm fine with moving the plot onwards. So you don't need me to vote for plot-advancement. Consider this a proxy vote.
Last edited by Judging__Eagle on Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

I'll grab me that there Ring of Sustenance. And plot advancement is always nice.[/OOC]

Hood peers into the bag, his eye caught by a glint of gold.

"Oh, that looks right ostentatious."

He picks up the glittering object, a ring of some sort, and slips it onto his ring finger. He preens and gawks at it, obviously proud of himself. There wasn't a problem with the fact that the group was in the middle of nowhere, between his awesome and the general luck one in these situations tends to have, he knew that they would make it to Acre alright.
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
Utterfail
Master

Post by Utterfail »

Relevant question for Hicks before we advance the plot. Does Heal affect Xaxus as a Harm spell because of his moil wrought background? If not, we could literally hustle all the way to the city, since the only negative effect of hustling for extended periods is becoming Fatigued and taking one point of non-lethal damage per hour beyond the first, which Heal would fix.
Failing since 1989

I suppose this signature has run it's course.
Quantumboost
Knight-Baron

Post by Quantumboost »

Non-DM analysis: heal deals damage to people who are "damaged by positive energy as undead", including people with the Moil Wrought background. But you don't care, because you have Touch of Death and can pump yourself full of negative energy for healing all you want.
Hicks
Duke

Post by Hicks »

Everybody's character sheet is updated
Quantumboost is totally right. I wouldn't worry about it though, Utterfail, you've more immediate problems at the moment.
The DM wrote:
Encounter 2: Hunted

The party of circumstance, resolved to warn the fortress city of a mighty peril, swiftly moves down the broad trade road. Soon the grassy hills become brush, and then trees, and then even the sky is swallowed by the ageless West Wood. Pale beams of moonlight stab through the thick canopy of titanic trees, and the forest grows close and oppressive against the wide, earthen highway. The forest is dead quiet, as if it senses the abominations set against it, as if it knows the what is at your very heels; as if it is holding its breath in anticipation of a terrible blow.

The road meanders through the forest's gullies and around its hillocks, gently turning and meandering underneath the mighty trees that watch, as silent sentinels, over the bare road. Bare save for the party, of course, and your pursuers, naturally. It is not a question of if there'll be, but of when there'll be an attack, as undead are quite without the mortal frame's need for sleep.

The dilemma is quite terrible: Should you run pell-mell to the fortress city in a desperate gambit to arrive before the army 15,000 strong knock as an invader on its gates, but in doing so become a resounding beacon of noise in the harsh stillness of the wood, sure to draw attention of your location to your as yet unseen, but not unknown, pursuers; or skulk about quieter than a wisp of cloud that floats past the pale moon, and be ran down early and often by the doubtless many advanced patrols for your lack of haste? A fierce conundrum indeed, but at whisper of a cracked leaf behind you all such pondering leave your head. Are they here? Is it false alarm that makes you now tremble in anticipation of battle?

PLEASE ROLL LISTEN AND SPOT CHECKS. ALSO INITIATIVE.
My wireless internet is down, but I'll try to keep up over Zebeyana's computer. I hate this Mac, the keyboard commands to copy/paste aren't the same [/obvious].
Last edited by Hicks on Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Besides, my strong, cult like faith in the colon of the cards allows me to pull whatever I need out of my posterior!"
-Kid Radd
shadzar wrote:those training harder get more, and training less, don't get the more.
Lokathor wrote:Anything worth sniffing can't be sniffed
Stuff I've Made
Utterfail
Master

Post by Utterfail »

Xaxus' Listen: 5
Xaxus' Spot: 4

Initiative: 7 (Ugh, I'll have to burn this d20 at this rate.)
Failing since 1989

Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Listen: 20
Spot: 12
Init: 11
Kooooreeee! wrote:
Kore looks at his companions, and listens in the distance.

He could outrun the enemy, could. His companions could do the same, if they have that flask.

Except that they were all prey, and their predators outnumbered them. Vastly.

The only thing that he could think of, would be to have some sort of distraction, something that would get everyone's attention. He considered running on his own, bellowing and yelling; while the rest got away on their own. Even if they moved quickly, they wouldn't be noticed due to his distracting effect.

He got close to the others and whispered his idea.

"Saffira. You can burn a tree, yes? Could you burn a forest? I think that we could do much damage to this army as they cross the forest; and escape quickly in the confusion.

Like striking a foe as they are in the middle of crossing a river. You can strike the bone-men as they cross the forest. We've already seen that bone breaks and burns. Imagine what would happen if a forest full of bone-men goes alight? They would lose much of their force, and while they are waiting for the fires to abate we could make our way to Acre."

He pricked his ears, trying to find some noise in the woods around them.
Not running and getting spotted. Not hiding and getting surrounded.

We burn Birnham Wood, and escape in the confusion.

The plan is this:

-move slowly and quietly to some point near/at the middle or eastern (closest to Acre) side of the forest.
-wait until the undead near or cross the middle of the forest
-have Saffira spend several rounds burning the forest; this will involve moving backwards, and shooting to the north and south of the road in order to get the fire started faster; Saffira's range on her fire bolts is only 30' right now; that's not a lot; but it's higher than anything else
-run like idjits while the undead are stuck/blocked in/by a burning forest
-make it to Acre, while the undead are finally leaving the forest (big armies don't stop 'leaving' or 'entering' an area until the whole army has entered or left; it could very well take them a whole day; more due to the fire)

An other plan:
-we wait until we are partway into the forest
-kore carries saffira on his shoulders
-saffira shoots fire every round at the forest behind us, and to our sides
-hopefully we leave a massive conflagration to block the path behind us

Issues include wind, dryness of the forest, and range on Saffira's Fire attacks.

Survival Check: 2

Kore don't know nothing about the woods, today.
Last edited by Judging__Eagle on Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
Zebeyana
NPC

Post by Zebeyana »

Spot: 26
Listen: 17
Initiative: 22
Saffira listens to Kore with concern.

"Hmm. Such a plan will destroy this forests beauty. On the other hand, fire has a particular beauty all it's own. [/sly grin] Let's go for it."
I'm not sure which of Kore's plans is the better one.
Last edited by Zebeyana on Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

Spot 15
Listen 2
Initiative 21
Hood stifles a yawn, not used to the sudden shift from laziness to action. He smacks his lips together and looks at the forest behind him.

I say we torch the place mate, not like there are gonna be people around to enjoy the trees once those skeles get around to their duties. Plus, distractions are my forte.

He strokes his weedy goatee in a wizened manner, eyes to the side in thought.

Although, it would probably be a good idea to get near Acre before we start the proceedings, wouldn't want to burn out our own escape route right?
Wait for river/closeness to Acre, then burn the forest to the ground. We'll show those trees undead who's boss.
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

we move up the road; anything that's really out to chase us, we can rebuke, burn, chop or trick with illusions.

at the middle, we make a fire; then run down the road.
Kore wrote:
"Heh, good point Charlatan. The bone men aren't in the woods yet either. Let's just move down the road, fast. If there are things we can't outfight, or outrun; then we burn the woods and beat feet."

Kore straightened up, and stretched the muscles in his neck, legs, and arms. He breathed slowly and deeply, filling his lungs completely with fresh air with each breath, and exhaling completely each time.

splitting up the party is dumb, but a good mental exercise; here's what I had wrote before.
The question now is....

how deep is the forest?

If I take my armour off; and hustle, I can move at 30' per move action.

If I run; that's 120'. I can easily carry my armour and run, but can't when wearing it. Don't ask how.

If the whole group hustles we can cover 60' every round; 600' every minute.

If we have to flat out run, we can do it for 1 round per point of Constitution (sort of BS imo, I can until my intercoastal muscles are on fire and breathing is painful to do; but my lungs are fine, and my legs are asking why I stopped running b/c they're not sore; that's breathing technique).

Kore can cover 120*14 = 1680 feet in 14 rounds (a minute and 24 seconds of running).

Saffira and Hood the rest of the group can move 60' a round; 120 if they run. If running/hustling, keeping together, and using the Flask of Heal is a good idea. Since they will be able to move independently.

Xaxus can run and heal themselves, b/c they are Moil-Wrought, and can throw out Negative energy touches.

Ok.... how's this for a plan.

There's a road; it goes through the forest, right?

At some point, it reached the "middle" of the forest.

That's probably the best place to start the fire. Right now, the army of undead aren't in the woods, so they could just wait out the fire; and we want to confuse them, as well as damage and delay them.

Kore and Xaxus don't need the Heal flask in order to run to the middle. Saffira and Hood do.

Xaxus is also really handy at keeping undead at bay. So any immediate distractions that he is a part of, he can help keep from being bogged down by undead.

If needs be, Kore can carry Xaxus, that 18 str has to count for something; and unless Xaxus is a big soft fatty; I'm betting that his 10 str and 8 con mean that he's lean and light.

So... Saffira and Hood go up the road fast. Kore and Xaxus make a ton of noise, and run at a diagonal, into the woods. Getting attention away from Saffira/Hood.

Once Saffira and Hood reach the middle of the forest, they can start a fire, a big one; one 30' wide, or wider. Saffira can seriously just walk off of the road, take 30' moves, trigger her 10' Fire blasts centered on herself, and create a large trail of fire pretty quickly.

Xaxus and Kore keep moving through the woods; but it's possible that the woods can slow us down; which is a problem.

sticking together, going down the road is really the most strategically sound thing to do. We don't have expendable people who can spread out across the forest, and set fires at a specific time; and if the party is split up, it will be weaker when any of it's members face an enemy.

Hicks
Duke

Post by Hicks »

I have not fallen off the earth, but I might as well have. My home internet is still down. I am posting this from my church's computer after our thanksgiving service, and have neither my books nor my campaign notes. My father has been hospitalized twice since my last post in this thread, and is currently nigh bed-ridden by sickness.
"Besides, my strong, cult like faith in the colon of the cards allows me to pull whatever I need out of my posterior!"
-Kid Radd
shadzar wrote:those training harder get more, and training less, don't get the more.
Lokathor wrote:Anything worth sniffing can't be sniffed
Stuff I've Made
Utterfail
Master

Post by Utterfail »

That sucks, but don't feel like you've got some obligation to post. Real life first and all that.
Failing since 1989

Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

no worries, we can wait