NEW FEATURE: Ignore User

Practice posts and questions about the boards. The registration code for this board is 'Th3G@m|ngD3n' (Note the use of numbers and symbols!)

Moderator: Moderators

Manxome
Knight-Baron

Post by Manxome »

What's the point of that? The thread creator won't see the replies anyway, but if someone reading the thread wants to, why shouldn't they be allowed to? Even a thread creator doesn't seem like they should have the right to force everyone else on the forum to ignore someone.

Also, that provides a way for users to tell which other users have them set to ignore. Which you may not consider a problem, but it's currently private information (as far as I can tell), and I can imagine reasons people might want it to stay that way.
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

shadzar wrote:You need to maybe add the hack that connects the ignorelist to posting options, so that people on a thread creators ignorelist are not allowed to post in a thread made by someone who has them on ignore.
It would be quicker just to ban you.
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

Manxome

Well it already is a rule here (I was told yesterday), that you can put names in the title of people not allowed in the thread.

So the information is not private.

It normally doesn't prevent people from reading a thread by someone that has ignored them, but prevents them from posting, as the thread creator has no interest in hearing what they have to say anyway.

So I create a thread, you go to read it. You get no "reply" button because you are on my ignorelist. It only works for the thread, not every thread.

So it doesn't prevent you from replying to a thread that someone else created, when I have you on ignore, or vice versa.

It in no way forces others to ignore you, but just that you will not be allowed to post in a thread in which its creator does not want your opinion.

It is implemented on MANY other forums, and is an upgrade to newer phpBB versions.

It helps mods/admins from having to clean out threads of arguments by just not allowing people to post that may be causing problems for people that create threads.

Its purpose is much like the ignore list itself.

So other than being automated, how is it any different than the putting users names in a title saying "Bob, fred, jack don't post here" except for not having to expand the length of titles to accomodate lengthy lists of names?
Last edited by shadzar on Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Play the game, not the rules.
Swordslinger wrote:Or fuck it... I'm just going to get weapon specialization in my cock and whip people to death with it. Given all the enemies are total pussies, it seems like the appropriate thing to do.
Lewis Black wrote:If the people of New Zealand want to be part of our world, I believe they should hop off their islands, and push 'em closer.
good read (Note to self Maxus sucks a barrel of cocks.)
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

Why are you still posting?
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

ubernoob wrote:Why are you still posting?
Because I fucking can, and whether you believe it or not, I am not your slave or your possession, and you have no fucking say in what I do.

Ubernoob, go suck a barrel of cocks.
Last edited by shadzar on Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Swordslinger wrote:Or fuck it... I'm just going to get weapon specialization in my cock and whip people to death with it. Given all the enemies are total pussies, it seems like the appropriate thing to do.
Lewis Black wrote:If the people of New Zealand want to be part of our world, I believe they should hop off their islands, and push 'em closer.
Zherog
Knight-Baron

Post by Zherog »

If I were inclined to install such a mod, it would be fbmf's decision as to whether or not it would actually get installed. However, frankly, it sounds rather infantile to me. *shrug*
You can't fix stupid.

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." ~ Jackie Robinson
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

Who edited my post? Zherog did you add that "barrel" bit? NVM...it says fbmf did....

Zherog weren't you one of those on the WotC forums, that was for such a thing there to help prevent things like editions wars when 4th was announced? Are you the same Zherog from wotC, or am I mistaken?

(fbmf, if you make edits to the post in the database directly it doesn't show you changed the post, so you can make edits to any post you want without the system edit notification feature giving it away, in case you wanted to do such a thing and didn't know how.)

(Zherog, thanks for answering about moving threads/posts, and what the clone button does. phpBB comes with a generic FAQ and not a board specific one, and many hacks/mods don't install themselves to the FAQ to tell what a new feature does...or they don't in pre-phpBB3 at least...don't know if it does or not.)
Last edited by shadzar on Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

I assume that the fencebuilder edited it. Probably because in the reasons for reporting your post I included something along the lines of "Insulting is not in line with TGD accepted practice of 'go suck a barrel of cock' and ego is far too involved in the post.

Edit: Seriously, we don't care if you tell someone to suck a barrel of cocks. Generic insults are fine. Elaborate metaphors and such simply distract from the actual discussion and make it a contest of insults rather than wits. That's why TGD has the meme of "go suck a barrel of cocks." It actually facilitates good discussion to keep insults generic and sidepoints rather than the entire post.
Last edited by ubernoob on Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

Where is that at, it isn't in the rules thread?

