Tome Red Hand of Doom.

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Tome Red Hand of Doom.

Post by Kaelik »

Put stuff here. Start by making level 5 characters. Link to any stuff not directly in the Tomes that you want if you can.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
imperialspectre
1st Level

Post by imperialspectre »

What's being done for ability generation?
God_of_Awesome
Knight-Baron

Post by God_of_Awesome »

Well, I'm gonna make my drowish barbarian / champion mix if I may. Unfortunatley, my ability to make a character is SUB-PAR.

EDIT: And I mean statting one. I otherwise create awesome characters.
Last edited by God_of_Awesome on Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
endersdouble
Journeyman

Post by endersdouble »

How many players are you taking? Once you answer imperialspectre, I'll make something--probably a caster, but quite possibly a Sphere-based one. Would you be OK with a True Fiend or Conduit? :P
Quantumboost
Knight-Baron

Post by Quantumboost »

+1 on the ability scores question. I'll go with an Elemental Weird, I think, or possibly a Dread Necro if that fits better.
koz
Duke

Post by koz »

I'll be playing one of the following, based on other choices: my Nightmare Seeker, my Psion or my Speaker, as soon as Kaelik tells us how stats will be generated.

EDIT:
God_of_Awesome wrote:Well, I'm gonna make my drowish barbarian / champion mix if I may. Unfortunatley, my ability to make a character is SUB-PAR.

EDIT: And I mean statting one. I otherwise create awesome characters.
GoA, we're all nice folks here. I'm sure that we'd be more than willing to help you out with generation. Heck, I'm positive I'll be more than willing to help you out with character generation!
Last edited by koz on Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Everything I learned about DnD, I learned from Frank Trollman.
Kaelik wrote:You are so full of Strawmen that I can only assume you actually shit actual straw.
souran wrote:...uber, nerd-rage-inducing, minutia-devoted, pointless blithering shit.
Schwarzkopf wrote:The Den, your one-stop shop for in-depth analysis of Dungeons & Dragons and distressingly credible threats of oral rape.
DSM wrote:Apparently, The GM's Going To Punch You in Your Goddamned Face edition of D&D is getting more traction than I expected. Well, it beats playing 4th. Probably 5th, too.
Frank Trollman wrote:Giving someone a mouth full of cock is a standard action.
PoliteNewb wrote:If size means anything, it's what position you have to get in to give a BJ.
God_of_Awesome
Knight-Baron

Post by God_of_Awesome »

Well, we made a Tome Barbarian and a Tome Drow. Gonna use that. The one thing I'm stuck on is, other then bonus feat, what is the general feat progression of any character? A feat per level or... what?
koz
Duke

Post by koz »

God_of_Awesome wrote:Well, we made a Tome Barbarian and a Tome Drow. Gonna use that. The one thing I'm stuck on is, other then bonus feat, what is the general feat progression of any character? A feat per level or... what?
Core 3.5 states that you get 1 feat at 1st level, 1 at 3rd, another at 6th, another at 9th, and so on. This has not been changed. Thus, as a 5th level non-human, you get 2.
Kaelik wrote:You are so full of Strawmen that I can only assume you actually shit actual straw.
souran wrote:...uber, nerd-rage-inducing, minutia-devoted, pointless blithering shit.
Schwarzkopf wrote:The Den, your one-stop shop for in-depth analysis of Dungeons & Dragons and distressingly credible threats of oral rape.
DSM wrote:Apparently, The GM's Going To Punch You in Your Goddamned Face edition of D&D is getting more traction than I expected. Well, it beats playing 4th. Probably 5th, too.
PoliteNewb wrote:If size means anything, it's what position you have to get in to give a BJ.
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

+1 on what we do about ability scores as well. I'll probably go D-con Monk or Koumei's Swashbuckler/Ninja
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
God_of_Awesome
Knight-Baron

Post by God_of_Awesome »

Cool.

Another thing, before Tome, this character used the Dragon Totem variant of Barbarian. It fit with his character that he was this willfull, crazy and especially scary son of a bitch. I'm using Tome Barbarian but any suggestions in editing in some Dragon Totem like abilities.
•A 1st-level dragon-totem barbarian gains Blind-Fight as a bonus feat.
•At 2nd level, a dragon-totem barbarian gains a +2 bonus on saves against paralysis and sleep effects.
•At 5th level, a dragon-totem barbarian gains the frightful presence ability. The save DC is equal to 10 + 1/2 barbarian level + barbarian's Cha modifier.
Also, their was Tome Drow, anyone know where that is?

Other then that; here goes:

Baldraxe Garl'gezmond
Male Drow CG
Barbarian 2 / Champion 3

Feat and Abbilities:
•[Tome] Champion 3
Deity's Weapon (Combat School: Great Axe)
Detect Thoughts
Unyielding Thoughts
Divine Form
Domains Spells (CL 1, Fire and Death)
Granted Powers (Fire and Death)
Lay On Hand
Divine Grace
Divine Health
Aura of Divinity
•[Tome] Barbarian 2
Rage
Combat Movement (+5)
Rage Dice (1d6)
•[Tome] Drow
???
•ECL 5
[Tome] Two-Weapon Fighting
[Tome] Combat School (Katana)

And that's it so far. Any [Tome] Feats particularly suited to cutting off heads?
Last edited by God_of_Awesome on Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:59 am, edited 3 times in total.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

The Races of War Drow is in Races of War.
Drow
"Time to die for the Spider Queen."

The Drow are perhaps the most overused bunch of villains ever. Their entire ability set is one that is supposed to neutralize the advantages of player characters so that characters can have mirror matches against NPC parties without doubling their treasure. With magic items that turn off once they are brought out of Drow controlled regions, spell-resistance, and spell-like abilities designed to specifically negate common player-character tactical advantages, they can easily compete with Player Characters with massively more permanent magical equipment. And that means that they can be fought and killed several times without supercharging party treasure.

But if you want to play a Drow character, you don't want any of that crap. In fact, if you want a Drow character, probably the maxim you are looking for is "WWDD?" and the answer is probably "Fight with two scimitars." But more than that, there are a number of abilities that Drow characters in stories exhibit that people want. And then there are the game mechanical abilities in the rulebook that the characters in stories obviously don't have (like Touch of Fatigue, what's up with that?) So here it is, the LA +0 Drow that people actually want to play:

• Medium Size
  • 30' movement.
  • Humanoid Type (Elf subtype)
  • Darkvision 120'
  • +2 Dexterity, -2 Constitution
  • Daylight Sensitivity: While in brightly lit surroundings (such as a daylight spell), a Drow suffers a -2 penalty to attack rolls and precision-based skill checks.
  • Drow with a Charisma of at least 10 may cast deeper darkness (duration 4 hours), and fairie fire as spell-like abilities with a caster level equal to their character level once per day each.
  • +2 bonus to saving throws against spells and spell-like abilities.
  • +2 bonus to Spot, and Listen checks.
  • Drow never sleep and are immune to sleep effects. Drow must still perform their 4 hour daily trance to stay coherent and rested.
  • Drow live an exceedingly interesting life and every Drow has proficiency with the rapier and an exotic ranged weapon of their choice.
  • Favored Classes: Cleric and Wizard
  • Automatic Languages: Elvish
  • Bonus Languages: Abyssal, Beholder, Common, Draconic, Drow Sign Language, Dwarvish, Gnome, Kuo-Toa, Terran, Undercommon.
koz
Duke

Post by koz »

GoA - the Blind-Fight thing is an actual [Combat] feat you can take. As for Frightful Presence, I think it was made into a Fiend feat if I remember right.

As far as head-slicing goes, have you considered Insightful Strike, Blitz or Whirlwind?
Quantumboost
Knight-Baron

Post by Quantumboost »

Iaimeki also wrote a couple of Intimidate [Skill] feats here which could increase your scaritude.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

Kaelik wrote:Anyone up for a Tome Red Hand Run on the Gaming Den?

Tome classes subbing for shitty NPCs too.

Probably use some of the upgrade options, like Black to Juvenile, ect.

Say yea?
If it's a forum game, I'd love to. I don't have all that much familiarity with Instant Messaging software, but I might be willing to try it depending on the times. I can post at least once a day most days and will let the group know in advance if I can't post during a given time period.

I'd like to try a Curator, since that class has interested me for a while. I think I had a sheet on Mythweavers for a game that never ran, and I will see if I can modify that into something for this game and link it here.

I have not read RHoD, but I vaguely remember people talking about and reviewing it. I know you oppose incorporeal undead, some lich guy who can be reasoned with, dragons, and a goblinoid army.

EDIT: Myth-Weavers is down, so I'll just produce a new character from scratch. Curator is here: http://www.tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=49091

However, I'm going to look at the latest Tome pdf and see if anything jumps out at me first. Going to be spending about an hour and a half going home on public transit before too long, so I might as well capitalize upon the opportunity to come up with a new character concept.
Last edited by Avoraciopoctules on Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

1) 32 PB, average HP.

2) Link to Champion:

a) Of course Sphere based casting is fine. Did you not see my post in the thread that started this?
b) Weird seems good, might have some spot problems with race/feat/sphere, but probably not, and will only bother if the ones you choose have a complaint. Little bit object to the wording of Expert Spheres + save DCs.

Heighten spell should be mandatory no matter how you build, and you shouldn't feel punished by taking it at level 1, but then having it not work on your Expert Spheres and wishing you had taken something else.

Power now v Power Later is not a Tome choice!
c)All three options look okayish. Except: 1) I will feel free to arbitrarily nerf/disallow any feat or "power" or "utterance" at any time. I'm not going to read through all that for balance.

2) You have to set a feat on fire to play any of those classes. I don't like that you basically just took the Fiendish Conduit and made it better by giving each one heighten SLA for free.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
koz
Duke

Post by koz »

First off, thanks for the stat generation stuff.

Secondly, Frank has pointed out, twice, that non-auto-scaling DCs were a system flaw, and thus, instead of making me burn a feat on Heighten SLA, why not just make the Conduit work the same way I do?

Lastly, if I make a firm decision on what I'm playing, will you at least be able to tell me if the choices I have are acceptable prior to character approval? I dislike mid-game nerfs.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Mister_Sinister wrote:Lastly, if I make a firm decision on what I'm playing, will you at least be able to tell me if the choices I have are acceptable prior to character approval? I dislike mid-game nerfs.
Generally speaking, yes. I'm not a big psionics person, so lots of that stuff is confusing to me, and I won't see it's crazy uses off the top of my head.

cthulhu
Duke

Post by cthulhu »

Lock me in.. not sure what to play, we have heaps of brusiers and front lines and no rogues or a straight up mage or druid abuse machine, but the point is to play tome classes so lets blow off mages or druids.

So I might play a monk. Or a conduit monk.
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

Kaelik wrote:
Mister_Sinister wrote:Lastly, if I make a firm decision on what I'm playing, will you at least be able to tell me if the choices I have are acceptable prior to character approval? I dislike mid-game nerfs.
Generally speaking, yes. I'm not a big psionics person, so lots of that stuff is confusing to me, and I won't see it's crazy uses off the top of my head.
Last I checked there weren't any references to actual printed psionics in any of those classes.
Midnight_v
Knight-Baron

Post by Midnight_v »

Hobgoblin
Monk 1/Samurai 4
Weapon finesse
Point Blank shot.
Fighting Stlye: Blurred Mongoose Stlye. +4 Ac/+30ft movement
(though I have some questions about how the Ancestral weapon works in light of the book of gears changes to magic weapons)
Or....
Aasimar
Firemage 5
w/Mortal bane BoVd.
Elusive target.

Simple... to the point.
Don't hate the world you see, create the world you want....
Dear Midnight, you have actually made me sad. I took a day off of posting yesterday because of actual sadness you made me feel in my heart for you.
...If only you'd have stopped forever...
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

ubernoob wrote:
Kaelik wrote:
Last I checked there weren't any references to actual printed psionics in any of those classes.
Powers.

I saw a whole bunch of powers in that list.

Hicks
Duke

Post by Hicks »

As before, I am soooooooooooooo in. Character to follow.
"Besides, my strong, cult like faith in the colon of the cards allows me to pull whatever I need out of my posterior!"
-Kid Radd
shadzar wrote:those training harder get more, and training less, don't get the more.
Lokathor wrote:Anything worth sniffing can't be sniffed
Stuff I've Made
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

Kaelik wrote:
ubernoob wrote:
Kaelik wrote:
Powers.

I saw a whole bunch of powers in that list.
Scroll down. You'll see that those are patently not psionic powers.
God_of_Awesome
Knight-Baron

Post by God_of_Awesome »

Wait, my Champion class is bad?
Hicks
Duke

Post by Hicks »

KORE
"MY RAGE IS HUGE!"
I HOPE MY RAGE IS NOT SHOWING!
Male Human Barbarian 5 (Raised by Hydras)
Size/Type: Large Humanoid [Human]
Hit Dice: 5d12+10 (48 HP)
Initiaitive: +2
Speed: 30'
Armor Class: 23 (7 Armor + 5 Shield + 2 Dex - 1 Size)
BAB: +5
Attacks:
  • Battleaxe +13 (2d6+7, 20/x3)
    Armor Spikes +13 (1d8+7, 20/x2)
    Shield +13 (1d8+8, 20/x2)
Space/Reach: 10'/10', 10'
SA: Rage (-2 AC, +2 morale Atk/Dam/Saves, DR 4/-, +3d6 Rage Dice, Combat Movement +15', Battle Hardened, Sidestep Hazzards)
SQ: Fast Healing 5, DR 5/Adamantine, +4 Bullrush, +2 Disarm
Saves: Fortitude +6, Reflex +3, Willpower +1
Abilities: STR 20*, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 8
Skills: Intimidate +7, Hide +4, Listen +8, Move Silently +8, Spot +8
Feats: Two Weapon Fighting, Combat School**, Blitz
Alignment: Neutral Good
Stuff:
  • 1. Magic Adamantine Battleaxe
    2. Magic Adamantine Shield (+2 Bullrush, +2 Disarm)
    3. Magic Masterwork Adamantine Breastplate with Magic Adamantine Armor Spikes (ACP -5, ASP -2, Dex +3; DR 5/ Adamantine, +2 Bullrush)
    4. Giant Belt of Strength: When worn it provides an enhancement bonus to Strength and increases the wearer's and any of their held possession's natural size category by 1 (i.e. -1 AC/Attack, +4 Grapple, -4 Hide, Increases Reach, no mods top STR, DEX, or CON) as long as they wear this belt.
    Backpack with bedroll, trail rations, rope, pitons, and other crap i may or may not need to keep track of.
*266 lb light, 533 lb medium, and 800 lb heavy load
**10 headed strike style (Axe, Shield, and Spikes)

KORE's philosophy is simple, yet brilliant! It goes like this:
KILL-FRENZY-KILL-FRENZY-KILL-FRENZY-KILL-FRENZY-KILL-FRENZY-KILL-FRENZY-KILL-FRENZY-KILL-FRENZY-KILL-FRENZY-KILL-FRENZY-KILL-FRENZY-KILL-FRENZY-KILL-FRENZY-KILL-FRENZY-KILL-FRENZY-KILL-FRENZY-KILL-FRENZY-KILL-FRENZY-KILL-FRENZY-KILL-FRENZY-KILL-FRENZY-KILL-FRENZY-KILL-FRENZY-KILL-FRENZY-KILL-FRENZY-KILL-FRENZY-KILL-FRENZY-KILL-FRENZY-KILL-FRENZY-KILL-FRENZY-KILL-Oh, is that tea? How I love a nice, hot cup of -FRENZY-KILL-FRENZY-KILL-FRENZY-KILL-FRENZY-KILL-FRENZY-KILL-FRENZY-KILL-FRENZY-KILL-FRENZY-KILL-FRENZY-KILL-FRENZY-KILL-FRENZY-KILL-FRENZY-KILL-FRENZY!
And sometimes like this:
BROOKLYN RAGE!
Edited to have only 4 magic items
Edited to replace Belt of Magnificence with Giant Belt of Strength

Hey, God of Awesome, you need 5 levels of Barbarian before you can take the Fast Healing when you multiclass.
Last edited by Hicks on Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.
"Besides, my strong, cult like faith in the colon of the cards allows me to pull whatever I need out of my posterior!"
-Kid Radd
shadzar wrote:those training harder get more, and training less, don't get the more.
Lokathor wrote:Anything worth sniffing can't be sniffed
Stuff I've Made