THE ONLINE ONE NIGHT WONDER CAMPAIGN

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Hicks
Duke

THE ONLINE ONE NIGHT WONDER CAMPAIGN

Post by Hicks »

Instructions
Step 1: pick a pregenerated character.
  • Barbarian [LOCKED; played by Judging__Eagle]
    KORE
    Male Human Barbarian 1 (Raised by Owlbears)
    Size/Type: Medium Humanoid [Human]
    Hit Dice: 1d12+2 (14 HP)
    Initiaitive: +2
    Speed: 30' (20' when in armor)
    Armor Class: 16 (4 Armor + 2 Dex)
    BAB: +1
    Attacks:
    • Stone Battleaxe +7 melee (1d8+6, 20/x3)
      Magic Vorpal Adamantine Bastard Sword +8 melee (1d8+7, 19-20/x2)
    Space/Reach: 5'/5', 5'
    SA: Rage (-2 AC, +2 morale Atk/Dam/Saves, DR 3/-)
    SQ: Fast Healing 1, +2d6 damage when charging
    Saves: Fortitude +4, Reflex +2, Willpower +0
    Abilities: STR 18, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 8
    Skills: Intimidate +3, Hide +3, Listen +4, Move Silently +3, Spot +4
    Feats: Two Weapon Fighting [Combat], Combat School [Combat]
    Alignment: STATE IN FIRST POST
    Stuff:
    • 1. Nightmare Edge: Magic Vorpal Adamantine Bastard Sword

Stone Battleaxe, Animal Spirit Armor (ACP -3 / ASP -3)
    Firemage [LOCKED; played by Zebeyana]
    SAFFIRA
    Female Feytouched Aasimar Firemage 1 (Experimental Stock)
    Size/Type: Medium Outsider [Native, Human]
    Hit Dice: 1d8+1 (9 HP)
    Initiaitive: +3
    Speed: 30'
    Armor Class: 18 (5 Armor + 3 Dex)
    BAB: +0
    Attacks:
    • Fire Bolt +3 ranged touch (1d6+1, 20/x2, 25' + 5' per 2 HD)
      Offhand Fire Bolt +3 ranged touch (1d6+1, 20/x2, 25' + 5' per 2 HD)
      Spiked Gauntlets +0 melee (1d4, 20/x2)
    SA: fire bolts (close range, 1d6+1), fire burst (10' radius 1d6+1, DC 17 Reflex half), impress flames
    SQ: low light vision, light 1/day, charm person, immune to [compulsions] 1/day, fire resistance 2, fire magic
    Saves: Fortitude +3, Reflex +5, Willpower +2
    Abilities: STR 10, Dex 16, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 24
    Skills: Intimidate +11, Hide +8, Move Silently +8, Spot +6
    Feats: Two Weapon Fighting [Combat]
    Stuff:
    • 1. Flask of Heal: the drinker of this cup benifits from the heal spell, Caster level equals the drinker's HD. The liquid is compleatly nonmagical if not drunk, and cannot be stored outside the flask. the flask always has a full mouthful of liquid to drink, and tastes like peaches. Yes, you can totally pour it down an ally's throat to have them healed.

Mithral Shirt (ACP -0 / ASP -0)
    Beguiler [LOCKED; played by Mask_De_H]
    WILLIAM HOOD
    Male Human Beguiler 1 (Royalty of a Fallen Nation)
    Hit Dice: 1d6+2 (8 HP)
    Armor Class: 17 (5 Armor + 2 Dex)
    Attacks:
    • Spiked Gauntlets -1 melee (1d4, 20/x2)
    SA: Spells
    SQ: Armored Mage, Trapfinding
    Saves: Fortitude +2, Reflex +2, Willpower +2
    Abilities: STR 8, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 18, Wis 10, Cha 10
    Skills: Bluff +4, Concentration +9, Diplomacy +4, Disable Device +8, Hide +6, Move Silently +6, Search +8, Sense Motive +4, Spellcraft +8, Spot +4, Use Magic Device +4
    Feats: Heighten Spell, Combat Casting [Skill]
    Stuff:
    • 1. Ring of Sustinance

Mithral Shirt (ACP -0 / ASP -0)
    Spell List
    • Level: (Per Day) Spells
      0: (5) dancing lights, daze, detect magic, ghost sound, message, open/close, read magic

1: (3) charm person, color spray, comprehend languages, detect secret doors, disguise self, expedious retreat, hypnotysm, mage armor, obscuring mist, rouse, silent image, sleep, undetectable alignment, whelm
    (must have access to PHB2 to play)

Dread Necromancer [LOCKED; played by Utterfail]
    XAXUS
    Male Human Dread Necromancer 1 (Moil Wraught)
    Hit Dice: 1d12-1 (11 HP)
    Armor Class: 14 (2 Armor + 2 Dex)
    Attacks:
    • Scythe +2 melee (2d4+2+1d6, 20/x4)
      Touch of Death +2 melee touch (1d6, 20/x2)
    SA: Spell Casting, Rebuke Undead 7/day, Touch of Death (+1d6)
    SQ: Practiced Caster
    Saves: Fortitude +1, Reflex +2, Willpower +2
    Abilities: STR 10, Dex 14, Con 8, Int 14, Wis 10, Cha 18
    Skills: Bluff +8, Concentration +6, Hide +6, Knowledge (Religion) +6, Move Silently +6, Spellcraft +6, Spot +4
    Feats: Combat School [Combat], Combat Casting [Skill], Body Assemblage [Necromantic]
    Stuff:
    • 1. Ring of Sustinance

2. Companion Alter:
      permenant shrink item desecrated alter of the Arbiter; a 5'x5'x5' obsidian cube covered in glyphs made with dried blood. Grows and shrinks with a command word.

Scythe, Magic Clothes
    Spell List
    • Level: (Per Day) Spells
      1: (3) cause fear, chill touch, curse water, death watch, doom, inflict light wounds, ray of enfeeblement
      • +1 spell of your choice form the Wizard/Cleric/Druid spell list
    (must be willing to generate and place in a [-SPOILER-] each created undead's stat block to play)
2: Post in this this thread your character's actions. The first person to post in character for a character LOCKs that character, prohibiting anyone else from posting in character for that character untill either that person decides to relinguish control of that character or I boot that person from the game.
  • 2a: I'll only boot someone if they have not posted an action for 24 hours* and I recieve a PM from someone requesting to play that character, or if they are a colossal asshole toward me or any other player in this thread; I don't care what you do in other theads, I don't care what you do to NPCs, be civil toward the other players.

*Emergency situations happen, and life is really more important than anything on the internet; that is totally OK. PM me or post what you want your character to do and I'll do my best to follow your guidelines and not get the character killed.

2b: People who want to play characters may play that character on a first come first serve basis in order that the request was PMed to me. Yes, you can PM me that you want to play a character when someone else is already playing that character. I will notify anyone selected via PM.
3: Play the damn game. You can roll physical dice, use online dice rollers, or let me roll dice, I really don't care as long as the results are posted. I'll update the character sheet if you pick up anyting you care about and when the characters advance in level.

PLAYER INTRODUCTION OF THE ONE NIGHT WONDER
Kill monsters, take their stuff, get experience; this has been the credo of adventurers since time immemorial. You hold within your hands a tome designed to facilitate that philosophy, designed to sate your need for riches, and give you that precious feeling of elation upon attaining the next level. This adventure, no epic, will do all that and more, every time you play. I know what you want: Wealth, Magic, XP, Fame, Glory; it will all be yours… or you’ll die trying. Nothing in this world is free, and your measure of mettle will either carry you to above all measure of success, or cast you down beyond the abyss of obscurity and damnation. Prepare for trials, tribulations, and war. Prepare your character and gird them with faith, magic, stealth, or strength. Power and Glory lie within your grasp. Drink from the chalice of peril and be victorious!

Good to get that out of the way. In any case, I’m Daniel Hicks, the author and designer of the One Night Wonder campaign. As you may have gathered, this adventure is designed to make you one level richer and more experienced by the time you end your gaming session for the night, and this is not an easy campaign. So why does this exist? It exists purely for those who game so infrequently that they seem forever trapped below level 3. You know what I mean: game once a month, fight one orc guarding a chest in a 10x10 foot room, and find 35 copper pieces with your 150 experience. That has so got to stop. I don’t know about your game, DM, or fellow players, but I know what I like: hard core tactical combat, loot, and XP, all woven around an epic story of loss, gain, and triumph.

This campaign is not easy. Seriously, it’s super hard, and you’ll need some super hard core characters to survive. However, you must realize that more important than your character’s numbers are your party’s tactics and teamwork which you and your party will learn to utilize, or your character, specifically, will die; painfully, multiple times.

This campaign is fast paced and very goal oriented, where the goal is often survival. It is very event based and has few site based (or dungeon) encounters. Why? Mostly speed of play; walk down the path and fight the bridge troll vs. have the party stall for a half hour deciding if they want to go down the eastern hall or open the north door. There are no “random encounters,” everything has had forethought placed into it to make each encounter play in a uniquely challenging way.

If this does not appeal to you… so be it. However you game is the right way so long as you’re having fun. But if I have intrigued you, be prepared for an adventure like no other: Death, Life, Undeath, War, Loss, Fear, Hope, and Victory await you, within the One Night Wonder.
GODS OF THE ONE NIGHT WONDER
First off let me say a word about Gods: In short, there are too many. Furthermore, I’m not exactly allowed to reproduce any gods in the player’s handbook or any other setting because they are not covered by the Open Gaming License, and most all are copy written by their creators. So there is a new god list for the One Night Wonder. Their story is thus:

Way back in the day, there were the Old Gods, who were super powerful and completely awesome, so they created the multiverse. The problem was that the multiverse was a pretty big place, and they were rather busy being awesome all the time, so they created a generation of lesser gods to watch over their creation. These were Elemental Gods, and one was created for each elemental base and energy type. For a time, everything was cool, but one day back in the day the Old Gods threw an awesome party, and got really wasted. There was issued a challenge that a certain Old God was more awesome than another, and the other Old God didn’t cotton to that idea. Some other Old Gods agreed while the rest disagreed, so they destroyed each other and most of the multiverse with their bickering. Only two beings survived, and they did that by hiding out on two elemental planes: the Elemental God of Positive Energy, and The Elemental Goddess of Negative Energy (Referred to hereafter as The Father, and The Mother, respectively).

So as the two emerged from their planer sanctuaries, and realized they were all that was left of creation, they, um, uh, something… and twins were born, and because they were deities, they looked nothing alike. The first godling was as a man made of cold iron; he embodied law, order and earth. He was set at the very center of the remains of creation. Immediately he began ordering the chaos around him and arbitrated laws governing creation and its workings. He’s known as The Arbiter. His sister looked like a beautiful woman, if a beautiful woman could be formed by a cascading waterfall. She was cast to the edge of the remains of creation, a set about absorbing the chaos about her. She’s known as Pandora.

Everything was cool until the chaotic waters of Pandora touched the ordered shores of The Arbiter. Sibling rivalry is a poor description for interplanar war, but it is an accurate summation as to how it came about. The Arbiter’s Inevitables and Earth Elementals were set against Pandora’s Slaadi and Water Elementals, and there was unceasing war until it just sort of petered out.

It was just about that time that, err, ah…. Yeah, twins were born, again (from the Father and Mother, naturally). The first was a beautiful woman with alabaster skin and golden hair interwoven with leaves; she was life and wind, and is know as Ariel. Immediately she set to do good in the world. The second was a man wreathed in flame, forever burning but not consuming him; he was evil and fire, and is known as Loki.

Ariel had her angles, and Loki his fiends, but their war wasn’t touched off at the get go. In fact, their coming ushered in an age of cooperation henceforth unknown between the deific children. All manner of beings and beasts were created, and the world was balanced. There was the air for life, the water for change, the earth for stability, and fire to make way for the new. Everything was great, until Loki killed The Arbiter. That kinda sorta ended creation, again. See, these elemental gods? When they go, they take the element they governed, and every mortal creature dies due to the lack of that element. The bodies of mortals were wracked by chaos, creating all manner of putrid and vile abominations of bone and flesh. Pandora was quick to set creation to rights, and raised her brother back from death. Unfortunately, that was the first time anybody died, so she “accidentally” made her brother undead rather than living. Though it was still lucky she made it in time before creation imploded, Thus protecting everybody from total annihilation, so she became the goddess of luck and protection. The Arbiter, with his unique knowledge beyond any god or goddess of death, became the god of knowledge, and death, not surprising. For his deception of the entire pantheon, Loki became the god of lies. Finally, Ariel, galvanized by the treachery of her brother, dedicated herself the precepts of good to oppose any scheme of her sibling.

Then the interplanar war happened, and everybody was unpleasantly surprised at how prepared Loki was for such an event. Fully half of creation had been corrupted by evil, even the Solar Argus swayed humanity to the ruin of flame. With His right hand, Loki unleashed his champions upon the multiverse, and with his left he set the infinite numbers of his armies, mortal man and immortal devil and demon, to burn all creation. And he would have done it too, if it weren’t for those meddling kids, not to mention the direct intervention of his parents.

From the highest mountain of the celestial realms, Loki was cast down by the combined might of his parents and siblings, through creation, beyond his Hell and his infinite Abyss, where he now resides in the deepest part of creation, far beyond infinity, and since he couldn’t be killed without risking creation (again), they shackled him to a great stone with adamantine chains forged by The Father, and enchanted by The Mother. Furthermore, he was dismembered; The Arbiter removing his right hand, Pandora his left, and Ariel his head. They cast each to the ends of creation.
BACKSTORY
Everybody starts as a hired guard for the Caravan of Shadows. This caravan has been traveling for about 30 days, going from town to town and plane to plane hawking wares. Wait, from plane to plane? Yes. The shadow caravan is made up of 8 Shadow Wagons, each a powerful magical carriage that allows the wagon, occupants, and cargo to travel on the plane of shadow once per day. The PCs may be from anywhere, but each has been assigned to the same wagon for most of the past month. The Caravan is on a never-ending circuit, hitting every community of small city size or larger on every prime material plane you care to imagine. The Caravan’s next destination is the fortress city of Acre, and the story starts at dusk at a crossroad less than a day away from the city (or 3 days walking distance). The caravan is bedding down for the night and is waiting for the shadow walk effect of their wagons to reset. By the way, since each PC is basically a hired mercenary, each starts the session with 60 extra silver pieces (2sp/day) to reflect their wages for the past month. Happy Birthday.

The DM wrote:
BOOK I: HEROES OF A CITY
Chapter 1: The Flight to Acre
Day 1 Fleeing the Caravan

Encounter 1: Fight and Flight[/b]

So, it’s dusk, in about 5 minutes it’s going to be dark outside, and the wagons are circled up around a big bonfire. The PCs are not on guard duty tonight, so they’re probably getting their beds ready. Suddenly there’s a shout outside, somebody’s raising hell and shouting “To Arms! To Arms! Hurry! They’re almost -*ACK!*-“and then the PCs hear the wet thump of a dead body hitting the ground. There seems to be a big commotion outside, and then it feels like there is a small tremor… then another… and another. Not far away, the stamp of hundreds of feet, marching in unison, is shaking the ground. They’re almost here…
Last edited by Hicks on Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:58 am, edited 10 times in total.
"Besides, my strong, cult like faith in the colon of the cards allows me to pull whatever I need out of my posterior!"
-Kid Radd
shadzar wrote:those training harder get more, and training less, don't get the more.
Lokathor wrote:Anything worth sniffing can't be sniffed
Stuff I've Made
Zebeyana
NPC

Post by Zebeyana »

Ok. I'm gonna be Saffira. I want to find out what the noise is. Please roll for me a spot and listen check.
Last edited by Zebeyana on Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hicks
Duke

Post by Hicks »

Saffira
Spot: 11
Listen: 4
The DM wrote:You crack the wagon door open a sliver and spy with your experimental eye a row of 30 skeletons eighty feet away from you, on the other side of the circled shadow wagons, the far side of which is 40 feet away. Each skeleton has a longbow a drawn and nocked arrow that has been lit on fire, there seem to be more skeletons behind the first archer line, but they are unlit and you can't make out just how many rows there are.

The night watch of 6 (formally 7, but that last on has a flaming arrow sticking out of his skull) is yelling "TO ARMS!" and is setting up a defensive line across from the bonfire, but inside the circled wagons, about 20' away, and a few more off shift caravan guards are waking up and joining the line.
"Besides, my strong, cult like faith in the colon of the cards allows me to pull whatever I need out of my posterior!"
-Kid Radd
shadzar wrote:those training harder get more, and training less, don't get the more.
Stuff I've Made
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

I. Am. Kharne!

errm... ahem.

I mean.

I. Am. Kore!
Kore grinned his filed teeth, and the pupils of his gold-green eyes seemed to narrow like a cat's. He howled like a wolf*, and pulled out his axes, Cleaver, and Gutter from the side of his bed roll.

He was right about to go to sleep, but now. Now, there was bloodletting to do and throats to rip. He chuckled maniacally as he tightened his grip on his weapons and made his way to one of the 'circled' wagons; then ducked under the wagon, crawling underneath**. He looked outwards, trying to see or hear who was attacking; getting ready to leap out at the first idiot to get within charging range***.

In the dim light the only things one could make out of his sillhouette were his lean armoured body, a shock of wild hair, and his axes. One was shaped like, well, a cleaver, the other was more like a massive chopping knife.
*spot and listen checks
**the howl is intimidate
***sneaking under the wagons, so hide and move silently

Shit is on, son.

[old post]
well.... since the boards want to eat my mother-fucking post.

I'm taking Kore btw. He's gonna do a big three. Howl (intimidate); crawl under the wagons (hide/move silently); and keep a look out to see if there is anything out in the dark.
Last edited by Judging__Eagle on Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
Hicks
Duke

Post by Hicks »

KORE
spot: 11
listen: 18
intimidate: 9
hide: 13
move silently: 12

In the future, you can roll your own dice, use an online dice roller, or ask for me to roll for you.
The DM wrote:Kore crys out like the psyco he is, and vanishes underneath his wagon, crouched and coiled like a viper ready to strike anthing foolish enough to get with 40' of this bad mutherfu-SHUT YO MOUTH!

You spy with your enraged eye 27 caravan guards forming a line 14 wide and 2 deep on the far side of the bonfire, the back row only has 13. The 8 caravan drivers (one for each wagon) are spread around the inside of the circled wagons.

Your rather close contact with Terra Firma allows you to feel the surging advance of the Skeleton Horde. It looks like it's broken into three groups: to the right is a column of 50 Skeletons 80' away, wearing chain and barring their filthy claws, to the left is another column similarly outfitted and also 80' away, and in the center is a column of 50 skeletons 80' away who are drawing back their longbows, each sporting an arrow lit on fire.

There is a beat in the air, followed by the wooshing noise of a sky filled with fiery projectiles. 6 Guards and 2 Drivers fail to get their shields up in time, they hardly scream before mercifully succumbing to death's cold embrace. The closest 4 wagons, to the archers, opposite of you and your party, catch fire; your's and your adjacent wagons are unscathed. The Right and Left Skeleton Columns surge foreward and close to 50' of you (30' from the broken line of Guards).

ROLL INITIATIVE. STATE ACTIONS.
Skeletons act on a 16, and close to engage the line of Guards 20' away from you and your party.
Last edited by Hicks on Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Kid Radd
Stuff I've Made
Zebeyana
NPC

Post by Zebeyana »

Never selected alignment. CG.

Initiative 20 (total)

Saffira is going to keep sheltered by a wagon and firebolt the nearest skeleton, (waiting until it gets into range, if necessary). Then firebolt it again if it does not go down, and if it does, target the next one.

First attack is a 12 to hit, 3 damage.
Second is a 17 to hit, 2 damage.
Bill Bisco: Isometric Imp
Knight

Post by Bill Bisco: Isometric Imp »

Nevermind
Last edited by Bill Bisco: Isometric Imp on Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Black Marches
"Real Sharpness Comes Without Effort"
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Initiative: 10

Kore licks the edge of Gutter, breaking the skin, and letting a small dribble of red ichor stain the blade. The pain awakens his Barbarian rage, and he continues to crawl under the wagons, moving towards the rest of the guards. Even if he hadn't been trained in an army, he had long been taught the lesson of the safety of one's pack.

With some of the wagons on fire, he gets out from under the wagons and goes to the nearest on-fire wagon.

He puts his shoulder against one of the wagons and begins to push it, trying to send it into the approaching mass of skeletons, before they reach the rest of the guards.

He yells at the six remaining caravan drivers that are still standing to help him.

"We need to scatter those bone men; like a rock dashes a pond! Give me your shoulders pack-brothers, and we'll scatter their lines like seeds in the wind."

Str check: 22 (18+4)

[Note: I want to drive one of the burning wagons into the group of skeletons nearest the formed up mercenaries. I want to break their formation up by putting an obstacle in their path. Hopefully if/when we kill those skellies, we'll also have something we can push towards the archers, so we'll have cover when charging them.

Seriously, 150 skellies. I'm not liking our chances, but this seems like fun.]
Last edited by Judging__Eagle on Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
Hicks
Duke

Post by Hicks »

Driver: Aid another 5, Fail
Driver: Aid another 3, Fail
Driver: Aid another 17, Success +2
Driver: Aid another 14, Success +2
Driver: DED
Driver: DED
The DM wrote:Saffira holds her action untill she can see the backs of their eyeless sockets.

Fiery arrows fall like rain, and 4 guards and 1 more driver fall dead. All the wagons are set on fire.

The UNDEAD HORDE a hundred strong surges foreward into the enflamed, circled wagons and engages the line of Guards; they are surrounded on three sides by undead abominations with their backs to a huge bonfire. Another Guard bites the dust.

Kore moves swiftly and purposely, summoning all his strength, and the remaining drivers, to overturn one of the wagons. One of the Drivers was on the wrong side of the horde and was cut down as he tried to escape. The 4 remaining drivers together with you overturn a fiery wagon over and onto the right column; it colapses in a pile of flaming debries on top of 12 skeletons, and formes a block of difficult terrain 15' by 25' that is also on fire. Those 12 skeletons take 7 damage from the crushing debries (huge weapon, 3d6) and 6 damage from the fire (1d6); None of the 12 affected skeletons drop. On a scale from 0 to 14, they look about a 2. The Guards are now sourrounded on two sides by Undead, and two sides by fire, with a little path for them to escape to the east from between the two infernos.

Saffira, wisely waiting for the right moment to strike, pew-pew's one of the damaged Skeletons; it crumbles into ash. And again she fires at another damaged Skeleton, and it also crumbles into ash.

The guard captain yells out above the din of battle, “To Acre! Warn the City!” right before he catches an arrow to the throat. He gurgles softly for a second before he is sliced to ribbons by skeletons. He's dead Jim.

THE PLAYERS MAY NOW DECLARE ACTIONS.
Enemies
50 undamaged skeletons in the left column
38 undamaged skeletons in the right column
10 damaged skeletons in the right colum
50 undamaged skeletons in the center column, 80' away from saffira and 60' away from Kore.

Allies
Kore (Undamaged)
Saffira (Undamaged)
16 Guards Live
12 Guards dead (including the Guard Captain)
4 Drivers live and kicking
4 Drivers dead

I've ran this three times before. This is the first time anyone has said that fighting 150 skeletons at first level was "interesting".
-Kid Radd
Stuff I've Made
Zebeyana
NPC

Post by Zebeyana »

Can we seriously defeat 150 (sorry, 148) skeletons? I believe we need to flee, fast and far.

So, Kore, shall we flee towards acre?
Last edited by Zebeyana on Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:42 am, edited 3 times in total.
Utterfail
Master

Post by Utterfail »

Hey! I formatted the Dread Necromancer LaTeX style the other day. Hopefully it'll make its way into Aktariel's Tome PDF. So on that note, I'll take Xaxus.

Edit: But until then, have this

Xaxus is Neutral Evil. The extra spell will be Entangle from the Druid list.

If I interpret Body Assemblage right I'll get 2 skeletons/zombies with a CR less than 1. Here are their stat blocks.
Rover
Dog Zombie [CR 1/2]
Size/Type: Small Undead
Hit Dice: 2d12+3 (16 HP)
Speed: 40' (can't run)
Armor Class: 15 (+1 size, +2 Dex, +2 natural), touch 13, flat-footed 13
BAB/Grapple: +1/-2
Attacks: Bite +3 melee (1d4+2), Slam +3 melee (1d4+2)
Saves: Fort +0, Ref +2, Will +3
SQ: Damage Reduction 5/Slashing, Single Actions Only
Abilities: Str 15, Dex 15, Con -, Int -, Wis 10, Cha 1
Skills: -
Feats: Toughness
Alignment: Neutral Evil

Single Actions Only (Ex)
Zombies have poor reflexes and can perform only a single move action or attack action each round. A zombie can move up to its speed and attack in the same round, but only if it attempts a charge.
Grover
Orc Warrior Skeleton [CR 1/2]
Size/Type: Medium Undead
Hit Dice: 1d12 (6 HP)
Initiaitive: +4
Armor Class: 16 (+3 studded leather armor, +1 Dex, +2 Natural), touch 11, flat-footed 15
BAB/Grapple: +0/+3
Attacks: Falchion +3 melee (2d4+4/18-20) or javelin +1 ranged (1d6+3) or Claw +3 melee (1d4+3)
Full Attack: 2 Claws +3 melee (1d4+3) or Falchion +3 melee (2d4+4/18-20) or javelin +1 ranged
Saves: Fort +0, Reflex +1, Will +3
SQ: Damage Reduction 5/Bludgeoning, Immunity to Cold
Abilities: Str 17, Dex 13, Con -, Int -, Wis 10, Cha 1
Skills: -
Feats: Improved Initiative
Alignment: Neutral Evil
Xanxus enters the fray! Initiative 6 (4 +2)
Initiative Rover: 5 (3+2)
Initiative Grover: 20 (16+4)
Xanxus stands near Kore, ready for the coming horde* with his two minions in front of him. He yells out "I think you are right, Zebyana. Even my power over the dead could only slow an onslaught of this size.
* Readied action to rebuke undead if the columns get within 40'.
Last edited by Utterfail on Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Failing since 1989

I suppose this signature has run it's course.
Zebeyana
NPC

Post by Zebeyana »

Is there an opening to escape through? If so...
Saffira exclaims, "Follow me, this way to Acre boys". Ready firebolts if needed on any too-close skellies.
Otherwise...
Saffira will firebolt the nearest, most threatening skeleton (2 times), an injured one if possible.
Please roll for me, I have no dice at work.
Last edited by Zebeyana on Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hicks
Duke

Post by Hicks »

Xaxus Turns Rebukes Undead[/u]
Turning Check: 1d20 (17) - 6 (desecrate) + 4 (Charisma) = 15 (CR 2)
Turning Damage: 2d6 (10) + 1 (Cleric Level) + 4 (Charisma) = 15 HD affected

The DM wrote:Swiftly, the fair Saffira glides out of the enflamed wagon and takes cover around it's corner, calling out to and directing the hopeful survivors of this massacre to a passage of escape between the two large fires to the northwest. Just in time too, as the next volly of fiery arrows fall like rain from a thundercloud. Guardly, Saffira watches as the horde surges foreward, through the flames to cut down the fleeing guards, 6 more fall as the tide surges between and around to the south of the huge bonfire.

Of the hundred or so strong horde, 40 catch fire (5 damage), so immolated they illuminate with the fires of horror. The 10 skeletons remaining within the rubble succumb to the flames (5 damage) and fall to ash to feed the conflagration. But in their stead a tide of horror rolls through the fire and sourround Kore and the 3 drivers. Saffira sees her opening and wings a burning skeleton with magical flame (16 touch attack, 3 damage, 8 total).

As the grotesque mockeries of life pass by the now encircled poclet of dirvers and Kore, Gutter and Cleaver sing in the night air (2 AoO; 25, 22 to hit); each bite hard into a skeletal's skull (9 damage, 8 damage) and destroy the undead abomination. But 14 passed by and have cut off your escape with an unliving wall of bones and claws. Three skeletons, still standing in the flaming wreckage swipe at Kore (11, 8, 7 attack), all failing to land on the warrior-mountain. One of the drivers is not so lucky, and is pulled screaming into the flames and evicerated.

Suddenly, a voice rings out over the field and din of battle.
  • "DARK HORDES OF UNLIFE, TREMBLE AT THE CALL OF XAXUX!"
Then, Like a wave crashing on a rocky shore, the 14 advanced undead and a single attacking skeleton halt. Then falter. Then cower at the commanding preseance of the dread necromancer. The guards frantically call to the drivers to escape the encirclement before the undead can regroup.

Enemies
30 undamaged skeletons in the left column
20 on fire skeletons in the left column (5 damage)

12 undamaged skeletons in the right column
11 on fire skeletons in the right column (5 damage)
11 destroyed skeletons in the right colum
9 Rebuked undead in the right column,
6 Rebuked and on fire undead in the right column (5 damage)
1 on fire skeleton in the right column (8 damage)

50 undamaged skeletons in the center column, 80' away from saffira and 60' away from Kore.

Allies
Kore (Undamaged)
Saffira (Undamaged)
Xaxus (Undamaged)
10 Guards Live
18 Guards dead (including the Guard Captain)
3 Drivers live and kicking
1 Drivers dead

Judging__Eagle, Kore has 2 "live" skeletons and a cowering skeleton in front of him along with 5 Drivers, the path to the northwest, once blocked by skellies have been rebuked for the time being and pose no threat for another 10 rounds

Ubernoob, you can say and roll what Rover and Grover are doing, as well as where you wan Xaxus to move. FYI: the wagon you are standing in is on fire. So is every other wagon and most of the battlefield. OH YEAH...
  • Spellcraft: 19.
Those skeletons have some sort of desecration effect on each of them. You might want to take whatever the hell it is, you know, if you wanna...
-Kid Radd
Stuff I've Made
Utterfail
Master

Post by Utterfail »

Xaxus hops down from the wagon he is on, Rover and Grover in tow, and advances towards the northwest passage. Now's our chance to epedite our retreat!
Now that Xaxus is closer to the skeletons, he sees if he can spot the source of the desecration effect on it.

Spot Check: 21 (17 + 4).
Failing since 1989

Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Okay... repost.
Kore wrote: Kore watches the actions unfold, and the undead fall back.
Can these wagon's still be driven? It's 3 days walk, and 1 days trip. I'm not sure if everyone's noticed this, but I have.

The skeletons can seriously run us to exhaustion, unless we scatter and hide.

Do any of the 4 not yet burning wagons carry anything useful? Food, weapons, valuables?

Also, two mother-fucking words: Shadow. Wagons.

The idea of being a feral monster driving a shadowey coach pulled by ghostly horses is pretty cool.

If the above are possible:
Kore wrote:
Kore smashes into one of the skeletons*, as he tries to get past them, towards the wagons.

He yells to the 4 drivers as he runs past the skeletons.

"Come on you Shadow-Drivers! To the Wagons! The bone men have no eyes to grow weary, no sinews to sore."

He begins to make for the wagon full of [weapons/food/siege defense tools/lamp oil and alchemist's fire], and starts to manhandle it, pushing the Shadow-Wagon's front**. Trying to free it from the circle.
*Bullrush: 21 (17+4)
**Str Check: 13 (9+4)
If the wagons cannot be moved or driven from where they are:
Kore wrote: Kore smashes into one of the skeletons*, as he tries to get past them, and leaps towards one of the still unburnt wagons. He grabs [something useful], then shouts to the people in the middle of the circled wagons.

"Don't stand like fire-tranced deer! Grab something useful, and flee for the gap. We flee!"

Then points at the gap that has been made in the line of skeletons. He then leaps down from the wagon**, and makes his way to the
*Bullrush: 21 (17+4)
**: Jump check: 15 (11+4)
Last edited by Judging__Eagle on Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

Let's go with TN.

William Hood, recently returned from a duty free leak, sees the general commotion occuring in the wagon company.

"Well Loki's flaming ballsack, that doesn't look pleasant at all."

Moving as stealthily as he can, he attempts to move towards the wagons, seeing his fellow Luminary guardsmen fighting off the skeleton horde. He readies a spell as he moves, trying to see what the crazy guy who yells a lot does.
Could you make a Hide roll for me if necessary Hicks, and am readying a Silent Image based on what J_E pulls off.
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
Zebeyana
NPC

Post by Zebeyana »

I do believe he said all the wagons are burning.
Saffira runs, following Xaxus, ready to flame anything that gets too close.
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Fail: I didn't realize that all of the wagons were now on fire. :/

Can any of them be salvaged? I'm fine with chopping off burning parts, or throwing out cargo, I just don't want to waste an opportunity to help us survive, and move quicker, if it's possible.

Initially, the closest four wagons caught fire. Meaning 4 are were still fine. I didn't realize that they were all on fire now. We're in deep shit, but not TPK'd.

Hopefully, we can snag a wagon and get to Acre in one day, not 3.

Also, remember. Shadow. Wagons.

You don't get much more cooler than that. It's one thing to have an all black wagon. It's an other when it's able to jump into the shadowlands. We could travel there the next day; reach Acre early, and give the city time to prepare.

I don't know about the rest of you guys, but having a part in killing eleven skeleton warriors in at level one is fun. Sometimes taking a chance pays off.

I wonder how long I can go before choosing to make an attack as my actual chosen actions in a round.

Hicks
Duke

Post by Hicks »

Yeah... all the shadow wagons are on fire. The only reason it would take less than a day for the wagons to go to acre is because of their 1/day shadow walk effect, and they so totally don't work at all any more. Hells bells, they aren't even any horses around to pull them, not that it would matter 'cuz they be kindling now. Hope y'all packed your hiking boots!

Man, I totally made a mistake and held the battlemap backwards. The skeletons are attacking from the west and the escape path out is toward the southeast. I always fuck that up. Sorry. You guys are still running in the right direction and away from danger, so no worries there; you guys are fine.

Spot of 21 eh?
The DM wrote:The guards and drivers break formation and flee in a mad panic from the camp to the east. There are shouts of "To the road!" and "Every man for himself!"

Two burning skeletons stray too close to Saffira and pay the price (22, 19 attack; 7, 5 damage), the fires consuming first to ash, but only severly charring the second. She flees (30') eastward toward the road.

The mass of animate bones pushes foreward in the absence of resistance, under a hail of arrowfire. 5 of the guards and 2 of the drivers are first pincushioned then torn appart as they expose their cowardly backs to the skeletal columns.

Kore smashes into one of the skeletons, as he tries to get past them, and leaps towards through the nearest, and still totally on fire, wagon. He grabs [something useful], then shouts to the cowards who broke ranks.
  • "Don't stand like fire-tranced deer! Grab something useful, and flee for the gap. We flee!"
Kore Kool-aid Mans it through the eastern flimsy wagon siding, and lands smack dab in the middle of the empty escape lane everybody except Xaxus has used.

Xaxus spies with his necromantic eye a wad of cloth nailed to the inside of each skeleton's right eye socket; it is a desecrated and shrunk item alter to the Arbiter (God of law, earth, knowledge, and death). The cowering skeleton right in front of you looks at you with his (semi)empty eyesockes pleading as if to beg for your mercy. It's right there and you can totally grab it from its eyesocket and run like hell.

Hood strolls up to the field of canrage, fire, and death. Seeing his wagon mates running for their lives while that guy who shouts alot is standing infront of like 88 still moving skeletons, Hood thinks to himself:
  • "Man, I'm totally awesome in every way!"
Wait, wait... What I meant to tune into was:
  • "Yep, still awesome!"
...third time's the charm:
  • "I'm going to cast a spell that totally saves the survivors from being overrun by more skellies than I can count!"
Silent Image, all around Kore. Hood even shouts "ILLUSION!" at the top of his lungs. Stupid skellies. The sights of the survivors fleeing (and Kore standing) are covered as if by a movie projector screen, on the screen is porjected an image of the environment normally seen from the angle of the skeletal horde, sans survivors.

Under the cover of illusion, our intrepid adventurers flee the scene while the skeletons are all to happy to wreak this caravan's shit and further disembowl the dead. All the caravaners except for you four have scattered dissappeared into the twilight. For a second, you feel hope for them that they might escape alone, but as you crest the last southern hill toward the great eastern road, you see the fires of over a hundred such small armies on the western horizion, converging east. The horde that you flead from was nothing more than a small scout of the true army's main body. Safety with the colossal walls Acre may be you only hope, and The fortress city is 3 days away due east on this wide road, and the night is just beginning.

YOU ARE FREE TO CONVERSE AND ROLEPLAY UNTILL YOU WANT ME TO "GET ON WITH IT".
Enemies
18 undamaged skeletons in the left column
12 on fire skeletons in the left column (3 damage)
15 damaged in the left column (5 damage)
5 on fire skeletons in the left column (8 damage)

12 undamaged skeletons in the right column
8 damaged skeletons in the right column (5 damage)*
2 on fire skeletons in the right column (8 damage)*
9 Rebuked undead in the right column,
2 damaged Rebuked undead in the right column (5 damage)
4 Rebuked and on fire undead in the right column (8 damage)*
1 on fire skeleton in the right column (13 damage)*
12 destroyed skeletons in the right colum

Allies
Kore (Undamaged)
Saffira (Undamaged)
Xaxus (Undamaged)
5 Guards Live
23 Guards dead (including the Guard Captain)
1 Driver live and kicking
5 Drivers dead
-Kid Radd
Stuff I've Made
Hicks
Duke

Post by Hicks »

[something useful]
Kore was the only one with the preseance of mind to loot shit from firey wreaks. He got a Sack. A Santa-Sack with 4 magical goodies in it. Each one of you may choose ONE magical item. Bear in mind these limits on your selection:
  • It can be a magic weapon made from any legal material; The weapon automagically has a descriptive prefix or suffix from here that grants a cool ability at level 3.

It can be any magical armor or shield made from any legal material.

It can be a Belt of Magnificence: adding a +1/3 HD enhancement bonust to all ability scores.

It can be any minor magic item out of the book of gears (Magic cloak of resistance, compotence to skill, enhancement to DR).

A Ring of Sustinance: Straight out of the DMG, that takes effect immidieatly when worn. Yes this means that your arcane spells can be re-prepared after a 2 hour nap. Happy birthday.

A Flask of Heal:* the drinker of this cup benifits from the heal spell, Caster level equals the drinker's HD. The liquid is compleatly nonmagical if not drunk, and cannot be stored outside the flask. the flask always has a full mouthful of liquid to drink, and tastes like peaches. Yes, you can totally pour it down an ally's throat to have them healed.
*First one to call the Flask is the only one who can have the flask.
-Kid Radd
Stuff I've Made
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Kore's smoldering hatred for the attackers dissipates as he realizes the enormity of the situation. He breathes slowly and deeply, trying to think of a plan of action.

There's really only one thing that he can think of doing right now.

"Acre needs to be warned of this. I may hate cities, but undead kill everything, and only an army can face an army.

What say the rest of you? We need to warn every settlement on the way to Acre, and get there before this army reaches it.

By Loki's Beard and Ariel's breasts. I'll do what I can to stop this army of walking dead that cost me...

my job."

As he started walking, he looked down at what he had taken from the wagon. It was a...
Yes. I made a funny.

3 days of walking, and I don't think anyone here has the Survival skill.

I'll leave what Kore found in the wagon to Hicks.

Uber, you better have grabbed that altar in the skellies head. Think of the critters you can make if you have it. >:3

Edit:

Damn, Hicks already posted what Kore grabbed.

I... don't know what to pick. A Vorpal axe, an Adamantine Carapace, or a Belt of Magnificence.

+1 to all stats, or a bitching weapon. Well, they may not help now, but stats are stats, and they beef up everything.

-sigh- seeing that list makes me go all ... "grabby hands", as a close friend best described the sensation of being tantalized by things.
Kore wrote: Kore reaches into the bag and pulls out a massive belt leather belt. Like a kidney belt more than a belt one would use on pants. Along its outer surcface are large adamantine disks, each disk is scuplted with one of the great gods.

"By the gods. You'd have thought that the caravan master would have thought to put this to use."

He drops the bag on the ground, and begins to strap the belt around himself; cinching the three thick straps into their respective buckles.

It was just a belt. He didn't feel any stronger, or tougher, or smarter. Maybe it was a dud?

"Hmm.... well, let's see. I don't feel any different."

He reached in again. there was a small flask. It seemed to be filled with shadows. Small crawling things seemed to move inside the clear flask. He tentatively opened the stopper on the flask, and a swarm of tiny flying nightmares flew out of the flask.

Kore tried to swing Cleaver at the swarm, but it was pointless. It was more than pointless. The creatures swarmed on the axe, and seemed to burrow and eat the stone weapon.

The sound of bacon frying was all that could be heard, as the stone was slowly consumed and embedded with the black things that had filled the flask.

Cleaver was Cleaver no more. It was a dark thing. The stone blade was now a smooth, black, metal. Its edges seemed to be impossibly sharp.

Cleaver had been consumed, and Kore looked in marvel at his weapon.

"I call you.... Nightmare's Edge. Edge. For that is what you are. The edge that will slice anything I face."

He kept looking at the adamantine vorpal weapon. It was a bit different though. Longer, thinner. Leaner.

Kore chuckled. The fates were playing a joke on him.

"A black bastard sword for a black-hearted bastard." He swung the weapon. It was longer than he was used to, but not impossibly so. It would take him a week or so to get used to using his weapon.

He sighed, and put the former Cleaver, now Edge; into the clip behind his shoulder on his armour.
Oh, and Alignment: N

I'm going to leave him as a blank for now. My actions in games tend to be all over the place. Usually, the result is a neutral character.
Last edited by Judging__Eagle on Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:08 am, edited 3 times in total.

Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

"Well, it doesn't look like there's much we can do. I mean, I'm awesome but by Father's Brow I'm not that awesome. Let's head to Acre."

Hood walks up behind Kore, able to relax after finally being able to put down the moving scenery illusion.

"So, role call on the people not dead eh? The big guy and I are present and accounted for."

Hood raises his hand while peering into the santa sack of awesome Kore had acquired.

"Got anything for me love?"
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Kore wrote:
"Search for yourself pack-brother. We'll need all the tools we can get for this."

The bag was on the ground, it's shape extended by its contents.

Utterfail
Master

Post by Utterfail »

Of course Xaxus grabs the bit of cloth, thats rad loot. Also, its Utterfail. Not Ubernoob. Don't want to sully his name.
Xaxus reaches into the skull of the skeleton taking the bit of cloth. A gift? For me? You shouldn't have. And then quickly continues down the escape path with Rover and Grover, under the cover of Hood's helpful Illusion.

Acre does seem to be our best bet. he waits his turn to reach into the loot sack and pulls out... a shiny magic Ring of Sustenance.
Last edited by Utterfail on Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Failing since 1989

Hicks
Duke

Post by Hicks »

Cool beans dudes. just remember that the pre/suffix on weapons don't come online untill level 3+. Adamantine is still totally OK. I'll update the character sheets in a bit.
-Kid Radd
Stuff I've Made