Never heard "go suck a barrel of cocks" from anyone who told me about TGD...just heard Zherog posted here, but seems he never does on unoffical business :( ; and there was no "grandma rule".

EDIT: damn smilies and tags always going to the end of the post....i wanna fix that damn script so bad....not my forum...not my job....not my forum...not my job....
Last edited by shadzar on Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
Zherog
Knight-Baron

Post by Zherog »

shadzar wrote:Zherog weren't you one of those on the WotC forums, that was for such a thing there to help prevent things like editions wars when 4th was announced? Are you the same Zherog from wotC, or am I mistaken?
I'm the same Zherog from the WotC forums, yes. As far as I know, I'm the only person that uses that name anywhere on the intertubes. However, I don't recall ever posting (either in favor or against) linking ignore lists to who can and cannot post in a thread, at WotC or elsewhere. If I had posted on such a topic, I'd be against it though. Again, the entire concept seems infantile to me.

It seems to me that the it comes down to the concept of "thread ownership." There are some who believe that if they start a thread then they own it, get to guide it, control it, lead it, and so on. Then there are those who believe that once a thread is started, it's "released to the wild," free to go where it might and not really belonging to anybody. The grand majority of the time, I'm in the latter camp which might be why I see this requested feature as a bad thing.

Now, all that said... if fbmf wants it, I'll do what I can to get it installed. This is his forum, after all, not mine. I'm simply doing a friend a favor by fulfilling the admin function.
(fbmf, if you make edits to the post in the database directly it doesn't show you changed the post, so you can make edits to any post you want without the system edit notification feature giving it away, in case you wanted to do such a thing and didn't know how.)
Yep, it's possible but not something you're likely to see. We like the audit trail. In fact, we installed a mod that shows all edits; standard phpBB functionality doesn't show edit information if the post being edited is the last post of the thread. We changed that on purpose, because the audit trail is a good thing.
(Zherog, thanks for answering about moving threads/posts, and what the clone button does. phpBB comes with a generic FAQ and not a board specific one, and many hacks/mods don't install themselves to the FAQ to tell what a new feature does...or they don't in pre-phpBB3 at least...don't know if it does or not.)
You're welcome. :)
You can't fix stupid.

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." ~ Jackie Robinson
Draco_Argentum
Duke

Post by Draco_Argentum »

shadzar wrote:It normally doesn't prevent people from reading a thread by someone that has ignored them, but prevents them from posting, as the thread creator has no interest in hearing what they have to say anyway.
I might be interested in what people who get ignored have to say. That feature is a stupid idea.

Someone tell Shadzar that Zherog isn't an admin or mod, hes technical support.
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

@Draco: We tried. Didn't help.

@Shadzar: Why do I give a shit if you know I edited your post? I own the place.

[The Great Fence Builder Speaks]
I am not in favor of the requested mod.
[/TGFBS]
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

Whether you fucking care or not, I was informing you of ways to do it without notice, which above Zherog explained the hack being include TO show the edit trail. But an admin can get around that in this unencrypted version of phpBB.

Not something many users of phpBB even know. You may find need of it one day, and since Zherog is the tech savvy one, you now are armed with the info in case it IS needed so you don't have to ask later.

Also other people like to learn about forums and their software, and may have gained something from knowing that info, whether you wanted it or not.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

I would rather know if mods edit people's posts, so that I know if those are their words or not.

fbmf, please keep to the tradition of the board software and yourself to tell us.

-Crissa
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

fbmf wrote: @Shadzar: Why do I give a shit if you know I edited your post? I own the place.
That's one of the funnier things I've seen here all week.

"Oh, look at him strut around as if he owns the place."
"I do own the place, I'm the manager."
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

All right, everyone, I cleaned out my ignore list of everyone except for Frantic/Iron Mongler. Yes, everyone. No, I'm not going to say who I was ignoring. Except for you, Josh. You know what you did, you assgoblin.

So let's start out on a new foot.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

Can I just say I'm proud "suck a barrel of cocks" has become a meme?
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

I can no longer find the ignore list, where has it gone?

-Crissa
Zherog
Knight-Baron

Post by Zherog »

Crissa -- the link that appears in the first post of this thread still works for me. Is it no longer working for you?
You can't fix stupid.

Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

It was still pretty well hidden.

-Crissa
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Crissa wrote:It was still pretty well hidden.

-Crissa
I always find it by ignoring some random person.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

That seemed unwise.

-Crissa
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Crissa wrote:That seemed unwise.

-Crissa
Since it takes you right to the ignore page, you can immediately un-ignore them again.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

I didn't know that at the time.

-Crissa
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

-Anatole France

Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack